You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MutsuKaiNi

If you think the Nelson is ugly, you ain't seen nothing yet

42 comments in this topic

Members
333 posts
10,811 battles

Not sure what it is with the British but they had some truly hideous designs for ships

N3 design

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/431/file

M2 design 

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/429/file

U4 design

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/423/file

I'm trying to picture how these would play in game since they have such bizarre turret layouts.

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,141 battles

Good gracious.

Imagine the broadside you'd have to show in those ships to get all guns to bear?

[WOLFB]
Members
440 posts
9,792 battles

To be honest the only design i could see being any sort of viable is the U4.

The turret placements pretty much mirror the October Revolution if you think about it. So it could work.

Only thing is the firing angles on some of the turrets will be absolutely TERRIBLE. Considering even the Revolution has some wiggle room with its turret angles.

The other two though...no, please god no. 

Edited by Saidalphon

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles
6 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

Am I the only one that sees them still as pretty?

Maybe..

I dont think they are ugly, but for me personally, pretty would be a bit of a stretch.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

B

[-N-]
Members
2,288 posts
15,955 battles

Not sure I would call them ugly, not very functional maybe, especially the N3 and M2 designs looks like there took a freighter and added guns to it.  The U4 design, the turrets are like the Okt Rev we just got, and probably just as slow.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

Ah, the good old "Let's see how small we can make the armored part of the ship" doctrine.... 

Both hideous and impractical. Need to engage an enemy to the rear? Yeah good luck. Oh there's an enemy behind you? "Those are some nice boilers you have there, it would be a shame if something... Happened.... To them...." (British designs like that typically put some pretty wimpy armor over machinery spaces because propulsion is overrated, REMEMBER JUTLAND!) 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,720 posts
1 hour ago, TheYuriKaiser said:

Not sure what it is with the British but they had some truly hideous designs for ships

N3 design

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/431/file

M2 design 

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/429/file

U4 design

http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/423/file

I'm trying to picture how these would play in game since they have such bizarre turret layouts.

Impractical designs in some cases, yes.  But Nelson is still uglier.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,108 battles

"At the end comes the great day when the new battleship enters the fleet.  The commissioning ceremony is held, the crew bring the ship to life and commentators pass their judgment on the new class "a sad day for the Empire," "Anyone can see how useless she is," "What were they thinking of?" "One look at a picture in Jane’s and I can that tell the German Ships are far better."  "Why don't we fire these idiots and give the jobs to the shipyards?"  "If they can design 200 ton corvettes armed with 18 inch guns for the export market, why can't we have them?""

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,624 battles

U4's exposed conning tower between the turrets seems a rather odd choice.  The other two remind me of early container ship designs.

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

Nelson has a special charm with its gun-forward layout, the N, M and U designs are just unequivocally ugly and not even that practical from a design standpoint. 

Kind of how the 1920s South Dakota's were the least insane derivative of the Maximum Battleship designs, the Nelson was a combination of features from the least insane of the N and Ms.

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles
1 hour ago, gcangel82 said:

the N3 and M2 designs looks like there took a freighter and added guns to it

My thoughts exactly. The impression is that of the Edmund Fitzgerald with gun turrets.

• Cool 1

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Good gracious.

Imagine the broadside you'd have to show in those ships to get all guns to bear?

The ironic thing is that IRL, you WANTED to be broadside to the bad guys.  How a game about naval combat got that so wrong is beyond me.  But I digress...

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles
10 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

The ironic thing is that IRL, you WANTED to be broadside to the bad guys.  How a game about naval combat got that so wrong is beyond me.  But I digress...

The answer to that one is easy... Distances are compressed, and ranges/elevation artificially limited, but penetration curves aren't. 

Yamatos max range was something like 43km. In game, it's 26km (not counting spotter/mods). If you're shooting at someone 26km away, the penetration model is that of... 26km, and not 43km. This means immunity zones aren't a thing, and sailing broadside gets you paddled hard. It's also why German ships are such a pain to citadel... You're never far enough away to attack deck armor. 

Members
3,062 posts
25,648 battles

i love every ship that has been added to the game. i find these interesting and unique. they are special in their own way. you dont want a montana / yamato clone you get THIS HAHA

[-K--]
Members
1,151 posts
9,208 battles
11 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

The answer to that one is easy... Distances are compressed, and ranges/elevation artificially limited, but penetration curves aren't. 

Yamatos max range was something like 43km. In game, it's 26km (not counting spotter/mods). If you're shooting at someone 26km away, the penetration model is that of... 26km, and not 43km. This means immunity zones aren't a thing, and sailing broadside gets you paddled hard. It's also why German ships are such a pain to citadel... You're never far enough away to attack deck armor. 

I don't think that's the full answer either though.  For example, take the famous Washington/South Dakota/Kirishima battle...that was done at a range of less than 9,000 yards, or ~8km.  And yet, the respective courses sailed during the battle were nearly parallel.  Granted, there were landmasses to contend with, but there wasn't really any attempt at angling.  The priority was "get the most guns on target" over "expose the least of your ship".  

From http://www.navweaps.com/index_lundgren/bbActionGuadalcanal.php

bbActionGuadalcanal_track_0040-0114.jpg

Edited by RightYouAreKen

Members
1,228 posts
6,330 battles
11 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

That's most of the answer. Throw in the fact that hit rates in game are much higher than real life and you end up with Broadside = dead.

[-K--]
Members
1,151 posts
9,208 battles

BTW, some of the designs for the North Carolina class were pretty wacky, such as this one, design F...an attempt at a hybrid battleship/aircraft carrier.  Only rear mounted main guns?  

North_Carolina_class_scheme_F.jpg

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 1