You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Commander_LuXun

Camp fest has spread to mid-tiers.

35 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Hey guys, I've been back after quite a long break, and I got the new Italian premium BB. She's a decent ship so far, but I'm not getting good games in her due to my teams losing because they just camp and refuse to push. I've played a ton of matches in her already, 15 to be exact, and it's either a steamroll (my team or the enemy) or a camp fest. The camping has infested the mid-tiers too. Is this a new thing? What's causing it? 

• Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

I simply fail to understand the fun in what more and more players, even mid-tier, seem to be doing. They play this game like cowardly chess or poker players while this game is meant to be played more like RISK, especially at the mid-tiers and low-tiers. If these people want to play a combat-oriented MMO and NOT expect to take much damage or go down in glory, then perhaps they could go for something like Candy Crush Saga or something like that.

• Cool 2

[SHOOP]
Members
623 posts
13,233 battles
2 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I simply fail to understand the fun in what more and more players, even mid-tier, seem to be doing. They play this game like cowardly chess or poker players while this game is meant to be played more like RISK, especially at the mid-tiers and low-tiers. If these people want to play a combat-oriented MMO and NOT expect to take much damage or go down in glory, then perhaps they could go for something like Candy Crush Saga or something like that.

Yeah man, I feel the same way.  It use to be you could play low to mid tiers to get a break from the camping meta and also to get into brawls and slugfests.  Now its everywhere!!!  You have to chase em down to feel like you are doing anything at all.  Sucks really.

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Solomon Islands. One of those rare Tier 4-5 matches. Both teams hiding from each other for the entire match. 3 of our BBs flinched and were sunk. I had to fight almost 1/2 the enemy team with only minimal support from the Fujin on my team that was sunk by the enemy Isokaze. I did 108k damage for nothing.

I took a long break from the game, expecting better things, but now I'm already becoming fed up again. The mid-tiers have also become cancerous to play.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
6 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I simply fail to understand the fun in what more and more players, even mid-tier, seem to be doing. They play this game like cowardly chess or poker players while this game is meant to be played more like RISK.....

You mean find a comfortable spot, turtle up, only attack enough to get your card each turn, and attack in earnest after amassing overwhelming force?

• Cool 2

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,654 posts
10,699 battles

The camp has been around since the start, but so have solo charge suicides.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Im not seeing anything different in middle tiers. In fact i would like some players to be less agressive (less yolo). Its always boring when half the team dies in five minutes. 

• Cool 1

[AN2AC]
[AN2AC]
Members
153 posts

Its no better in the high tiers.  Typically one team will get all the caps while the other team will go in circles somewhere in a corner with half the team still alive.

Members
2,766 posts

Sometimes, it's advantageous to play defensively, letting the enemy run into the open field where you can put him down from a cloaked nest. It may not be the way YOU want to play, but it's a playstyle that capitalizes on the "PUSH"-mentality players. I've had more than a few games where team mates say you can't win by hiding, but here's an example of putting down the pushers:

• Cool 1

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles
20 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Sometimes, it's advantageous to play defensively, letting the enemy run into the open field where you can put him down from a cloaked nest. It may not be the way YOU want to play, but it's a playstyle that capitalizes on the "PUSH"-mentality players. I've had more than a few games where team mates say you can't win by hiding, but here's an example of putting down the pushers:

I love it when a plan comes together.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,152 posts
30,906 battles

It depends on what's going on.  Today I had a DD crying that I would not go into a cap with a red DD prowling in there (we knew, because he was launching torps at us).  I was using a BB, and he wanted me to go into the cap against an unspotted DD.  Nevermind his friends behind the cap...

gKqNY.gif

I'm all for a push, I'm a firm advocate of it, but I don't like foolish, blind pushes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles

Don't worry this will be seeing a decrease once pan asian dd with deep water torps get in game. The torps have a very low detect range and those torps also can not be spotted by ships they can not hit like other dd. Have one of these in a game and camping BB/CA will be crapping their pants. Those BB/CA will want to be near their own DD in the hopes the enemy pan asian DD will be spotted before it unleashes pure horror on them. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,152 posts
30,906 battles
6 minutes ago, Shadow_NA said:

Don't worry this will be seeing a decrease once pan asian dd with deep water torps get in game. The torps have a very low detect range and those torps also can not be spotted by ships they can not hit like other dd. Have one of these in a game and camping BB/CA will be crapping their pants. Those BB/CA will want to be near their own DD in the hopes the enemy pan asian DD will be spotted before it unleashes pure horror on them. 

The DWT's lost their low detection range aspect.  They are now simply worse torpedoes.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The DWT's lost their low detection range aspect.

Found it in dev blog, ty. But the change is just from 0.7 to 1.1 not much. 

Edited by Shadow_NA

[NKOTD]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
1,972 posts
19,588 battles

In T5, I have been doing OK capping with Giulio Cesare when DDs refuse to go in. I get a kill or two then get focused down sometimes, but sometimes the rest of the team surges and carries the day. 

Learning to gun down DDs with BB rifles is a key skill though. It will make your worst days more enjoyable!

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
10 hours ago, Shadow_NA said:

Or maybe they'll sit further back, in hopes that the PA DDs won't take themselves out of the fight to go after them.

Members
49 posts
75 battles
12 hours ago, Greenday4537 said:

I've seen it happen recently in T4/T5 matches. It's ridiculous.

You want it fixed? Then fix Battleships and make nerf their range and damage. Why push when you can sit in the very back safe from everything save other BB's and snipe all day.  It is battleships and battleships alone (with a few Cruisers) that have such ludicrous range that they play it safe and snipe. Then they bunch up together knowing full well any DD that comes along will be destroyed when 5+ ships all shoot at it and that poor DD can't get close enough to torp.

Carriers no problem we will bunch together and let our AA shred your planes...  Yup people using game mechanics to play it safe didn't see that one coming as most gamers are cowards both in game and out.

Members
49 posts
75 battles
12 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

You didn't just use a Tier 1 ship did you?  All Tier 1 ships are similar in power and mechanics try that at Tier 10 and with different ships it will not turn out the way you envisioned it should.

Members
2,766 posts
Just now, Dr_Pickles said:

You didn't just use a Tier 1 ship did you?  All Tier 1 ships are similar in power and mechanics try that at Tier 10 and with different ships it will not turn out the way you envisioned it should.

Yes, it's World of Simple Warships. ;)

I do realize that it doesn't work the same way uptiers. I do still hug islands when possible in my North Carolina, though. :)

Members
143 posts
3,962 battles
13 hours ago, Zionas said:

Solomon Islands. One of those rare Tier 4-5 matches. Both teams hiding from each other for the entire match. 3 of our BBs flinched and were sunk. I had to fight almost 1/2 the enemy team with only minimal support from the Fujin on my team that was sunk by the enemy Isokaze. I did 108k damage for nothing.

I took a long break from the game, expecting better things, but now I'm already becoming fed up again. The mid-tiers have also become cancerous to play.

I feel your pain sir, it's always been this way, but got much much worse since 0.6.3. Matter of fact the last 6 months of changes (including the change in smoke) has further forced this passive play. WG has said, they want aggression and to get away from HE spamming BB's, But the changes tell a different story, 0.6.3 removed stealth firing and put a 20 second detect timer on all ships. Except CV's of course, due to no main guns. I could have dealt with the removal of Stealth firing, but that 20 second timer is suicide, in anything but a BB. That forced many aggressive cruiser and DD players, to play more passively. Nobody pushes or spots anymore, so nothing is spotted till too late. This is my experience, your experience may vary. Also many of the cruiser and DD players, moved up to BB's and never stopped the HE spamming. They also still play like cruisers and hang the 1 or 10 lines, playing sniper. The British Bb's did not help, since with the much higher fire chance (37%- 45% chance the whole line), only endorses the habit of HE spamming.

Now the smoke mechanic change, does not effect my game play, but it does effect my games. I never sat in smoke, since they are torp magnets. I been a BB main since 0.6.3 (not the HE spamming ones either) and a fairly aggressive player, but the change in the smoke mechanic, caused the entire game to go ranked level play. What i mean by that, is everyone hides behind islands, even BB's. So someone like me just goes to another game, since my play style is not welcomed here anymore. Now they will remove the worst ships (in a good way) in the game, the three radar/smoker cruisers, forcing more players to go BB (and probably HE spammers as well), since they don't have any good options anymore

I don't say this to bash WG, I just hope to show them, there is more than passive play and they are killing aggression, no matter what they say. The only way to fix it, as far as i can see, is to revert back to pre 0.6.3. But we all know, WG refuses to admit they are wrong

Edited by crazyjr

Members
2,766 posts
4 minutes ago, crazyjr said:

So someone like me just goes to another game, since my play style is not welcomed here anymore.

I would like to ask you not to go to another game, but return to the place you learned to love the game: Tier 1.

No silly buffs, nerfs, imbalances, dodgy mechanics, etc; the pure gunboat experience where you can push if you want or defend if you want... where team mates play a far more limited role and your skill is a far greater factor than MM's actions.

Really, give the 'other' Warships game a chance!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,720 posts

They need to change the reward system away from a damage focused model and towards a win-focused model, with special bonuses (bigger than today) for:

- Capping

- Spotting

- Tanking

- Kills (will encourage kill sniping, but if the overall rewards are bigger, that's ok.)

Maybe even a winner take "all" system where the winning side gets half of the losing side's rewards.  Enough so that even sub 50% players can still progress, slowly, but winners will advance much more quickly.

Damage in isolation shouldn't yield rewards, because damage in isolation doesn't contribute to a win.

• Cool 1

Members
143 posts
3,962 battles
49 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I would like to ask you not to go to another game, but return to the place you learned to love the game: Tier 1.

No silly buffs, nerfs, imbalances, dodgy mechanics, etc; the pure gunboat experience where you can push if you want or defend if you want... where team mates play a far more limited role and your skill is a far greater factor than MM's actions.

Really, give the 'other' Warships game a chance!

doesn't matter, tier 1's are non existent, try to get a battle anymore. Whales just coin to tier 10, then  wonder why they aren't dominating. I honestly knew i was losing interest in this game, when i could not get excited at a free ship (through grinding), but the current player base, drained my desire to continue. And WG, through their actions not their words, are condoning it