Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

What do you think of the Lion?

15 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I was comparing ship stats in the pre-game player's list when I noticed this. My tier VIII North Carolina appears to have about the same stats as the tier IX Lion. Is the Lion significantly better than the North Carolina or are they similar in terms of capabilities and performance? 

NCLion.jpg

[YK]
Members
2,238 posts
11,324 battles

Those stats have little meaning to a ships capabilities, NC and Lion are not really even comparable.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

NC (++) vs Lion (+++)

Hitpoints: 53,700 vs 58,600 -- Lion has more initial hitpoints

Gun number and size: equal

ROF, rotation time: equal

Firing range: 21.14 km vs 18.85 km -- NC fires farther

Dispersion: 271 m vs 267 m. -- pretty much equal

HE damage & Fire chance: 5700/36 vs 6900/46 -- Lion's HE hits harder and sets fires better

AP damage: 13,100 vs 12,600 -- NC's AP hits harder

Speed 24.43 kts vs 28.03 kts -- Lion is faster

Concealment 15.66 km vs 15.3 km -- about equal

What interested me is that how many things were similar even though the ships were a tier apart. It does seem that the Lion comes out slightly ahead in the comparison.

• Meh 1

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles

Loved my Lion and kept it and gave it it's own 19pt commander

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Lion is excellent. She shines especially because the Iowa, FDG, and Izumo aren't very compelling. 

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

Lion is the first mid-high tier British BB worth playing.  The QE, KGV and Monarch were all very very very average.  Lion is pretty excellent.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,905 battles

It hasn't clicked with me yet, I don't think it's weak but I don't understand it.

At range it's the second most inaccurate T9 BB in my view, ahead of FDG but behind Izumo's IJN dispersion, and behind the better sigma and dispersion modded Iowa. The AP is ok at range and the HE is good, but even with a 48% fire chance you're very much in the hands of RNG. A T9 battleship with the premium damage control party can have a <80s repair cooldown, if you set a fire and it's repaired and then don't set one on the next volley his cool down will be pretty much up by the next volley. I've had 6 hit salvoes for no fire, of course I've had 1-hit, 1-fire too.

Up close you have bad secondaries, give up on the stealth, are more subject to spike damage overwhelming your repair, have low initial HP, have an all-or-nothing armor scheme, poor TDS and poor secondaries. It doesn't seem a good idea.

If you can stay at medium range and fade out of view between shots that's good, but it doesn't tank for the team. I did 140k in a game doing that yesterday but took only 5k and felt guilty.

[BONKZ]
[BONKZ]
Members
1,629 posts
16,275 battles
1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Lion is the first mid-high tier British BB worth playing.  The QE, KGV and Monarch were all very very very average.  Lion is pretty excellent.

I hope so, I am at QE, although havent bought her yet and I am fairly unimpressed with these BBs.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

The QE, IMO is the low point of the line.  KGV is marginally better and Monarch marginally better than KGV.  It is not a fun line until you hit the Lion.

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

Doesn't mention super HE alpha, super HE penetration, super HE fire chance, doesn't mention accuracy, nor that Lion is near un-citadel-able. (very different from NC).The stats mean very little. 

The two ships are not comparable. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

I dumped the KGV....total turd

Members
1,301 posts
883 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

NC (++) vs Lion (+++)

Hitpoints: 53,700 vs 58,600 -- Lion has more initial hitpoints

Gun number and size: equal

ROF, rotation time: equal

Firing range: 21.14 km vs 18.85 km -- NC fires farther

Dispersion: 271 m vs 267 m. -- pretty much equal

HE damage & Fire chance: 5700/36 vs 6900/46 -- Lion's HE hits harder and sets fires better

AP damage: 13,100 vs 12,600 -- NC's AP hits harder

Speed 24.43 kts vs 28.03 kts -- Lion is faster

Concealment 15.66 km vs 15.3 km -- about equal

What interested me is that how many things were similar even though the ships were a tier apart. It does seem that the Lion comes out slightly ahead in the comparison.

That is the stock NC and stock Lion. Here's a comparison of the fully upgraded NC and Lion.

North Carolina Lion
HP 66,000 67,900
Total HP with premium heal 102,960 149,380
Range 23.3 km 20.7 km
Horizontal dispersion 292 m 267 m
Sigma 2.0 1.8
HE alpha and fire chance 5,700, 36% 6,900, 46%
AP alpha 13,100 13,000
Speed 27.5 knots 29.5 knots
Concealment 15.7 km 15.3 km

Here's the thing, the Lion can mount both the reload and accuracy upgrade modules, while the NC can mount neither. When the heal is factored in, the Lion's total HP exceeds all other tier 9 battleships. The Lion also has better rudder shift, and obscene fire chance.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,151 posts
30,906 battles

Lion is a solid ship.

For most parts, I think well of the Tier VII+ RN BBs.

KGV I really like but she has some glaring flaws.

Monarch?  She's okay but... She feels kind of lacking somewhere that I just can't place.

Lion?  The first BB where all the unique features, perks of the RN BB Line actually combine.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,905 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Monarch?  She's okay but... She feels kind of lacking somewhere that I just can't place.

Monarch is bad, and worse - has no soul.

That lack of soul is what you're subconsciously feeling. Like a horse who can tell when someone's a prat.

Sign in to follow this