You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tankdestroyer1212121212

DD Being Spotted way out of Spotting Range

42 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
1,569 battles

So I am in my Farragut, which has poor concealment and a bad torpedo range. However, the detection range is 7.6km, I am hiding in smoke, and then I was spotted by a Hydroacoustic search, I know because of the icon. I was spotted by an enemy Atlanta at 9km away,I know because he fired, was spotted, and turned out to be the Cruiser on that side of the map. Why was I spotted so far away, even in smoke? Also, another DD died at again 9km range.

Edited by tankdestroyer1212121212

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Atlanta has radar, which he used.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

Hydro and Radar show the same detected icon to the target ship.

Beta Testers
1,817 posts
6,670 battles

The Atlanta has Radar. That is what most likely spotted you.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,659 battles
1 minute ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Radar. Learn. Adapt. Get chainsawed by that ATL. Cry in your wheaties. Overcome.

Made it mo betta!

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
Members
1,696 posts
7,668 battles
9 minutes ago, MzFortune58 said:

did you leave your parking lights on?

No miki San, he thought the smokescreen was a fog and turned his fog lights on by mistake. Lol.

[D-PN]
Members
1,696 posts
7,668 battles
28 minutes ago, MzFortune58 said:

Yes, much more appropriate. um what fog lights heard of fog horn Ka

Fog lights are very bright searchlights used during a fog.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles
1 hour ago, tankdestroyer1212121212 said:

So I am in my Farragut, which has poor concealment and a bad torpedo range. However, the detection range is 7.6km, I am hiding in smoke, and then I was spotted by a Hydroacoustic search, I know because of the icon. I was spotted by an enemy Atlanta at 9km away,I know because he fired, was spotted, and turned out to be the Cruiser on that side of the map. Why was I spotted so far away, even in smoke? Also, another DD died at again 9km range.

It could be a bunch of things, my Okhotnik has a detection range of 5.6 with Captain skill, without a replay all are guesses the spotting mechanics are complicated add Hydro and Radar and with the new smoke changes and its ....

[D-PN]
Members
1,696 posts
7,668 battles
11 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

It could be a bunch of things, my Okhotnik has a detection range of 5.6 with Captain skill, without a replay all are guesses the spotting mechanics are complicated add Hydro and Radar and with the new smoke changes and its .... Byzantine, thank you.

[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
12 hours ago, Lert said:

Really wish there were different icons as the HOW you were detected might make a huge difference of what you do about it. If the only radar ship is near max radar range, a quick scoot may take you back into concealment and you know which way to go. You also know the ship has burned it radar.

If you are detected by hydro, you know there is somebody relatively close doing it that, if you can't see them, you have to guess which way to run or attack.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I keep having something similar happen to me as well. All enemy ships on map are spotted (no lurking DDs, etc.), nearest enemy ship is 9k out, my concealment is 5.7k (Benson), none of the remaining enemy ships have radar - yet I suddenly get spotted (with no icon indicating radar/hydro - but again no enemy ship had radar). This is actually happening quite often.

And before you ask, no I didn't fire my deck guns.

Don't know if this is a broken LOS feature or broken hydro working out way too far or someone hacking (oh, wait - they call them "mods" now) - but it is really getting annoying. I should go back and grab the replay of the match and send it in (like that does anything).

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,677 battles
10 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I keep having something similar happen to me as well. All enemy ships on map are spotted (no lurking DDs, etc.), nearest enemy ship is 9k out, my concealment is 5.7k (Benson), none of the remaining enemy ships have radar - yet I suddenly get spotted (with no icon indicating radar/hydro - but again no enemy ship had radar). This is actually happening quite often.

99.9% of the time this is a closer ship that is still concealed.  Are you sure all of the reds were accounted for?  It is easy to lose track, even for veteran players.  A replay would give definitive proof and give the devs somewhere to actually start looking if there is a problem.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

99.9% of the time this is a closer ship that is still concealed.  Are you sure all of the reds were accounted for?  It is easy to lose track, even for veteran players.  A replay would give definitive proof and give the devs somewhere to actually start looking if there is a problem.

When there's only 4 enemy ships left alive, and all are marked on map - kind of hard to lose track of them. As I said, ALL enemy ships were accounted for.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles
2 hours ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

someone hacking (oh, wait - they call them "mods" now)

In a client-server setup like this game where the server, not the game client, decides what ships are spotted and what ships remain concealed, please explain what mechanic a hack or mod could cause a concealed ship to be spotted.

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,125 posts
4,431 battles

It can also be a sneaky dd. In my Z-52 I will chase Khabs from outside my detect range but close enough to spot him. I don't shoot every, just light for teammates. It confuses the heck out of them since they know they are out of spotting range of the bb's and cruisers they say. The khab usually does not consider that another dd could be running him down and restraining their fire. 

Members
842 posts
8,155 battles

Also, remember WG has a "minimum automatic detection distance" feature.

That is, no matter what would normally block LOS: islands, smoke, etc., once you get within a certain distance, you get spotted.

There is a ship module that raises this from the default 2km (for all ships) to 3km (Target Acquisition Mod 1), available on T8+ ships.

And, of course, there's always the "magic invisible spotter plane", where someone running a spotter plane can see you without you being able to see the spotter plane. This is particularly prevelant around islands, but exists even in the open ocean, where you get spotted by the plane 10-15 seconds before you can see it.  As spotter planes circle 5-6km around their ship, and most ships have a 3+ detection radius for planes, it's easily possible to be spotted by one of these float planes at 9km or more away from the owning ship, and not know it right away.   The detection icon should indicate that it was a plane spotting you, however.

Edited by EAnybody

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I give up. Until it happens to you, there are simply people that refuse to believe anything that doesn't fit their experience. I am not new to the game, i know how it works, and I know how to count how many ships are spotted and compare that to how many are left. I also know which ships have radar, and know that I was clearly out of hydro range (and assured detected range), and there were no planes in the air. I (and others) have been complaining about this for a few patches now, that on occasion we get spotted when there is no way for the enemy to be doing so. Most likely it is a bug in their spotting mechanic, but I can't rule out mods/hacks either. [Just like all those folks that posted that there is no mod that allows you to avoid enemy fire because all calculations are done server side, then someone posted a video of one such mod showing that although the calculations are done server side, it is reported to your computer immediately upon enemy ship firing, which allows one such mod to mark on your screen where the enemy rounds and torps will land allowing you to swerve out of the way while they are still traveling towards you.] As for how a spotting mod/hack would work - i haven't the foggiest idea - if I did, i'd be making more money working on game design.

As I've said it is far more likely a bug in the spotting mechanic (and WG has already said they'll be scrapping and rewriting the entire spotting mechanic sometime late 2018), but i'm not the only one complaining of this. I will keep track of when it happens again and will send the replay into WG on each occurrence (but it has been my experience that doing so doesn't even get a reply).

Members
692 posts
21,374 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 10:44 PM, Lert said:

They do? Not in the games I have played. Hydro is a funky blob and Radar is a ! with some hashes next to it.