You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Maps & Modes. Which do you love and which do you hate?

34 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles

I know this has been discussed before but like most topics it can be more than once. Now that I have made it to T10 I have been able to play all the maps (except Ocean - never on that as I recall) and I have had plenty of games in all the modes, I figured I would give my views and see what others think. 

Now for me by far my preferred game mode is domination. Just find it the most enjoyable. Standard is okay but unfortunately most players will not defend the base (I swear there is more running to the far edges in standard than domination???) and it falls to me far too often to make that heroic stand at the base to try and avoid a loss which has soured me on the mode. If there was more team play involved maybe I would like it more? Epicenter just flat out sucks. Don't care what map it is on = sucks! Wish it was removed from the game for good or at least that we were given the ability to opt out.

Now as to the maps themselves. There are a few I really like, some that are okay but nothing special or I am sick to death of seeing them so much and/or they are too similar to other maps, and some that are as god awful as a map as epicenter is as a game mode...

Really Like:

• Polar
  • Solomon Islands
  • Archipelago
  • Strait
  • Estuary 
  • Neighbors
  • Two Brothers
  • Hot Spot
  • Land Of Fire
  • Ice Islands
  • Atlantic

Like:

• Islands
  • Northern Lights
  • Trap
  • Sea Of Fortune
  • Loop

Do Not Like At All:

• Shatter - I HATE this one!!!! Frigging islands
  • Mountain Range

Do Not Like Because Overused Or Too Similar To Other Maps (otherwise meh/ok):

• Big Race
  • New Dawn
  • Fault Line
  • Trident
  • Shards

Don't Really Like Or Dislike:

• Ring
  • North
  • Tears Of The Desert
  • Okinawa
  • Warrior's Path
Edited by AdmiralThunder

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I like all the maps and all the modes.

My philosophy is play the map & mode given (as it is unknown at the start of the battle).

Do not have too many restrictions on maps according to tier played. Minimize any restrictions here.

All you get to choose is the ship you are playing. Take what map the queue gives you (you have no choice by then anyway).

So, 'man or woman up'. Grin & bear it. Play the battle (win or lose) and move on to the next one.

Never, ever, blame a map for being unsuitable for 'your' ship (you picked it) & the map is a random feature ( good or bad for you - however, this is a 'wash' over time).

So, OP, I cannot agree with any depictions, such as yours,  of 'likes' & 'dislikes' regarding any map.

I like the attitude of those who never complain about any map or mode.

I dislike the attitude of those who complain about any map or mode.

[SALVO]
Members
25,440 posts
27,395 battles

Regarding Modes.

My favorite mode is Standard.  I don't particularly like Domination mode because it puts a lot of pressure on DD's to play a certain way, which happens to be a way I don't like playing in DD's.  I don't enjoy having to play a counter DD style.  My attitude that a DD brawl is a no-win situation unless you get supremely luck and take out the enemy DD with a torpedo really quickly.  Otherwise, you just end up exchanging lots of gun fire with one DD getting sunk and the other one badly wounded and largely useless the rest of the battle.

In Standard mode, it's more free style.  You can play your DD however you see fit.  Do you occasionally get team mates who won't defend their base?  Yes.  But on the flip side, you also occasionally get teams that want to just camp and play defense.  Personally, I find both extremes to be stupid. IMO, even if you want to play somewhat defensively, it's better to push forward for a while so that you have some maneuvering room and room for some fighting withdrawals.  Otherwise, if you're camping your base, you have far less room to maneuver and nowhere to run.

Regarding Epicenter, there's not one bloody thing wrong with this mode.  The only reason that it's bad on the Tears map is because the location of the spawns in concert with the location of the "wall islands" on the N and S sides of the center make for terrible game play.  I've been suggesting repeatedly recently that the spawns in Epi mode should be rotated 90* on Tears and that that could have a major positive impact on how that map-mode combo plays.  However, the other two Epi maps, Big Race and Trident, are fine as is.

[SALVO]
Members
25,440 posts
27,395 battles
10 minutes ago, aethervox said:

My philosophy is play the map & mode given (as it is unknown at the start of the battle).

Do not have too many restrictions on maps according to tier played. Minimize any restrictions here.

All you get to choose is the ship you are playing. Take what map the queue gives you (you have no choice by then anyway).

So, 'man or woman up'. Grin & bear it. Play the battle (win or lose) and move on to the next one.

Never, ever, blame a map for being unsuitable for 'your' ship (you picked it) & the map is a random feature ( good or bad for you - however, this is a 'wash' over time).

So, OP, I cannot agree with any depictions, such as yours,  of 'likes' & 'dislikes' regarding any map.

While I can appreciate the sentiment, aether, I have to disagree with the extreme to which you take it.

There are maps that need tweaks, though often, the best tweaks seem to be ones where game play on a map can be improved with a change of location of spawns and/or caps.

You've already seen my example about Tears-Epi above.  Here's another example of a map that could be made better with a cap and spawn tweak. 

Strait.  I don't like the location of the spawns and caps on Strait-Dom or Strait-Std.  I think that Strait-Domination would be vastly better if they used the Ranked Battles layout.  I also think that Strait-Std would be better with the Ranked Battles spawns.  Currently, Strait is a crappy map because a decision be perhaps 2-3 ships deciding to change sides can pretty much doom your team to a loss, because those ships will be completely out of the action for around 2-3 minutes while they're travelling from one side to the other.  Strait desperately needs to have all of each teams' ships spawning together on the same side, so that this side flipping nonsense goes away.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

An aside: I like all the maps because they are all different. Granted, some may be similar to others.

I like some unique features on some of the maps

For instance, the big channel or strait in the south on Big Race - I like to refer to that as the Bend (short term) or the Big Bend as that is what it looks like to me.

& why is Estuary called 'that'? There barely is one there, imho (lol)

Ocean. You forgot Ocean.

Someone once said an open ocean is/was the place almost all age of coal/diesel naval warfare was actually fought on yet so many whine about that map. Go figure.

Wouldn't it be nice if WoWS had a 'naming' contest for various features/islands/waterways on the WoWS maps and printed them on the maps?

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

While I can appreciate the sentiment, aether, I have to disagree with the extreme to which you take it.

TY. I'm not the only poster on the Forum who has this sentiment you term 'extreme', btw. There is so much 'complaining' about maps it's ridiculous.

Members
2,855 posts
9,167 battles

Epicenter is the only one I dislike. Most guys don't realize you have to get in the rings. All the others are fine. I did like the fortresses.

[SALVO]
Members
25,440 posts
27,395 battles
23 minutes ago, aethervox said:

TY. I'm not the only poster on the Forum who has this sentiment you term 'extreme', btw. There is so much 'complaining' about maps it's ridiculous.

Aether, I have no problem with pointing out that excessive complaining about maps can be ridiculous.  My problem is more that you seem to take this stance to an extreme when you seem to imply that all maps are fine as is, which, IMO, is patently ridiculous on its face.

[SALVO]
Members
25,440 posts
27,395 battles
22 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Epicenter is the only one I dislike. Most guys don't realize you have to get in the rings. All the others are fine. I did like the fortresses.

Oh, come on.  Epicenter has been around long enough that I find it extremely hard to imagine that anyone other than a total newbie doesn't realize that you have to get ships into the rings.  People that stupid wouldn't realize that you need to take domination mode caps either, and yet most seem to understand that.

I just don't get the blind hatred of Epicenter mode.  I think that it's just as good as the other modes, with the one exception of Tears-Epicenter which is just a bad combination of map and mode, due more to the layout of the map's terrain around where the designers placed the Epicenter center ring, and relative to the location of the teams' spawns.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

you seem to imply that all maps are fine as is, which, IMO, is patently ridiculous on its face

Thing is, Crucis, no matter the map someone complains it isn't just right. So when is any map 'fine as is'?

Look what happened in WoT. If I was a map designer there, I'd either have quit or gotten on the Forums to scream at all the idiots who complain about the maps.

Since most complainers are idiots & you & I & anyone with any brains realizes this.

Or, Crucis, are the map developers that incompetent? It's one or the other.

I'd support the map developers myself. This is why I say play the map given (warts & all) & move on.

I really don't see any extreme view here (of mine).

I do, however, see plenty of players who are extremist on their views of maps (mainly due to selfish reasons like their favourite class of ship is not so useful on certain maps).

I never said all maps are fine. What I have been saying is play the map, move on & quit complaining (which is all that most complaining players are doing).

I don't like 'A' so 'waagh, waagh, waagh'. I want a different 'A', 'waagh, waagh, waagh'. Get rid of 'A', 'waafh, waagh, waagh'. Big babies all, imho.

Keep this up & WoWS maps will go the, imho, the horrid way of WoT maps.

Already, we barely see Ocean, a map where most sea battles were actually fought in RL (no islands at all!)

[RLGN]
Members
14,873 posts
26,412 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Epicenter just flat out sucks. Don't care what map it is on = sucks! Wish it was removed from the game for good or at least that we were given the ability to opt out.

Not sure I've ever really had an issue with this mode. Tears... Yeah, serious suckage; but I actually like seeing Epicenter on Trident; personally think that, and perhaps Big Race, are the two best Epicenter maps.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Really Like:

• Polar                             St Louis and Mikasa Love-Love map...
  • Solomon Islands           Same as above...
  • Archipelago
  • Strait                              Used to hate it; especially as a CV driver; not so much any more... Still shake my head at idiots trying to join up though...
  • Estuary 
  • Neighbors                      Ehhhhhh...
  • Two Brothers                 Can be fun, depending on ship...
  • Hot Spot
  • Land Of Fire
  • Ice Islands                      Um... Yeah... So open... So scary...
  • Atlantic                            Never really liked it, but can't say I hated it...

Like:

• Islands                             Another Mikasa Love-Love map...
  • Northern Lights
  • Trap                                 Another 'I'm ambivilant' map...
  • Sea Of Fortune
  • Loop

Do Not Like At All:

• Shatter - I HATE this one!!!! Frigging islands   Liked the old version better...
  • Mountain Range

Do Not Like Because Overused Or Too Similar To Other Maps (otherwise meh/ok):

• Big Race                        If nothing else; maps I've grown familiar with enough to have a few 'favorite spots...'
  • New Dawn
  • Fault Line
  • Trident
  • Shards

Don't Really Like Or Dislike:

• Ring
  • North
  • Tears Of The Desert     
  • Okinawa
  • Warrior's Path

I suppose most maps don't evoke any really salty reactions; except perhaps Shatter; but sometimes that can also depend on what ship I happen to be using at the time...

Atlanta on Ocean...   NEIN-NEIN-NEIN-etc...

Any destroyer on Straight; especially if I spawn in the north;  Mweh, heh, he... come to me my pretty little battleships... You other annoying, under-aged little ships can just stay away please...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
31 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I just don't get the blind hatred of Epicenter mode

ROFL. My pardon. You do realize what kind of intelligence we are dealing with here, don't you? I'm thinking 'they' don't like it because 'they' can't understand something different.

Just my speculation - you tell me. Tho I do think it has something about not liking something that they don't understand - you know, maybe due to a lack of critical thinking skills.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,579 posts
4,750 battles

Really hate the one where the islands split it down the middle dividing the map into two halves.  I also dislike Epicenter.  The rest, meh.

[SALVO]
Members
25,440 posts
27,395 battles
59 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Thing is, Crucis, no matter the map someone complains it isn't just right. So when is any map 'fine as is'?

Look what happened in WoT. If I was a map designer there, I'd either have quit or gotten on the Forums to scream at all the idiots who complain about the maps.

Since most complainers are idiots & you & I & anyone with any brains realizes this.

Or, Crucis, are the map developers that incompetent? It's one or the other.

I'd support the map developers myself. This is why I say play the map given (warts & all) & move on.

I really don't see any extreme view here (of mine).

I do, however, see plenty of players who are extremist on their views of maps (mainly due to selfish reasons like their favourite class of ship is not so useful on certain maps).

I never said all maps are fine. What I have been saying is play the map, move on & quit complaining (which is all that most complaining players are doing).

I don't like 'A' so 'waagh, waagh, waagh'. I want a different 'A', 'waagh, waagh, waagh'. Get rid of 'A', 'waafh, waagh, waagh'. Big babies all, imho.

Keep this up & WoWS maps will go the, imho, the horrid way of WoT maps.

Already, we barely see Ocean, a map where most sea battles were actually fought in RL (no islands at all!)

Actually, I think that Big Race and New Dawn are as close to perfect as any maps in this game. I do wish that the spawns on the Big Race map didn't extend quite so far to the north east (both sides), but overall that's a minor thing.

As for whether the map developers are incompetent or not, I have to split that into two parts.  There's the basic design of the maps and then there's the development of the maps (i.e. taking the basic concept from a sketch and turning it into a game map).  I think that they do a great job at the second half.  Even the maps that I don't particularly like look great visually, etc.  However, I think that I do have to question the ability of the map designers when it comes to coming up with basic map designs.  The very fact that all of the second wave high tier maps are roughly copies of one another is all the proof I need for that belief.

I agree with you on Ocean.  To me, it's more than just that it's the most realistic map.  It's also that it's a unique map in a group of maps that so desperately needs more variety and uniqueness, which is exactly why is should be put back into the rotation at a much higher level of use.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,579 posts
4,750 battles

At least the WoW maps aren't like the WoT ones.  The later are anywhere from 30 to 50% unplayable area and most of the maps funnel the action into one of about three predictable paths.  At least most of the WoW maps have sufficient room for maneuver and the unplayable terrain (eg., islands) are mostly in spots where you can use them as cover or otherwise incorporate them into the general play of the game.  The WoT maps mostly funnel everything into head to head gunfights at relatively close range.  That gets old fast.  They even did away with the few maps where a sniping game as a change might have been possible.

At least the WoW maps have some room for maneuver on them.

Members
30 posts
20,763 battles

Oh yes, The Epicenter SUCKS.

It is a poor attempt at a solution of players camping and sniping. However, it does not take into account that some ships are designed to be played that way. Or stealthy ships that give up that advantage when forced in close proximity to the enemy. Those types of ships are not meant to be played in close quarters. Makes DDs sacrifice them selves. Cruisers have to hide because sailing into open water in the circle invites instant death from a BB. And holy Davey Jones if the game is high tier enough for there to be 3 or 4 radars on a side...or worse, 4 radars on one side, and none on the other.

It definitely needs an opt-out function. Or, a "Reselect your ship after you know it's an Epicenter match" function. Oh yes, I can smell the salt that is coming! 

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
660 posts
10,786 battles

Top 10 Maps that I like (Organized by Tier):

Polar (Tiers I-III)                             Solomon Islands (Tiers II-V)

Big Race (Tiers II-V)                      Strait (Tiers IV-VI)                        

Fault Line (Tiers V-VII)                  Neighbors (Tiers VII-IX)                 

Trap (Tiers VIII-X)                          Tears of the Desert (Tiers VIII-X)

Sea of Fortune (Tiers IX-X)            Ice Islands (Tiers IX-X)

Top 10 Maps that I dislike (Organized by Tier):

Ring (Tiers IV-VI)                            North/Northern Lights (They're pretty much the same map) (Tiers VI-X)                      

Estuary (Tiers VII-IX)                      Two Brothers (Tiers VII-X)             

Shards (Tiers VII-IX)                       Hot Spot (Tiers VIII-X)

Land of Fire (Tiers VIII-X)               Shatter (Tiers IX-X)                        

Okinawa (Tiers IX-X)                       Mountain Range (Tiers IX-X)          

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles
22 hours ago, aethervox said:

This is not complaints about maps or modes. Not even the awful epicenter LOL. Just stating what I like and don't. It is different than complaints.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles
22 hours ago, aethervox said:

An aside: I like all the maps because they are all different. Granted, some may be similar to others.

I like some unique features on some of the maps

For instance, the big channel or strait in the south on Big Race - I like to refer to that as the Bend (short term) or the Big Bend as that is what it looks like to me.

& why is Estuary called 'that'? There barely is one there, imho (lol)

Ocean. You forgot Ocean.

Someone once said an open ocean is/was the place almost all age of coal/diesel naval warfare was actually fought on yet so many whine about that map. Go figure.

Wouldn't it be nice if WoWS had a 'naming' contest for various features/islands/waterways on the WoWS maps and printed them on the maps?

Didn't forget ocean. Said I hadn't played on it. That I can recall anyway. So no opinion good or bad.

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles
21 hours ago, aethervox said:

ROFL. My pardon. You do realize what kind of intelligence we are dealing with here, don't you? I'm thinking 'they' don't like it because 'they' can't understand something different.

Just my speculation - you tell me. Tho I do think it has something about not liking something that they don't understand - you know, maybe due to a lack of critical thinking skills.

I am not stupid and understand how to play the game and epicenter. Epicenter requires you to play many ships in ways they are not intended to be played. It forces aggressive play that can get you killed in a lot of ships. The mode is flat out terrible. With that said when it appears you strap a pair on, pull up your man pants, and play it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or think it is a good idea.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
12,551 posts
26,104 battles
21 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure I've ever really had an issue with this mode. Tears... Yeah, serious suckage; but I actually like seeing Epicenter on Trident; personally think that, and perhaps Big Race, are the two best Epicenter maps.

Reveal hidden contents

I suppose most maps don't evoke any really salty reactions; except perhaps Shatter; but sometimes that can also depend on what ship I happen to be using at the time...

Atlanta on Ocean...   NEIN-NEIN-NEIN-etc...

Any destroyer on Straight; especially if I spawn in the north;  Mweh, heh, he... come to me my pretty little battleships... You other annoying, under-aged little ships can just stay away please...

I always wind up on Shatter in a high tier hard to maneuver BB and that just bites. LOL.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, aethervox said:

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,954 battles

I have won on every map played in the game, and certainly lost on them as well, so I think it boils down to effectiveness during the match for myself and my team, regardless of which map I'm playing on. I try not to have a lot of negative baggage about a map at the beginning of a match, instead just trying to see what the reds are doing and how I need to counter that. Worrying about where that happens isn't a luxury I can always afford.