You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

Just Curious how many of us have military background?

Just Curious how many of us have Military background  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Yes I was in the military

• I am a Military Retiree/Veteran
    • I am Military Veteran
    • I am currently in the Military
    • No - But I have a Family Member who has served/is serving.
    • No.

119 comments in this topic

Members
4,203 posts

Just out Curiosity: How many of us are ex-military, military retirees and currently in the military?

Does not matter what country, and you do not have to give out any personal information.

I served Eight Years in the US Navy. And I have come across a few others on these forums who have served.

And one more thing to all my Military Sisters and Brothers - Active or Veteran; Thank you for your Service:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,089 battles

Six years US Navy, '88-'94.  VP-60, which was a P-3 squadron.  I was an AT2.

4yJseSM.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

I was in the Navy from '73 - '77.  I was an AG3, doing upper air observations (releasing and tracking weather balloons and recording weather data high in the atmosphere).  I was stationed on Midway Island for a while (and yes, Albatross deserve the name "Gooney Birds," but they are absolutely amazing to watch in flight).  @desmo_2, Orions used to land at Midway occasionally.  I always loved the lines on that aircraft.

Most people in the kind of work I did (both upper air and surface observers) would be stationed around air bases (like Midway) or on aircraft carriers.  After I left Midway, I was stationed in a rather unique unit.  We deployed temporarily mostly on ships that didn't normally carry weather personnel and would typically take one ship out to a destination then hop on another to come back.  The idea was to get upper air data across a specific area where there were no land stations.  This put me on a number of different kinds of ships: two CGs (guided missile cruisers), two LPHs (helicopter carriers), two LPDs and an LSD (amphibious transports), and even a USNS oiler.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

While I myself am not, my father, and both grandfathers were in the Navy. Desert Storm and Vietnam respectively.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Proud son of a Vietnam veteran Marine. Intended to join the Navy but blew my left knee out (and bent it back the wrong way) playing football when I was 17 and it was never quite right afterward so I never got to. Really wish I had been able to. Nothing but respect for you guys. :Smile_honoring:

Members
4,203 posts

Well I was in from 1978 to 1986, my first ship was the USS El Paso LKA-117, then I re-up spent time at shore Duty SIMA - Norfolk, then I commissioned the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41.

I was Engineman and made it to E-5, I worked on everything from Steering Gear Systems and Diesel Engines to Galley Equipment. I was a dirty SNIPE:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

Members
4,203 posts
25 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Proud son of a Vietnam veteran Marine. Intended to join the Navy but blew my left knee out (and bent it back the wrong way) playing football when I was 17 and it was never quite right afterward so I never got to. Really wish I had been able to. Nothing but respect for you guys. :Smile_honoring:

25 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

While I myself am not, my father, and both grandfathers were in the Navy. Desert Storm and Vietnam respectively.

Thank your Fathers, and Grandfather for their service.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,876 posts
7,310 battles

EMC(SW) USN/USNR 27 years.  nec 3384.  First ship USS Nashville LPD 13, then CVN 65 Enterprise.  Last command was NSA Bahrain.  Lots of stuff in-between.

Edited by Murotsu

[OSNAV]
Alpha Tester
485 posts
11,484 battles

I was 9 years in the parachute brigade of the Brazilian army.

many try the few they can !!:Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
8 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I was in from 1978 to 1986, my first ship was the USS El Paso LKA-117, then I re-up spent time at shore Duty SIMA - Norfolk, then I commissioned the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41.

@Chaos_EN2, the LSD I was on for one cruise was the USS Fort Fisher - LSD-40.  It was the first amphibious transport I had sailed on.  One of the most amusing memories I had while in the Navy was from being on that ship.  I still chuckle when I think of it some 42 years later.

Not long after we put to sea at the beginning of the trip, I was inside the ship, walking from somewhere aft towards the forward sections of the ship, and it was starting to become noticeably more of an effort to walk.  Even though I knew the function of the ship, it didn't dawn on me as to why until I stepped out and saw the horizon.

For those not familiar with the ship type, LSDs are one of the types of ships that carry landing craft.  They have a "well deck" that can be flooded by partially lowering the aft end of the ship into the water, allowing them to launch landing craft from inside the ship.  Since I was in a mobile detachment that was only temporarily attached to the ship and not part of its function, and because my job had me up at odd hours, I did not know at the time they were conducting some practice runs and had flooded the well deck as part of the drills.

I stepped out on deck and saw the horizon at an angle compared to the ship, and I had to laugh because it became clear as to why it felt like I was walking up hill.  I was!  I still remember how odd it felt not having any visual cues as to the angle of the ship from the inside then stepping outside and clearly seeing the difference.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
1 hour ago, Murotsu said:

EMC(SW) USN/USNR 27 years.  nec 3384.  First ship USS Nashville LPD 13, then CVN 65 Enterprise.  Last command was NSA Bahrain.  Lots of stuff in-between.

I was on the USS Juneau, LPD-10, and USS Dubuque, LPD-8, for a couple of short trips.

I was never deployed on the USS Enterprise, but part of my unit's job while we were not out on temporary deployments was to sometimes train weather personnel on ships in port.  One time when she was in port in San Diego, we visited her for that purpose. I remember stepping out of the weather office and into the passage way.  If I recall correctly, the office was just about exactly amidships, and it gave you a real sense of the enormous size of the ship as you saw the passage way getting smaller and smaller in the distance in both directions.

I never made it to the Middle East, but my son was in the Marines.  He spent some time in Bahrain.

[ONE]
Members
376 posts

Flew for the Army 27 years - 1979-2006.  Spent my time flying UH1s, CH47s and AH64s.

Edited by 6thGuards

[SMI-1]
Members
376 posts
9,552 battles

Thank You Chaos, as for myself 28 years US Air Force / USN Sere Instructor. And to all of you that have served and are serving Thank You for your Service.

Members
548 posts
2,157 battles
On 10/26/2017 at 8:20 AM, Chaos_EN2 said:

Just out Curiosity: How many of us are ex-military, military retirees and currently in the military?

Does not matter what country, and you do not have to give out any personal information.

I served Eight Years in the US Navy. And I have come across a few others on these forums who have served.

And one more thing to all my Military Sisters and Brothers - Active or Veteran; Thank you for your Service:Smile_honoring:

I should not post here but good judgment is not what I am known for.

I wish to say a very Humble thank you to all military persons from every country. You are wonderful brave Women and Men. to place others lives before your own and service to Country. It is a great honor to converse with you and know

some of you if only through these forums. It has made me a better person to learn from you and hear your wonderful stories. I know some have lost friend and loved ones. to military actions and accidents. All I can say is you have my gratitude and love. 

Having grown up In Yokosuka, and live their now. USN and RN hold a special place in my heart. (USMC ) also. I see your ships and personnel every day I am in city. and it gladdens my heart and I feel safer you are here. and I pray for

you and your families. 

The only military I know of with past generations where IJN and do not believe they would be welcome here. But am immensely honored you have accepted me here. Thank you all again for your service.and kindness.

1145.jpg.395aa3a928d9710015c62c0fdfc1a793.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
420 posts
7,739 battles

I voted no but I had totally forgotten my Dad did compulsory military service in Britain in the late 50's before I was born. No active duty so his army stories were about his battle to stay awake during guard duty, the appalling food  and the number of times he was promoted to Corporal. I can't remember the exact number but it was more than once. :Smile_playing:

Edited by Terkoz

[O_O]
Members
7,895 posts
22,089 battles
On 10/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, Murotsu said:

Last command was NSA Bahrain.

My son is there, now.  AE2 with an H-60 squadron.  He has been in the Navy for 4.5 years.

As I said above, I was in the Navy for 6 years.  My dad served in the National Guard.  One of my grandfathers served in the Army Air Forces, another in the Navy, both during WWII.  So, my son is a 4th generation military man.

[RICCO]
Members
144 posts
42,104 battles

I had to vote no....however my father was an A-4 Skyhawk pilot who served in Vietnam off the USS Ticonderoga. I draw my game name from his squadron. Thanks dad for your service.

image099.jpg.crdownload