You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Do Fletcher/Gearing captains do well on the Sims?

30 comments in this topic

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

I'm debating getting the Sims. I love USN destroyer play and think it'd be a fun ship to get and use to get credits.

However, I'm not really sure whether my current Gearing captain build really would work that great for the Sims. I'm assuming the Sims does well for credit farming as well as captain xp (given its modifier) but do you need a dedicated captain for it? 

Members
1,731 posts
11,839 battles

i am not seeing anything wrong with that build.  that works for the higher tier US DDs.(7 and up)  i personally like AR for the faster torp reloads + guns.

anyways, i am sure others can tell you if the sims is worth it or not. 

[PROJX]
Members
1,120 posts
41,079 battles

The main incompatibility w/ a Gearing build is that many Gearing owners use the Torp Accel Commander’s skill since the Gearing torp range can easily take the 20% range hit (still over 13km using this skill) for 5 extra knots of speed.  Your build doesn’t use this for the Gearing so it should work fine on a Sims.

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
1,034 posts
7,502 battles

I have all the USN destroyers from Farragut up to Gearing (excluding Mahan because I’ve got the Sims). My Gearing Capt is the only one I have faster torps in exchange for range (can’t remember what it’s called). I can still use my Gearing Capt in the Sims but it obviously shortens your “torp stealth range” because of that. Still very useable though and it’s as fun a ship as any of the others!!

I did see Flamu had the USS Kidd (WIP) video up the other day so perhaps that one maybe realeased Soon(tm) so you might want to check out the vid to see if it would be worth waiting for that instead!? Sims is still a good trainer for all the Capts though imho

[DARTH]
Members
555 posts
16,167 battles

The Sims is a good boat if you enjoy the US gunboat cap-contesting style of play.  The torpedoes are meh.

I should probably take mine out again sometime for giggles, but I've been on a bit of a battleship binge lately, so ... yeah.

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

That build will be fine on the Sims. The torps are a chore to hit anything with because they're so slow is the only thing. I usually have AR on my USN dd but this should work fine. The one thing The Sims suffers from is her damage output. It can be a tad underwhelming unless you daka daka a ton. 

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles
9 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

That build will be fine on the Sims. The torps are a chore to hit anything with because they're so slow is the only thing. I usually have AR on my USN dd but this should work fine. The one thing The Sims suffers from is her damage output. It can be a tad underwhelming unless you daka daka a ton. 

Torps are best used to delay an advance.  They are really hard to spot.

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,089 battles

Sims can be tough to love.  Her guns are good, but her torps are terrible.  You can choose either 65 knot torps with 5.5 km range (your concealment is 6.6 km with CE) or 49 knot torps with 9.2 km range.  Just about anything can dodge 49 knot torps.  By the time they have reached their max range you have reloaded (72 sec reload, or 87 sec reload for short range, fast torps) and are ready to launch the next set.

There is a reason Sims' torpedoes are also called "sea mines".  They are just about as fast as an anchored mine.

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,313 battles

I sometimes even play my BB captains on the Sims as long as they have stealth. 19 point Steven Seagal Montana Captain does good and gets Elite Captain XP.

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
28 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

I have all the USN destroyers from Farragut up to Gearing (excluding Mahan because I’ve got the Sims). My Gearing Capt is the only one I have faster torps in exchange for range (can’t remember what it’s called). I can still use my Gearing Capt in the Sims but it obviously shortens your “torp stealth range” because of that. Still very useable though and it’s as fun a ship as any of the others!!

I did see Flamu had the USS Kidd (WIP) video up the other day so perhaps that one maybe realeased Soon(tm) so you might want to check out the vid to see if it would be worth waiting for that instead!? Sims is still a good trainer for all the Capts though imho

I wonder if USS Kidd actually will be released. I probably will buy whatever ship from doubloons vs the store, which means it'd be a while before I could get the Kidd I think.

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,118 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

There is a reason Sims' torpedoes are also called "sea mines".  They are just about as fast as an anchored mine.

Actually I am convinced that is exactly why they hit so much.  People seem to misjudge them as everything else at T7 is faster.   Just keep laying them out in shipping lanes.  

Just about any US DD build will work for Sims.  

[-N-]
Members
2,288 posts
15,955 battles

I would say a Fletcher captain would be fine.  Like others on the Gearing I wouldn't use that Captain on the Sims.

Members
5,202 posts

Yep, that'll work perfectly with Sims. Arguments can be made for BFT, DE, AR, or PT, but the build you have on your Gearing will translate quite well to the Sims. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

Why do people still think Sims is a good for cap contesting? With its 13km range, it's like playing a German DD before the gun bloom was fixed.  Fire those things and everyone is spotting you.  They need to give the Sims the option of shorter ranged guns, otherwise it's not worth playing let alone purchasing in it's current state.

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,118 battles
5 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

With its 13km range, it's like playing a German DD before the gun bloom was fixed.  Fire those things and everyone is spotting you.  

I play it with AFT too for the 15.5 range.  Sure they can spot you, but its more than easy to dodge in sims.  I run IFA on mine, as soon as that flickers, change course 15* and keep pounding the cap.   Nothing shooting at you inside the cap will set it off.  

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles
7 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

I play it with AFT too for the 15.5 range. 

Why? It's not like you're hitting anything excpt maybe a BB that crashed into an island

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,118 battles
Just now, Ju87s said:

Why? It's not like you're hitting anything excpt maybe a BB that crashed into an island

7.2km AA, my friend ;) 

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles
55 minutes ago, Psicopro said:

Torps are best used to delay an advance.  They are really hard to spot.

On the sims they're best use is to get DOT. They aren't fast enough to delay anyone unless it's through a bottleneck or they're a hard core straight line hero. 

Turning your head to one side is enough to dodge them.

@JU_87 Why do you need 13km range on one of the best knife fighting DD's in the game? You have short range guns. Literally. AFT is pointless unless you're going with an AA build. 

Edited by Vekta408

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

I've had success firing it at incoming enemies because their own speed works against them since their detection range is so short.

[HKC]
Members
995 posts
25,859 battles
37 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Why do people still think Sims is a good for cap contesting? With its 13km range, it's like playing a German DD before the gun bloom was fixed.  Fire those things and everyone is spotting you.  They need to give the Sims the option of shorter ranged guns, otherwise it's not worth playing let alone purchasing in it's current state.

I did okay in mine during the Op.  Its guns are good vs other DDs in cap.  Which is usually when I would engage.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,654 posts
10,699 battles

Works fine unless you sue the Torp Acceleration on the Gearing, then no its not.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles
57 minutes ago, muswp1 said:

How useful is Smoke Screen Expert on US DD's?

Not worth the 2pt investment because the default 30sec smoke timer is enough to spread large enough smoke area.