Azur Lane discussion thread!

3,426 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,458 posts
4,369 battles
5 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

It seems that DMM also distributes, besides Kancolle, Warthunder. You can see where the potential conflict arises.

In addition, DMM also apparently has some rather adult content on their website, so foreign legal concerns are a potential issue.

Add in Kadokawa's contract with DMM, which apparently forces them to make little money off of the entire thing (hence all the merchandise and other marketing tactics), and one can see why a collaboration with WG is very untenable.

Apparently, DMM is guilty for the—dare I say it—relative stagnation of Kancolle, but so far, most of it is hearsay.

Finally, even if all other concerns were removed, Kancolle executives would have to ask: is it worth it to heavily market the game to western countries, in particular the US and Europe?

• The fact that Kancolle idolizes ships that many Americans hold as the tools of an empire that massacred its way across the Pacific and was the ally of possibly the worst genocidal regime (not to mention Pearl Harbor: there are still around 2k survivors alive, and if they publicly object to the game, it would certainly give potential to a backlash) in history is certainly going to raise at least a few eyebrows.
  • In addition, the rather troubling myth that the abyssals (the mutant-like shipgirls that are the primary enemies in-game) are the USN (and to a certain extent, the Royal Navy) may alienate another part of the audience. Certain in-game enemy names (like Revenge torpedo bomber and Cat fighter—parallels to the Avenger and the Wildcat/Hellcat) don't help. The reason I say this myth is busted is because the game DOES have USN shipgirls, however.
    • Subnote: part of Azur Lane's rapid rise is that they have included a large amount of foreign ships that Kancolle doesn't have, including big-name ones like Hood, Arizona, Tirpitz, and Enterprise (in particular a lack of USN and RN ships, given the massive size and fame of those two navies). 
  • The events (basically the Kancolle equivalent of a mission/campaign for new ships) are also mostly based on IJN operations during the war, and I must say sometimes I find it troubling when I watch player fleets attack basically the equivalent of Gambier Bay in a reenactment of Leyte Gulf, for example. I do not believe they have based any event off of USN operations, which may only fuel negative PR.
  • Its genre of a card/resource management game coupled with the massive amounts of RNG has been the rage of most of the playerbase and is indeed why some people prefer Azur Lane: at least they have control of their ships and thus the success and failure of a match.
  • There are certain limits imposed on the game that, unlike with World of Warships, cannot be circumvented with anything except money. For instance, there is a hard limit on ship slots (100) although there are around 500 in total, and certain pieces of equipment are locked behind a paywall. The only alternative is to either bring out the wallet or effectively sell your shipgirls which, unlike in WoWs, is much harder or nearly impossible to get back.
  • The Kancolle anime really squandered its potential and has proven to be a comparative failure at expanding the playerbase; it has pretty much a nonexistent fanbase in the western hemisphere (and even then it's negatively regarded) and even in Japan has not received much attention. Compare this with the KFC collaboration that WG did with China: even today New Mexico and New Orleans are nicknamed "chicken wrap" and "fried chicken burger" respectively by Chinese WoWs players.

TL; DR: Kancolle's genre, its fear of foreign marketing, and its relation to Warthunder are what make any such collaboration basically impossible.

Hmm... this is all very interesting. Thanks for all the write ups.

Frankly, I wasn't quite aware nor interested in either Kancolle or AL... until I started playing this game and noticed the vague similarities (pretty much how all of them deal with warships of past). I never got to play either game, since neither is available for this side of Pacific Ocean... but I did watch the Kancolle anime as a result... and thought it wasn't so bad. I did kinda enjoy it overall, but otherwise it was just one of those shows that I enjoy & finish watching... then put it away, lol.

But I had no idea about Kancolle's tie in with WG's competitor, Warthunder. And I also had no idea about how Kancolle is skewed heavily toward IJN ships. No wonder a seemingly-copycat game known as AL (although it isn't really a copycat) could rise out of no where and take the market by the storm on that side of Pacific. It sounds like Kancolle has pretty much tied its own hands & feet down and can't do much.

So very interesting.

• Cool 1

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles
5 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

A collaboration? My understanding was that KFC China had promotional items called something like "New Orleans Fried Chicken Burger" and "Mexican Chicken Wrap", and it was unintentionally associated with the WoWs ships by the Chinese players.

3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Hmm, I did some research into it, it seems you are in fact correct.

My apologies for the unintentional misinformation.

Though WG actually did promote WoT & WoT Blitz with Burger King when I was in my trip in Russia. I saw it in an international airport at St. Petersburg.
20180319_080308.thumb.jpg.92141669c55950c775e332f3183a663e.jpg

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,458 posts
4,369 battles

I think I read on reddit recently that this collab is coming to other servers too, including NA. So which is really true? Is this collab for SEA only or for all regions?

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,728 posts
9,466 battles
44 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I think I read on reddit recently that this collab is coming to other servers too, including NA. So which is really true? Is this collab for SEA only or for all regions?

XGW7P3K.thumb.png.769133dfdabcb59e3e0d87f6d2c4ca94.png

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,458 posts
4,369 battles
4 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

XGW7P3K.thumb.png.769133dfdabcb59e3e0d87f6d2c4ca94.png

Yay. That's a good news. x3

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,336 posts
5,389 battles
2 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

I really hope this isn’t fake 

If it's real then RIP Kancolle.

[STW-M]
Members
2,933 posts
6,969 battles
4 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

If it's real then RIP Kancolle.

What can I say, 'tis the world of business. If you don't keep your market attracted and rest on your laurels, sooner or later somebody is going to throw you off the throne.

Kancolle has faced multiple challengers over the years like Warship Girls and Victory Belles, and I think the fact that those games fizzled out made them complacent. 

Kancolle has underestimated Azur Lane while Azur Lane did not underestimate Kancolle and rapidly built up its playerbase, marketing, and general business infrastructure.

Among Azur Lane's differences that attempted to build off certain pieces of discontent from Kancolle are:

• including famous foreign ships (and navies) like Enterprise, Tirpitz, and Hood; in comparison, Kancolle features >90% solely IJN ships
  • side-scrolling shooter gameplay and generally gives a greater sense of control to the player as opposed to Kancolle's RNG-style gameplay
  • an actual storyline and references to certain historical events or even other Japanese animes

IMO, now that Azur Lane has managed to grab the coveted World of Warships collaboration (which I believe is the biggest naval game in the western hemisphere), Kancolle has either got to shape up and start fighting back marketing-wise (ie, actions like copyrighting the word kanmusu won't be nearly enough) or accept a drawn-out decline in comparison to Azur Lane.

This news article also provides some insight: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6593-how-azur-lane-is-able-to-rival-kantai-collection-s-popularity-in-japan

• Cool 4

Members
9 posts
570 battles

According to this message, Azur Lane will be released in English:

tPmU9AK.jpg

Can't say if this is legit though, just saw this in the AL english community post

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
1,728 posts
9,466 battles
1 hour ago, AL_Evans said:

According to this message, Azur Lane will be released in English:

tPmU9AK.jpg

Can't say if this is legit though, just saw this in the AL english community post

http://azurlane.yo-star.com/#/ it seems to really conformed at this point as real.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,619 posts
3,839 battles
On 6/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

What can I say, 'tis the world of business. If you don't keep your market attracted and rest on your laurels, sooner or later somebody is going to throw you off the throne.

Kancolle has faced multiple challengers over the years like Warship Girls and Victory Belles, and I think the fact that those games fizzled out made them complacent. 

Kancolle has underestimated Azur Lane while Azur Lane did not underestimate Kancolle and rapidly built up its playerbase, marketing, and general business infrastructure.

Among Azur Lane's differences that attempted to build off certain pieces of discontent from Kancolle are:

• including famous foreign ships (and navies) like Enterprise, Tirpitz, and Hood; in comparison, Kancolle features >90% solely IJN ships
  • side-scrolling shooter gameplay and generally gives a greater sense of control to the player as opposed to Kancolle's RNG-style gameplay
  • an actual storyline and references to certain historical events or even other Japanese animes

IMO, now that Azur Lane has managed to grab the coveted World of Warships collaboration (which I believe is the biggest naval game in the western hemisphere), Kancolle has either got to shape up and start fighting back marketing-wise (ie, actions like copyrighting the word kanmusu won't be nearly enough) or accept a drawn-out decline in comparison to Azur Lane.

This news article also provides some insight: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6593-how-azur-lane-is-able-to-rival-kantai-collection-s-popularity-in-japan

Question is can the English version be maintain and stay up to date with it china and JP version respectfully,

There also other question whether or not core group of AL players will switch and by looks of which there not a lot that are going to. If anything else this for the rest who don't want to jump thought the hoops to play JP or CN version of the game.

Granted this dose give AL a rather large advantage over KC as they finally step into western marketplace with this and will KC do the same or similar to it? I don't have good answer to it as that a very complicated question and how or who owns what on KC, or the finances that requires to go through a localization of said game or who get host and publishment of it and what not.

HOWEVER, there been a lot of gripe with Girls Frontline on how it was basically censored in the west , mainly the devs are getting in trouble with other country with the art and was almost banned in Korea cause there was secret way to uncensored it, which they have to patch it, I wont be surprise if a similar thing happen with AL, if they want to do business other wise they're probably get hammered by no doubt public media how little clothes or what ever the buzz words like to be used to describe about the girls are in game they don't like, this may not happen but don't count on it tho.

End of the day people will say KC dying and AL will be are new Overloards of this type thing,  maybe it is but KC sure doesn't look like going die any time soon.

[WAIFU]
13,336 posts
5,389 battles
27 minutes ago, akh101 said:

End of the day people will say KC dying and AL will be are new Overloards of this type thing,  maybe it is but KC sure doesn't look like going die any time soon.

It's not going to die anytime soon, but Kancolle has been stagnating and looks set to continue doing so.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,619 posts
3,839 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

It's not going to die anytime soon, but Kancolle has been stagnating and looks set to continue doing so.

Hearing that phrase a lot these days, there a lot game apparently stagnating, kinda a moot point to me anyway

[WAIFU]
13,336 posts
5,389 battles
On 6/7/2018 at 10:30 PM, Shigure_DD said:

I mean victory bells is still around lol

Victory Belles hasn't been released. It never arrived in the first place to be still around.

There was a window of opportunity where it might have been the only English language ship girl game, and well placed to target that niche. But they've taken too long and it looks like they've blown it. VB is going to be dead on arrival imho if it arrives at all.

• Cool 2

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,368 posts
6,557 battles
On 6/8/2018 at 5:10 PM, Super_Dreadnought said:

Victory Belles hasn't been released. It never arrived in the first place to be still around.

There was a window of opportunity where it might have been the only English language ship girl game, and well placed to target that niche. But they've taken too long and it looks like they've blown it. VB is going to be dead on arrival imho if it arrives at all.

Sad but true. Especially since many of the VB shipgirl designs are quite good.

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
1,728 posts
9,466 battles
3 hours ago, Cruiser_SanJuan said:

Sad but true. Especially since many of the VB shipgirl designs are quite good.

the VB devs hope to have it out this year and are happy to see AL release. They are pretty active with posting info.

• Cool 2

Members
5,353 posts
6,094 battles

:Smile_hiding:

Don't mind me. I'm just gonna lurk here, waiting for the English version to release. I just hope you guys keep the news rolling in as it comes out.

I wonder if they'll do dual audio for the English version, let us use Japanese voices with full English text and interface?

Edit: Also, 2 things:

1) For those of you playing already, how does building your fleet work? I've seen exactly one video on the gameplay so far (stuntman's video, dreadnought posted it a few weeks ago) and it looks like BBs and CVs take a back line as a support unit and cruisers and DDs are a scout unit? Has anyone had success by not using DDs or do they have to be a part of the scout force? Just curious.

And 2) While I really like Enterprise's design, I wish Shipgirl Irisviel(Yorktown) had more fanart,. Not enough of it in my opinion.

Spoiler

Yorktown.png

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
1,728 posts
9,466 battles
42 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

:Smile_hiding:

Don't mind me. I'm just gonna lurk here, waiting for the English version to release. I just hope you guys keep the news rolling in as it comes out.

I wonder if they'll do dual audio for the English version, let us use Japanese voices with full English text and interface?

who knows but I might think that the AL devs might be here and be reading this vary thread, since they seem to like wows.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,215 posts
5,381 battles

One thing I can say for Azur Lane; they gave me the first version of Wichita that didn't feel like a cheap comp out.  This one has a more unique style and attitude.  Though I still wonder, why does she have 'light' armor when the Portland's have 'medium'.  She was the most heavily armored cruiser of the treaty cruisers (more than the Portlands), only beaten by the Baltimore's and such after the treaty became mute.  /shrug, maybe just game balance.