You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SemperVicious

Considering Building a Tactical Log

7 comments in this topic

[CNTC]
Members
8 posts
1,197 battles

I have been playing about a month -- maybe longer. I absolutely love the game and my XBox is not getting any attention. My focus has primarily been American Cruiser. Working on the grinding out the Des Moines. Like others, I have been spending some time researching different ways to use the various tiers of ships, strengths and weakness, how to best fight them and in truth -- I personally have a hard time keeping it straight -- truth be told, I basically fumble around hoping to get lucky. Don't get me wrong -- I am learning what not to do, but I have a long way to go. I just forget what ship does what well and not so well. I have a lot of irons in the fire and am just not going to memorize this stuff any time soon. So, I got to thinking and started looking for a support app I could use with my tablet or phone that would give me reminders and tips based on the ship I was fighting. Does anyone know if this app exists. Something I could reference as the battle is loading up and in progress?

If not -- is this something you believe would be helpful?  I am a veteran software developer and writing this web based app would be pretty easy. I am thinking it would allow you to establish a profile -- quickly Identify a ship you intend to fight. While the battle is loading you could check the opposing ships w/ship metrics for that battle and reference tips and strategies based on another persons profile you are following. Even watch a 30 second video while the battle is loading and starting to unfold.

Likewise -- as you are playing the game, the app would give you a run down of all the ships you could potentially be matched against in that battle. Provide insight if you have a fight off in the distance or if it is suicide -- like I said. Most of the time I have no idea once the battle is progressing if I should be aggressive or back off and wait for back-up.. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I am floating in a ball of fire. But sometimes I just don't know what I did wrong or right.  I can't help but think this tool would be helpful to others in learning/referencing tactics on the fly or referencing how other accomplished players think in similar situations. Maybe even work what map you are in to provide additional strategy help. Obviously, this app would allow you to make your own input that you could share so others could fight like you -- perhaps even score it.

Building the app is the easy part. Obviously, for this to be useful -- it would require input from people who have more time on there hands than I do as far as game play is concerned and are far better than I am.  This is my attempt to do market research. See if there might be any interest in a support app like this you reference along side game play.  Any feedback or suggestion is welcome and if this already exists -- please, by all means provide a link.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

SemperVicious

• Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,767 posts
46,003 battles

Great post!  I wish I had your outlook when I started.

First really like all that you said but I can tell you that all that knowledge will come to you in time, "You don't need an App for that" (I should trade mark that).  On the other hand it might help you in remembering and eventual you will know all the info you need with out it, it just takes time.

I would suggest you join a clan as soon as you can.  Team mates are the best trainers.

Good Luck!   :Smile_honoring:

[CNTC]
Members
8 posts
1,197 battles

@Turbotush: Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps you are right. I know for me -- this is how I learn best. Applying practical exercise to principles. For me - I think it would take me much farther faster -- but that's just how I tick. It would be awesome if I could get to a point where I did not need it! Then I could make others float in fire balls :-)

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
23,944 battles

I like the idea, brother, for what that is worth. The technical aspects I am sure you can handle. The trick, in my opinion, would be the advice. Many Youtubers offer "how-to" videos for many ships in this game. But they do not always agree about the best way to utilize them. Deciding which bits of advice to offer from among the many available might take a lot of time. But if you can make this idea work, my hat is off to you. Anything that could help players get a better handle on how to play might increase the overall quality of play and help to mitigate attrition due to frustration and feeling overwhelmed by the surprising complexity of this game.

Respects,

Am

[CNTC]
Members
8 posts
1,197 battles
1 hour ago, Amracil said:

But they do not always agree about the best way to utilize them.

You are so right here but I think at the end of the day it boils down to a users preference in the style of fight they are most comfortable with. My biggest complaint with the videos is they never really show how they pick a fight. It is usually a video of a fight in progress. Many times I would just like to know how they got in the position they are in and why they put themselves there. What did they see that I can't yet see before the shooting started. I think this is probably the biggest determining factor in determining the outcome. I don't know -- is a battle over before it begins? Is the battle itself just a formality and its all about positioning yourself? I imagine some of that is true. Anyway -- you are right. It is about the data. That is what would make or break this idea. Thanks for your input.

Semper

Edited by SemperVicious

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles

My biggest complaint with the videos is they never really show how they pick a fight. It is usually a video of a fight in progress. Many times I would just like to know how they got in the position they are in and why they put themselves there. What did they see that I can't yet see before the shooting started.

Unless you have a slightly reduced in-game time to sit and watch those videos (if any with relevant commentaries), you'd quickly run out of time to actually grind the Tech Tree. 

I believe the videos you mention are done in such a way for a reason. The YouTubers will highlight only the relevant captures of the whole reel. Thereby making their video short, to the point (of the YouTuber's needs). 

There are very few in game commentary that hints at the idea of what you're proposing, but they don't come close.

Now, if there are players who actually vocally inform the views of his/her actions, while the in the battle. That would be helpful.  Twitch videos are a good place for real time viewings. But as with all Youtuber's out to make a living, they need their own content. 

Basically, we need a dedicated player/streamer/video editor/objective thinker  who is solely doing what you suggested in your original post. I highly doubt that we will see such players, creating their own platforms to hold their content and expect a following. It's very niche. 

However, if the current YouTubers added such videos to their large content. Why not. I'll take a look at 'em.

Members
548 posts
2,157 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 8:29 PM, SemperVicious said:

I have been playing about a month -- maybe longer. I absolutely love the game and my XBox is not getting any attention. My focus has primarily been American Cruiser. Working on the grinding out the Des Moines. Like others, I have been spending some time researching different ways to use the various tiers of ships, strengths and weakness, how to best fight them and in truth -- I personally have a hard time keeping it straight -- truth be told, I basically fumble around hoping to get lucky. Don't get me wrong -- I am learning what not to do, but I have a long way to go. I just forget what ship does what well and not so well. I have a lot of irons in the fire and am just not going to memorize this stuff any time soon. So, I got to thinking and started looking for a support app I could use with my tablet or phone that would give me reminders and tips based on the ship I was fighting. Does anyone know if this app exists. Something I could reference as the battle is loading up and in progress?

If not -- is this something you believe would be helpful?  I am a veteran software developer and writing this web based app would be pretty easy. I am thinking it would allow you to establish a profile -- quickly Identify a ship you intend to fight. While the battle is loading you could check the opposing ships w/ship metrics for that battle and reference tips and strategies based on another persons profile you are following. Even watch a 30 second video while the battle is loading and starting to unfold.

Likewise -- as you are playing the game, the app would give you a run down of all the ships you could potentially be matched against in that battle. Provide insight if you have a fight off in the distance or if it is suicide -- like I said. Most of the time I have no idea once the battle is progressing if I should be aggressive or back off and wait for back-up.. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I am floating in a ball of fire. But sometimes I just don't know what I did wrong or right.  I can't help but think this tool would be helpful to others in learning/referencing tactics on the fly or referencing how other accomplished players think in similar situations. Maybe even work what map you are in to provide additional strategy help. Obviously, this app would allow you to make your own input that you could share so others could fight like you -- perhaps even score it.

Building the app is the easy part. Obviously, for this to be useful -- it would require input from people who have more time on there hands than I do as far as game play is concerned and are far better than I am.  This is my attempt to do market research. See if there might be any interest in a support app like this you reference along side game play.  Any feedback or suggestion is welcome and if this already exists -- please, by all means provide a link.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

SemperVicious

Mr. Vicious, A software developer here name od Aslain has some great mods that help with a description of vessels capabilities. Might be what you desire. I like it because you can enlarge the minimap to help us persons with poor eyesight. but It has many features. You may find it useful you also get access to a training room. It is a legal mod for game. 

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-06121-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/