You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Viper101

Bismark/Scharnhorst

15 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,853 battles

So, I feel as though something is off with these ships for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I love em both, and a secondary speced Bismarck is absolutely hilarious in the odd tier 6 match I get, but for some reason the win rates just aren't adding up with my other stats. 

Granted, I am still trying to get a feel for the Bis, more tier 10 matchmaking than anything else, bu the scharn I like to think I understand. 

So what are your tips for improving your win rate in these ships? 

How do I go about improving my play in these ships so that I can get my win rates up. 

And for those of you that say winrate doesn't matter, it does to me.

Plus almost every match I have in these is enjoyable (except for the losing part). 

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles

Captain skills matter a lot. I'm not brilliant on the Bismarck but pretty good by my humble standards (55% WR over 280 battles) but over half those battles are with a 19-pt captain, set up for secondaries etc.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,504 battles
5 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love em both, and a secondary speced Bismarck is absolutely hilarious in the odd tier 6 match I get, but for some reason the win rates just aren't adding up with my other stats. 

Granted, I am still trying to get a feel for the Bis, more tier 10 matchmaking than anything else, bu the scharn I like to think I understand. 

How do I go about improving my play in these ships so that I can get my win rates up. 

Plus almost every match I have in these is enjoyable (except for the losing part). 

Stuff like damage is pretty much down to your own doing alone. WR is a little harder to pad. One person, no matter how skilled, can only make so big a difference. Sometimes the best player on the server will lose because 9-10 other teammatesare sunk within 5 minutes. To pad your WR I would suggest a three man unicum division 

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,504 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Captain skills matter a lot. I'm not brilliant on the Bismarck but pretty good by my humble standards (55% WR over 280 battles) but over half those battles are with a 19-pt captain, set up for secondaries etc.

Also this. I don’t recommend the secondary build unless you’re meme-ing. Try going for a tank build or a main battery build. Secondaries:lol memez, main batteries: kill memes

[FML]
Members
4,088 posts
15,956 battles
6 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

Actually, I have a similar experience. My stats in Bismarck and Scharnhorst are lower than in my Tirpitz and Gniesenau. 

Not sure what the key difference is, but could be working out in advance when to turn away to heal. Obviously less scope to do that in a tier 10 battle. 

[VANN]
[VANN]
Members
963 posts
5,902 battles

Knowing when to hang on the border of the engagement vs. when to push full force makes a big difference with these two.  Just sailing straight in too soon and getting wrecked doesn't work out well...

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

Bismark does best as a bully against weaker targets.  I'm not good in her, but I for some reason have a high win rate because I play her like a damn crazy person and the ship can take it.  Don't care what DD you are in, a Bismark with hydro and a secondary build is a problem if you cant get unspotted.

Shinyhorse has fast guns and great armor.  Probably my favorite battleship.  The low caliber doesn't bother me, you just have to be creative with target selection.  6km torps dont suck either.

Members
4,247 posts
9,871 battles
8 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Also this. I don’t recommend the secondary build unless you’re meme-ing. Try going for a tank build or a main battery build. Secondaries:lol memez, main batteries: kill memes

Me, meme-ing? Perish the thought. I just enjoy brawling with them as back up, plus DE.

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,853 battles
7 hours ago, FireAndHEspam said:

So should I respec for a tank/main battery build? 

If what skills does that entail?

[WOLF3]
Members
28,176 posts
24,541 battles

High Tier matches (VIII-X) are very much harsher on WR% than the previous tiers.  It's just unforgiving.  It is not surprising at all for decent players' WR% for their High Tier stuff to sit close to, or even below 50%, especially for Tier X ships, in contrast to their lower tiered ships.

The meta shift at High Tier is also different.  For Bismarck and German BBs, the greatest example is the problem many players of those ships have when they're fighting bottom tier, or when moving to FDG and GK.  11.3km secondaries are nice when you're Top Tier in Bismarck and all, but at Tier X, nobody gives a s--t about your fancy secondaries when they're obliterating you at 15km+.

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
9,452 battles
8 hours ago, Viper101 said:

Because secondary build is a meme. Adrenaline rush + survivability all the way for BBs.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Just my opinion. Most KM Battleships above tier 7 have awesome Secondaries,with the 19 pt captain at the helm skilled in the right way.You end up with One Awesome BB. Played right 200 - 250 secondary hits is normal. The secondary keep those pesky DD's at arms length. and in a duel with another BB non spect for secondary will fall fast. I fight with main battery my biggest threat and lock my secondaries on the next closest ship. Two targets for the time is takes to kill one. The turtle back armor takes a beating but holds up in close combat. 

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles
9 hours ago, FireAndHEspam said:

My Scharnhorst, and the Captain I use with her, is AA specced. She aint a awesome bug zapper but she does drop enough gnats (24 in one battle) to sometimes convince a CV driver to leave me alone. (which is the whole idea)

Scharine's secondaries are good enough as is. I've gotten more "Close Quarters Expert" achievements with this ship than any other.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,504 battles
5 hours ago, Viper101 said:

So should I respec for a tank/main battery build? 

If what skills does that entail?

Its all up to you in the end. If you go for a tank build, the idea is to take skills that enhance your survival in a match; High Alert, Vigilance, Fire Prevention, BoS, etc. Same goes for upgrades. With the MB build its the same thing, but you’re going for skills and upgrades that will enhance the power of your main batteries  

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,098 posts
11,313 battles

When first unlocking the Bismarck. I played her like other BBs would do. Stay at some acceptable range and use her guns to raise the attrition rate of damages over time.

However, upon realising a maximised potential for Bismarck with 19 point captain for secondary fires output.  I have changed my tactic completely.

I am now more aggressive with her than ever before with any battleships (I am 80% aggressive in games no matter the ship class. First to fire, last to leave a cap by capture, assist, support). Having a 11km + secondary range fires also helps with pesky DDs contesting the caps too.

Use her relatively quick turning rudders, and speed to her max output. It's a total change of play that you're used to before the Gneisenau stage.