You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Teephud

Play less, get better...

17 comments in this topic

[TF_16]
Members
80 posts
4,129 battles

I have a bit of an addictive personality, and usually find myself binge playing for way too long.  This usually results in my real world life getting all outta wack.  Eventually I burn out and quit all together, once going as far as uninstalling.  I've often heard both here and with WOT (which I have given up), that playing too much results in bad play.  Anyway, last week I quite again, but after a few days figured I'd play just a couple games... So the last few days, I've only been playing a handful of games each, and my stats have improved enormously... https://na.warships.today/player/1010290562/Teephud  I'm sure it'll all fall apart tomorrow, but the last couple days have been great!  

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
961 posts
10,052 battles

This is good advice. I try to get my 3 crates every time I play. If really start to suck, I just quit. If I'm on a roll I keep playing. Some days I'm just horrible, knowing when to quit is great.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,642 posts

I have had similar experiences.  It seems that taking the occasional day or two off resets... something, and when I next log on, I get lots of good matches and my play improves.

If I log on every day, the quality of games seems to devolve, minor annoyances become major annoyances, and after a while, I can't play to save my life.

After a while, the RNG factor of the game can make you want to tear your hair out or bang you head against a wall...

Spending too much time on the forums reading the litany of whines, grumbles, pointless arguments and other such drama also negatively affects my attitude towards the game.

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,377 battles
1 hour ago, Teephud said:

I have a bit of an addictive personality, and usually find myself binge playing for way too long.  This usually results in my real world life getting all outta wack.  Eventually I burn out and quit all together, once going as far as uninstalling.  I've often heard both here and with WOT (which I have given up), that playing too much results in bad play.  Anyway, last week I quite again, but after a few days figured I'd play just a couple games... So the last few days, I've only been playing a handful of games each, and my stats have improved enormously... https://na.warships.today/player/1010290562/Teephud  I'm sure it'll all fall apart tomorrow, but the last couple days have been great!  

This is just plain silly.  Oh, I'm not actually doubting that less, but more focused play might help one's stats.  What I think is silly is caring so much about your stats that you're not doing what you started playing the game to do in the first place, i.e. PLAY THE GAME.

[TF_16]
Members
80 posts
4,129 battles

I don't care so much for stats, other than simply being a reflection of whether I'm doing well or sucking.  There's a pretty good correlation between my how I'm playing, and the likelihood that I may throw my mouse threw my screen... 

Actually, a better metric for me is my karma score.  Recently, it was rapidly approaching 0, but in the last week, I've received a handful of compliments, which feels good.  

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,009 posts
4,623 battles

I tend to play 1 to 3 matches a night. Keeps things balanced

Members
112 posts
3,376 battles
1 hour ago, Teephud said:

Hahahahaha I am in the same boat as you * pun intended,   I think if one plays to much one stops trying due to boredom of the game, then if one plays less.

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,306 battles

First of all, congrats on your own method of play. You and yourself alone should dictate how this game is played for your own enjoyment, and not others.

Otherwise, it isn't fun. What's the point.

Secondly, That website stat doesn't have 100% of all actions taken within your games. It clearly states them too. Those stats may show a general sense of progression or regression. However it misses out on other smaller details.  Their calculations are misleading at worst, and falsely representing your track record at best. 

Lastly, I too have been a sucker for that websites attraction. Purely the labels of "Unicum", "Super Unicum" (above average labels). I have recently gained a label of "Super Unicum" with my destroyer gameplay. But, I just see that as a false sense of gratification. 

Limiting your gameplay. Due to a arbitrary website performance calculations, is a sure fire way to really under perform in team games. Where your contributions (no matter the ship type) should be in, ideally. Not towards, an imperfect sense of progression metric by padding only your own track record.

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
1 hour ago, AspiringCodger said:

The best decision I ever made related to this game was to turn off my stats.  I enjoy it much more now.

While I aint turned mine off, I rarely look at them. Personally, I couldn't care less about stats, mine or anyone else's. It's a GAME.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,615 posts
10,296 battles
28 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

While I aint turned mine off, I rarely look at them. Personally, I couldn't care less about stats, mine or anyone else's. It's a GAME.

I've been on a stat improving spree, always been trying to improve. Kinda stalled on wtr but WR has never been higher

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
19 hours ago, AspiringCodger said:

The best decision I ever made related to this game was to turn off my stats.  I enjoy it much more now.

I agree that the game is more enjoyable when you don't care about stats. However your stats are your's own them. 

Without context they are all but useless anyways. But since you know how you play you can look at your stats and see what you need to work on.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
19 hours ago, Teephud said:

There are 3 things that every good player needs to accept if he/she is to be successful in this game and not lose his mind/burn out after only a few months of playing. These 3 things are the following:

1. Accept the simple fact that everyone on your team is a f*cking ret*rd. This way you set your expectations so low, that you don't become disappointed every time someone on your team does something stupid.

2. Do NOT play for stats, or you will find yourself not enjoying the game very quickly.

3. Play in a division, ideally with people who are better than you. That way you have backup in the match, a certain social component, and also someone to listen to your b*tching when your team mates do something stupid.

Edited by Ulthwey

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,306 battles
44 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

There are 3 things that every good player needs to accept if he/she is to be successful in this game and not lose his their mind/burn out after only a few months of playing. These 3 things are the following:

1. Accept the simple fact that everyone on your team are  is a f*cking ret*rd not all experienced players. This way, you set your expectations so low, that you don't become disappointed every time someone on your team does something stupid exceptionally.

2. Do NOT play for stats, or you will find yourself not enjoying the game very quickly.

3. Play in a division, ideally with people who are better than you. That way you have backup in the match, a certain social component, and also someone to listen to your b*tching venting when your team mates do something stupid (within Division chat).

Let me rephrase that for ya.

I would agree with your points, 2 and 3. 

Specifically the your third point. Being in a Division with more experienced players are always going to resulting in a positive outcome. Win or a loss.

However, being in a Division with great synergy of ships will be more powerful when played optimally. I've noticed a few well known YouTubers do this to pad/maintain/insure their stats.

[DARTH]
Members
555 posts
14,815 battles

Good plan, OP.  Going on tilt and continuing to play in a bad session will only make it worse.  Sometimes you just gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and especially ... know when to run.

A wise friend told me if you get two losses in a row, just quit and do something else.  I think that he was right.  I've ignored that advice to my own misfortune.

Quality > Quantity, you know...  :)

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,761 battles
8 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

There are 3 things that every good player needs to accept if he/she is to be successful in this game and not lose his mind/burn out after only a few months of playing. These 3 things are the following:

1. Accept the simple fact that everyone on your team is a f*cking ret*rd. This way you set your expectations so low, that you don't become disappointed every time someone on your team does something stupid.

3. Play in a division, ideally with people who are better than you. That way you have backup in the match, a certain social component, and also someone to listen to your b*tching when your team mates do something stupid.

this is why i cant enjoy WoT anymore...i feel disappointed in myself if im not in purple for the day...

meanwhile here i can go full on alluh ahkbar and ram someone and still somehow be better than average with no prior homework memorization or research.