Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Seadog_Supreme

HMS Exeter

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,866 posts

I would like to see this ship in the game. Exeter fought the Graf Spee and two surface battles with the Japanese Navy. Can any other WW2 ships claim to have fought in three surface battles? I would guess not many. Although lightly armored, and under-gunned, this ship should fit in well at Tier 5, equivalent to the Japanese CA Furataka.

Exeter.jpg

Edited by Seadog_Supreme
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173
[COB45]
Members
1,011 posts
3,472 battles

would not mine seeing this or any RN CA in the game and on the not of surface vessels participating in three battles most of the US pacific fleet may have done so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,565
[NKOTD]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
1,972 posts
19,588 battles

I would put it at Tier 6, alongside Graf Spee and Leander (Ajax', Achilles' class leader). It is basically a British Pensacola with only 6 guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
635 posts
7,023 battles

I feel as though if they do add her, since you already have the Emerald at Tier 5 for the Royal Navy, this may be a premium. I would even doubt it being possible higher than tier 5 if it does get implemented. I say this because the Furutaka is the only cruiser at tier 5 that has the 203mm guns, and I don't feel as though WG would put any more in sadly.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
650 posts
1,842 battles

I would support this. Exeter as a new British premium cruiser to "replace" Belfast, and York as the tech tree counterpart in a CA/CL line split. 

 

I think T6 is appropriate as the armament is comparable to Aoba and you can balance against ships that outgun her with smoke, repair, and "soft" stats. And there is aesthetic value in having her, Graf Spee, and the Leander class all at the same tier.

 

In a line split, you could make T6 the split point after Emerald, or split at T5 with Hawkins as the start of the CA line. 

Edited by Middcore
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,265
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,726 posts
26,569 battles

I would love to see Exeter in game. It has heavy ties with the Dutch navy of the war; Exeter fought alongside the Dutch forces during the ill-fated battles of Java Sea and was escorted by the Dutch Admiralen class destroyer HNLMS Witte de With when Exeter got crippled.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts
10 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I would support this. Exeter as a new British premium cruiser to "replace" Belfast, and York as the tech tree counterpart in a CA/CL line split. 

 

I think T6 is appropriate as the armament is comparable to Aoba and you can balance against ships that outgun her with smoke and "soft" stats. And there is aesthetic value in having her, Graf Spee, and the Leander class all at the same tier.

 

In a line split, you could make T6 the split point after Emerald, or split at T5 with Hawkins as the start of the CA line. 

True, the same 6 guns as Aoba, but the Japanese CA gets better torps. Also not good armor on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,265
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,726 posts
26,569 battles

They can balance Exeter at tier 5, 6 or 7, depending on ROF, range, accuracy, shell soft stats, concealment, AA, etc. Personally I would put her at tier 5 or 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

We'll see the RN heavies at some point, the line will split, and it probably won't be a full one. The Exeter (or one of the class) will fit into T6 pretty well, or they could mess around and fit her in where ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
4,780 battles

I would like to see British CAs just in general. A separate line for the heavy cruisers next to the existing light cruisers.  Exeter would be welcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
650 posts
1,842 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

They can balance Exeter at tier 5, 6 or 7, depending on ROF, range, accuracy, shell soft stats, concealment, AA, etc. Personally I would put her at tier 5 or 6.

 

I think T7 would be really tough with only 6 guns.

 

County at T7, then assorted Churchill paper designs for tiers 8-10 I guess. (22,000 tons and 12x9.2" at T10, anyone? No more absurd than Stalingrad as a T10 "cruiser" if you ask me.)

Edited by Middcore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,265
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,726 posts
26,569 battles
2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I think T7 would be really tough with only 6 guns.

26 km range, 4 second reload, improved HE pen, fire chance, AP autoricochet angles and short fuse, 2.6 sigma ...

Yes, I know they're ludicrous and unrealistic numbers, my point is that WG could balance it at T7 if they wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,168
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,905 battles
26 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

I would put it at Tier 6, alongside Graf Spee and Leander (Ajax', Achilles' class leader). It is basically a British Pensacola with only 6 guns. 

I think T5 or T6 depending on how crazy you want the consumables and ROF (going 4 to 5.5 RPM is the big difference from Furutaka-Aoba).

She's more a British Furutaka than anything else.

25 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

I feel as though if they do add her, since you already have the Emerald at Tier 5 for the Royal Navy, this may be a premium. I would even doubt it being possible higher than tier 5 if it does get implemented. I say this because the Furutaka is the only cruiser at tier 5 that has the 203mm guns, and I don't feel as though WG would put any more in sadly.

I pretty much agree on T5. Maybe T6 if given RN cruiser consumables and a better than reasonable ROF.

16 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I would support this. Exeter as a new British premium cruiser to "replace" Belfast, and York as the tech tree counterpart in a CA/CL line split. 

 

The credit/XP earnings of a T5 are poor compared to a T7, even with the T5 premium camouflage being improved.

She wouldn't be a pound-for-pound replacement, but she would be very nice to add.

39 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

Can any other WW2 ships claim to have fought in three surface battles? I would guess not many.

Off hand, Warspite was at 2nd Narvik, Calabria, Matapan plus Jutland in WWI. Ajax had River Plate, Passero, Otranto and Matapan. Aurora hit four escorted convoys, was at Sirte and sank three Vichy French destroyers off Oran (her crest is my display pic). It's a pretty small field overall.

For Japan some of the destroyers such as the Shigure were repeatedly and successfully engaged, Myoko would be the direct counterpart and victor over Exeter in both her fights and some later ones, plus there are other IJN CA with similar records.

For the Germans Scharnhorst had an action of Loftofen, sank HMS Rawalpindi, sank HMS Glorious, an action with British destroyers in the Channel Dash and her final sinking. Busy ship. Hipper had 3 at least as well, Glowworm, Berwick's Christmas Fiasco and Barents Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,667 posts
1 hour ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I would like to see this ship in the game. Exeter fought the Graf Spee and two surface battles with the Japanese Navy. Can any other WW2 ships claim to have fought in three surface battles? I would guess not many. Although lightly armored, and under-gunned, this ship should fit in well at Tier 5, equivalent to the Japanese CA Furataka.

I would love to see this one.  Another ship with 3 battles that popped up in my head was the original USS Helena CL-50.  St. Louis Class, basically an improved Brooklyn class.

 

Damaged at Pearl Harbor, was there for Cape Esperance, including the initial radar contact, was there for the free-for-all at the First Battle of Guadalcanal, and then sunk at Kula Gulf.  I'd love to see Helena as a premium, especially since we don't have a Brooklyn or St. Louis class CL in-game at this time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles
15 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

I would put it at Tier 6, alongside Graf Spee and Leander (Ajax', Achilles' class leader). It is basically a British Pensacola with only 6 guns. 

Why?  3 T6's couldn't handle that single T6.  That makes no sense.  Frankly, Exeter would be far better served at T5.  People mostly like furutaka these days, while Aoba struggles.  Adding a ship to a tier where it will struggle, is silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,565
[NKOTD]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
1,972 posts
19,588 battles
41 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Why?  3 T6's couldn't handle that single T6.  That makes no sense.  Frankly, Exeter would be far better served at T5.  People mostly like furutaka these days, while Aoba struggles.  Adding a ship to a tier where it will struggle, is silly.

3 T6 cruisers sometimes can't handle a T5 in this game. Which is a game, BTW. Aoba struggles a bit, but does its job at Tier 6. The Exeter will do as well. In a gunfight between Exeter and Emerald Emerald goes to God bottom every time, I reckon. Lay aside that Emerald sucks. 

 

Edited by LancerUlysses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,168
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,905 battles
2 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Why?  3 T6's couldn't handle that single T6.

Well they messed up, you see Ajax and Achilles should have smoked up and gone stationary while Exeter should have held fire and used her better concealment to spot the Spee....      /ironic

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
474 posts
3,719 battles
5 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

3 T6's couldn't handle that single T6.  That makes no sense.  Frankly, Exeter would be far better served at T5. 

History seems to record that the Brits were the victors in that battle, and handled Graf Spee effectively (not that reality or history has any bearing in game, of course).

All that aside, Exeter is rather small and undergunned for a 'heavy' cruiser.  If WG gives the Brit CAs a heal like the CLs, that could make up a large firepower deficit from a gameplay standpoint.

However, using the existing 10k-ton treaty cruisers for the nations that actually followed the treaty as a guideline* (Algerie, Pensacola, Indy, and NO), we see most of them sitting at T7.  If WG end up dropping NO to T7 during the rumored USN CL/CA split, that will further argue that 'compliant' treaty cruisers sit at T7.  This would likely be a late model County class for the Brit CAs.  York could then be at either 5 or 6, and if it is at 5, County herself could be at T6.  If they put Hawkins at T5, then the RN will have two terrible T5 cruisers; she will be an Emerald with 7 7.5" guns.  Bleh.

I expect Exeter, Norfolk, and Suffolk to be premiums, based on their histories.  Perhaps HMAS Canberra, as well.

*IJN, KM, and RM CAs that were designed under the treaty largely exceeded treaty limitations on size/weight: we see these at T8, so that's where we can expect Zara to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I see zero reason to shove Exeter into T6.  Let's simply put it that way.  It doesn't have the armor, or the firepower to justify T6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,728
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles
11 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

3 T6 cruisers sometimes can't handle a T5 in this game. Which is a game, BTW. Aoba struggles a bit, but does its job at Tier 6. The Exeter will do as well. In a gunfight between Exeter and Emerald Emerald goes to God bottom every time, I reckon. Lay aside that Emerald sucks. 

 

I don't feel like I struggled with Emerald at all ;)

emmy.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×