You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_of_Satisfaction

The Cost of Halloween

14 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
876 posts

I think the Halloween game mode for the holiday is pretty cool. Getting a 19 point Captain and all of the different ships, also cool.   It’s fun to have this holiday feature and all the work they did on it, it is quite impressive. Great job with ships and map WG.

BUT WG rewards us by making a spend heaps of money on a temporary holiday mission. Why?

Why do I have to spend 7 million silver to set up my ship?  I mean if you want to run the ship properly you’ll need to set it up, and it is quite pricey!  So in order to play this temporary mission to which no one knows what they’re doing anyway, I must spend upwards of 7 million just to equip my ship. And that goes for EVERY ship! Then after I play, I realize I’d like to re-spec my captain. Well guess what, another 450 gold just to re-spec the captain on a temporary mission. Are you kidding me?

I refused and only chose those that are free, which is nothing much.  Anything worth anything COSTS. Just like the rest of the game.  So you are behind the eight ball right off the bat. And WG wants to make holiday money off you, but you CAN play for FREE. Ugh.

The missions should be free, especially since they are so difficult to put together a team that is competent and can actually win the game. It would be nice to be able to Spec a ship without having to empty your bank. Happy Holidays, and spend spend spend.

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,412 posts
15,550 battles

Now imagine that you did the mission, failed the first four times, and succeeded for two stars on the fifth, only to be glitched and not get the rewards. 

That was me.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,279 battles

WHy would you waste $ to re-spec the Halloween captains?  You get to pick your skills for them, you shouldn't need to re-spec them.  As for modules, well, you don't *have* to use them.  And if you choose to do so, when the event is over and the ships are taken back, you get those modules back in your inventory so you can place them on other ships.  So it isn't like you're tossing that 7 mil credits down a well.

• Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles

You get the modules back you realize and can sell or use on other ships?  Heck if you had any laying around from missions or the like you don't even need to buy new ones.  Also as 19 pt captains all the XP they earn is free elite commander XP.  You can use this elite commander XP to respec if you so choose without costing doubloons.  

Honestly the only "give us money" they are doing here is hiding the special camos behind grab bag container purchases.  However those give no advantage and are not required to play the event, and only affect the OCD collectors amongst us.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
11 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

You get the modules back you realize and can sell or use on other ships?  Heck if you had any laying around from missions or the like you don't even need to buy new ones.  Also as 19 pt captains all the XP they earn is free elite commander XP.  You can use this elite commander XP to respec if you so choose without costing doubloons.  

Honestly the only "give us money" they are doing here is hiding the special camos behind grab bag container purchases.  However those give no advantage and are not required to play the event, and only affect the OCD collectors amongst us.

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Beta Testers
876 posts
22 hours ago, kerensky914 said:

WHy would you waste $ to re-spec the Halloween captains?  You get to pick your skills for them, you shouldn't need to re-spec them.  As for modules, well, you don't *have* to use them.  And if you choose to do so, when the event is over and the ships are taken back, you get those modules back in your inventory so you can place them on other ships.  So it isn't like you're tossing that 7 mil credits down a well.

Because I spec’d my Captain, played a few games and want to change the spec.  Is that so rare?  Also, it wants over 130k of my free xp to do it without gold.  I will not pay to respec, just a comment.

I do not need or want modules for a bb, so they really do me little good.  I was not aware you had them to sell back, derrr... my bad.  Still, not much there to work with since I’m low on silver. 

But to respec the captains should be free.  And it shouldn’t be that much for other ships either.  My opinion this is too high just for a simple respec., in the main game and the holiday stuff.  

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,279 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Because I spec’d my Captain, played a few games and want to change the spec.  Is that so rare?  Also, it wants over 130k of my free xp to do it without gold.  I will not pay to respec, just a comment.

I do not need or want modules for a bb, so they really do me little good.  I was not aware you had them to sell back, derrr... my bad.  Still, not much there to work with since I’m low on silver. 

But to respec the captains should be free.  And it shouldn’t be that much for other ships either.  My opinion this is too high just for a simple respec., in the main game and the holiday stuff.  

Ah, OK.  Yeah, definitely don't waste doubs respeccing.  I wonder, are you playing all 4 of the event ships?  I haven't tried this (and can't b/c I am at work right now) but I wonder if the event captains can be swapped between ships?  So if all you ever play is DDs, as an example, you could use the CV captain for one build, the BB captain for another, etc. and just swap them out as you like.  Not sure you can - the even ships may all be considered separate nations (or not premiums, which would just as thoroughly tank this idea) for all I know, but it is at least worth a shot and doesn't cost anything if it works.

Anyway, if you're that concerned about the cost, just play the ships without the modules.  Trust me, you'll still be more effective than a lot of the randoms out there.  And if you get on a good team that works together you won't miss the modules anyway.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,222 posts
23,599 battles

Instead of re-specing the captain, I just pulled one off another event ship and gave them the skills I changed my mind about. You can use all of them interchangeably and since I only used the Igor in the first scenario, had the other two captains to play with whom I never gave any skills to. Not going to waste doubloons if I don't have to. 

[WWSB]
Members
294 posts

2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Instead of re-specing the captain, I just pulled one off another event ship and gave them the skills I changed my mind about. You can use all of them interchangeably and since I only used the Igor in the first scenario, had the other two captains to play with whom I never gave any skills to. Not going to waste doubloons if I don't have to. 

"I like it" :Smile_great:      "Promote him" :Smile_medal:

Beta Testers
876 posts
11 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I play them all, so I spec’d them all.  I just don’t think they should charge for respec of a Captain.  You should be able to respec for FREE or at the very least, a small amount like 10g or 20k silver.  I like to try differing specs as well, and that feature has always miffed me.

On a temporary mission, I think it’s just cheap and silly not to let us play around trying differing setups, especially with the captains.  I don’t like moving captains around all the time.  I just think it’s another way to squeeze gold, and I don’t think it’s necessary.  Not everything should have to cost you, especially when they claim you can play and enjoy for free.  Theoretically yes, and please don’t bombard me with comments about playing the game for free.  I am fully aware that you can technically play this game for free. I am also aware that if you want to enjoy it, if you like to play with the best features, you need to pay. And this is another example of that. 

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles

Firstly Wows has got to make $ or this game comes to a screeching halt

secondly I dought spending money on the ships is going to make a hudge difference on winning most games , if yea cant afford it .... no worries mate

Beta Testers
876 posts
22 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Firstly Wows has got to make $ or this game comes to a screeching halt

secondly I dought spending money on the ships is going to make a hudge difference on winning most games , if yea cant afford it .... no worries mate

Yes, I’m aware.  I am one of the people that spend a lot on the game.  I have a numerous premiums including the Sims, Belfast, Kutuzov, Indy, and several more.  I’ve bought premium since beta and I buy flags often.  So, I do not feel it is the least bit hypocritical of me to complain about what I think is going overboard with pricing.

WG isn’t the only one, it is the wave of the future in gaming. Make the game attractive, but make it so much more attractive to play with in game purchasing and methods or techniques to get you to buy more and more. As was pointed out, there is a slightly older demographic to this game. I think this is probably a good thing for WG since old retired farts like me are willing to open their wallets. Not that there aren't plenty of young gamers on here paying a lot, too. 

I just purchased a golf game for my iPad Pro. Sure enough if you want to hit the ball more than 200 yards, you’ll need to purchase the proper clubs. Of course those cost money, and if you want to earn some of them it takes forever.  Meanwhile you get the pants beat of you every time because the other guy already has the best clubs.  If you want to be competitive and not lose every game, well you’ve got to have the clubs. And of course there are some that you cannot own, but you can purchase them and of course they are the best clubs in the game.  You can compete with anyone but if you want to be a winner you need the longer clubs.  It’s psychology 101 and it is aggravating as hell. I so much more appreciate the programs that I buy one time and get to use until I lose interest or continue to use forever. 

One example is Rocket League. That Xbox game is a blast, cost me $20 and is still being updated with great success. You can buy stuff in the game to your hearts content, but it’s all cosmetic stuff. Your purchased car is no better than the unpurchased free car. If you want cool looks and stuff you are welcome to buy but it does not affect your game.  You don’t gain a physical advantage through money. And that is the problem in a nutshell.

I have absolutely no problem with gaming companies making huge money for profits. I would hope and expect that. But the new culture in gaming of nickel and diming people through more and more of these techniques is getting pretty obnoxious.   When the monetary unit affects your game negatively or positively, that’s where I have a problem. Should a noob want to purchase a Tirpitz and jump head first into tier 8 -  I think you know where I’m going with this… 

Another example is Witcher 3.  I paid $20 for the game, and $15 for the huge DLC and the game is FULL of wonderful things (thousands) you can attain, earn through skill and discover over and over.  It’s fantastic and it doesn’t want $$$ from me every day. It can be done. 

I just think it would be a whole lot smarter to not be charged at every turn like dismounting a part. Imagine if windows charged you each time you wanted to unmount a drive?  Perhaps a clunky example, but you catch my drift.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,894 battles
11 hours ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

Yes, I’m aware.  I am one of the people that spend a lot on the game.  I have a numerous premiums including the Sims, Belfast, Kutuzov, Indy, and several more.  I’ve bought premium since beta and I buy flags often.  So, I do not feel it is the least bit hypocritical of me to complain about what I think is going overboard with pricing.

WG isn’t the only one, it is the wave of the future in gaming. Make the game attractive, but make it so much more attractive to play with in game purchasing and methods or techniques to get you to buy more and more. As was pointed out, there is a slightly older demographic to this game. I think this is probably a good thing for WG since old retired farts like me are willing to open their wallets. Not that there aren't plenty of young gamers on here paying a lot, too. 

I just purchased a golf game for my iPad Pro. Sure enough if you want to hit the ball more than 200 yards, you’ll need to purchase the proper clubs. Of course those cost money, and if you want to earn some of them it takes forever.  Meanwhile you get the pants beat of you every time because the other guy already has the best clubs.  If you want to be competitive and not lose every game, well you’ve got to have the clubs. And of course there are some that you cannot own, but you can purchase them and of course they are the best clubs in the game.  You can compete with anyone but if you want to be a winner you need the longer clubs.  It’s psychology 101 and it is aggravating as hell. I so much more appreciate the programs that I buy one time and get to use until I lose interest or continue to use forever. 

One example is Rocket League. That Xbox game is a blast, cost me $20 and is still being updated with great success. You can buy stuff in the game to your hearts content, but it’s all cosmetic stuff. Your purchased car is no better than the unpurchased free car. If you want cool looks and stuff you are welcome to buy but it does not affect your game.  You don’t gain a physical advantage through money. And that is the problem in a nutshell.

I have absolutely no problem with gaming companies making huge money for profits. I would hope and expect that. But the new culture in gaming of nickel and diming people through more and more of these techniques is getting pretty obnoxious.   When the monetary unit affects your game negatively or positively, that’s where I have a problem. Should a noob want to purchase a Tirpitz and jump head first into tier 8 -  I think you know where I’m going with this… 

Another example is Witcher 3.  I paid $20 for the game, and $15 for the huge DLC and the game is FULL of wonderful things (thousands) you can attain, earn through skill and discover over and over.  It’s fantastic and it doesn’t want $$$ from me every day. It can be done. 

I just think it would be a whole lot smarter to not be charged at every turn like dismounting a part. Imagine if windows charged you each time you wanted to unmount a drive?  Perhaps a clunky example, but you catch my drift.

You make some valid points 

in fact id say were in the same boat

I suspect that thats how Wows makes money . Big money on the nickel and dime stuff

the nickel and dime stuff has kind of soured me on spending $, still enjoy the game a lot just dont spend money like I used to other than premium account and the ocasionally Premium ship