Pixelf

Azur Lane discussion thread!

3,071 comments in this topic

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles

just barely got mikasa. there was 13 minutes until the event closed when I found her. been leveling her on world 1 all day

DgdKcwW.png

soon she'll be ready to join hiei in honorable battletifqBI7.png

Edited by BB_Tosa

[E501]
[E501]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,725 posts
9,466 battles

Someone that works at Crunchyroll likes Kantai and now AL lol

[BDS]
Members
1 post

image.thumb.png.dde226e9af39ae3455ee7aa17b12648d.png
For wows players who want to play azur lane

DO NOT play chinese server

chinese server has been controlled by chinese government and some game features has been removed.

BTW WOWS and AZUR LANE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT 

aoki hagane is ok because have ships,but u wish fleet girls flowing on maps?

image.thumb.png.dee53d2262074ee97c356d2df5c72172.png

[E501]
[E501]
1,725 posts
9,466 battles

I really do hope this leads the AL devs into doing a English localization. 

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles

For new players:

Do not listen to what was said above about servers
Simply put: it is wrong

here are the actual differences between CN and JP as of march for assets

0in4zKk.png
CN has all equipment and story scenes related to the events that aren't in JP

additionally, CN has an extra world to play in
an extra hard mode map
longer cut scenes

Cognition Awakening
and probably other things i'm forgetting

CN has different leveling mechanics: ships level about 20% faster and do not need to be limit broken to reach level 100 (which is beneficial in one specific circumstance)
Cognition Awakening, which is not on JP, then allows those ships to exceed level 100 if max limit broken and move up to a maximum level of 120

Going the other way: all events are easier in JP
the Chinese ministry of culture asks that suggestive art be censored a bit (but it's reasonable)
the CN girls don't have a special response when you touch their breasts. (i'll leave it up to you do decide if this omission is a bad thing)

Edited by BB_Tosa

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,240 posts
4,261 battles
51 minutes ago, BB_Tosa said:

For new players:

Do not listen to what was said above about servers
Simply put: it is wrong

here are the actual differences between CN and JP as of march for assets

0in4zKk.png
CN has all equipment and story scenes related to the events that aren't in JP

additionally, CN has an extra world to play in
an extra hard mode map
longer cut scenes

Cognition Awakening
and probably other things i'm forgetting

CN has different leveling mechanics: ships level about 20% faster and do not need to be limit broken to reach level 100 (which is beneficial in one specific circumstance)
Cognition Awakening, which is not on JP, then allows those ships to exceed level 100 if max limit broken and move up to a maximum level of 120

Going the other way: all events are easier in JP
the Chinese ministry of culture asks that suggestive art be censored a bit (but it's reasonable)
the CN girls don't have a special response when you touch their breasts. (i'll leave it up to you do decide if this omission is a bad thing)

Mmm... seeing like that seems reasonable, since the CN version is THE original version. Of course it would have more contents and be ahead of events, while the JP version would need to play "catch up."

Still, seeing something like this brings me some bad memories of playing an online action RPG from a long, long time ago, which I shall not mention its name. For that game, the original JP version was far ahead of the contents than the US or the EU version, and because the dev was sloooow to play catch up, it kinda frustrated a lot of people outside of JP. Not a good thing to be reminded of, I should say.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the disparity between AL's CN verion and JP version is bad or anything, since that's just the nature of things based on which version started out first. Of course, indeed. However, I still must confess that my interest does wane quite a bit now. Then again, there seems to be plenty of time between the supposed NA release (Q4 2018, last I heard?), so who knows what will happen in the mean time. Feelings come and go all the time, so I think I should revisit this game when it actually gets an official release date, and then when that date actually draws near.

[PROJX]
Members
203 posts
4,738 battles

well my announcement thread went down lol

i'm going to evacuate to this safer place

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles
4 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Mmm... seeing like that seems reasonable, since the CN version is THE original version. Of course it would have more contents and be ahead of events, while the JP version would need to play "catch up."

Still, seeing something like this brings me some bad memories of playing an online action RPG from a long, long time ago, which I shall not mention its name. For that game, the original JP version was far ahead of the contents than the US or the EU version, and because the dev was sloooow to play catch up, it kinda frustrated a lot of people outside of JP. Not a good thing to be reminded of, I should say.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the disparity between AL's CN verion and JP version is bad or anything, since that's just the nature of things based on which version started out first. Of course, indeed. However, I still must confess that my interest does wane quite a bit now. Then again, there seems to be plenty of time between the supposed NA release (Q4 2018, last I heard?), so who knows what will happen in the mean time. Feelings come and go all the time, so I think I should revisit this game when it actually gets an official release date, and then when that date actually draws near.

uhh. 

JP is about 3 months behind for game mechanics
and about 2 months behind on events

1 hour ago, Eisennagel said:

as real as it gets

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Main thing I want to know is a list of ships the Collab might use?

a lot

nearly every non-german ship in WoWS main trees that's WWII era is in AL
Especially on the British and USN lines
AL is weaker on the IJN and KMS lines

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,240 posts
4,261 battles
4 hours ago, BB_Tosa said:

JP is about 3 months behind for game mechanics
and about 2 months behind on events

I see. Well, that's not so bad then.

I apologize if I sounded a bit too paranoid. The past experience that I mentioned has left some bad taste in my mouth, so my automatic reaction toward such things isn't quite positive at times. Not really my fault, I proclaim, lol.

Nevertheless, I'm still not gonna bother trying for either CN or JP version. I don't speak the languages, and I don't want to meddle with the idea of starting over with the local version when the local version finally arrives... if it ever happens. If not, then... well... it's still not the end of the world. I'll just go play something else. :Smile-_tongue:

[E501]
[E501]
1,725 posts
9,466 battles
15 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Main thing I want to know is a list of ships the Collab might use?

we could see ships like Cleveland, Sims, Eugen, belfast, Benson, Pensacola. etc so a lot of prem and none prem ships

Members
1,960 posts
3,192 battles

@FCA_Wichita

1: man i ain't seen you since FOG disintegrated at least

2: here have this
https://azurlane.koumakan.jp/Wichita#Gallery
you can click on the pictures to go to thier image page, click again for full size one
i think only the main image is scaled, though

Edited by BB_Tosa
  • Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,255 posts
5,218 battles

3z11tl2pd1t01.jpg

Anyone else get the feeling that there might be another batch of characters later on in the collaboration. Seems a waste to only have seven. And only one German? No IJN? No destroyers at all?

From what has been leaked, all WG has to do is paste existing character art to make captains, paint some flags and skins, and record some voices. That would be considerably less effort than the previous ARP and HSF collabs. My gut is telling me that there's more to it than what has been leaked.

• Cool 2

[STW-M]
Members
2,808 posts
6,835 battles

Disclaimer: not an Azur Lane or Kancolle player, but I do follow both of them

Personally, I'm rather amused that it wasn't the veteran anime/warships game Kancolle that managed to snag a collaboration with the number one game in the field of naval combat, but the relatively new Azur Lane.

I do realize the company that runs Kancolle apparently has some sort of business connection with Gaijin, the company that runs Warthunder, and thus makes it rather difficult to collaborate with WarGaming without potentially causing business complications.

Still, one must wonder if Tanaka is kicking himself right now for choosing to stay with WarThunder, the game where naval combat is still very much a WIP (and even then may never match WoWs) compared to THE leader in naval combat gaming, especially since this will probably persuade even more people to start playing Azur Lane and further rivaling Kancolle.

Members
5,090 posts
60 battles
3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Disclaimer: not an Azur Lane or Kancolle player, but I do follow both of them

Personally, I'm rather amused that it wasn't the veteran anime/warships game Kancolle that managed to snag a collaboration with the number one game in the field of naval combat, but the relatively new Azur Lane.

I do realize the company that runs Kancolle apparently has some sort of business connection with Gaijin, the company that runs Warthunder, and thus makes it rather difficult to collaborate with WarGaming without potentially causing business complications.

Still, one must wonder if Tanaka is kicking himself right now for choosing to stay with WarThunder, the game where naval combat is still very much a WIP (and even then may never match WoWs) compared to THE leader in naval combat gaming, especially since this will probably persuade even more people to start playing Azur Lane and further rivaling Kancolle.

You mean DMM.com has a business connection with Gajin for years? For how long?

This is no wonder some KanColle fans were crying about "Y U NO collab with KanColle, WG?!" for some times. Personally, even though I used to be a KanColle fan & used to hang out in the KanColle for years, I don't have much hard feelings if the WoWs x KC collab couldn't be realized. In fact, KanColle is also under the deadlock of Kadokawa, which also made such collab almost impossible.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[STW-M]
Members
2,808 posts
6,835 battles
8 hours ago, Xero_Snake said:

You mean DMM.com has a business connection with Gajin for years? For how long?

This is no wonder some KanColle fans were crying about "Y U NO collab with KanColle, WG?!" for some times. Personally, even though I used to be a KanColle fan & used to hang out in the KanColle for years, I don't have much hard feelings if the WoWs x KC collab couldn't be realized. In fact, KanColle is also under the deadlock of Kadokawa, which also made such collab almost impossible.

It seems that DMM also distributes, besides Kancolle, Warthunder. You can see where the potential conflict arises.

In addition, DMM also apparently has some rather adult content on their website, so foreign legal concerns are a potential issue.

Add in Kadokawa's contract with DMM, which apparently forces them to make little money off of the entire thing (hence all the merchandise and other marketing tactics), and one can see why a collaboration with WG is very untenable.

Apparently, DMM is guilty for the—dare I say it—relative stagnation of Kancolle, but so far, most of it is hearsay.

Finally, even if all other concerns were removed, Kancolle executives would have to ask: is it worth it to heavily market the game to western countries, in particular the US and Europe?

• The fact that Kancolle idolizes ships that many Americans hold as the tools of an empire that massacred its way across the Pacific and was the ally of possibly the worst genocidal regime (not to mention Pearl Harbor: there are still around 2k survivors alive, and if they publicly object to the game, it would certainly give potential to a backlash) in history is certainly going to raise at least a few eyebrows.
  • In addition, the rather troubling myth that the abyssals (the mutant-like shipgirls that are the primary enemies in-game) are the USN (and to a certain extent, the Royal Navy) may alienate another part of the audience. Certain in-game enemy names (like Revenge torpedo bomber and Cat fighter—parallels to the Avenger and the Wildcat/Hellcat) don't help. The reason I say this myth is busted is because the game DOES have USN shipgirls, however.
    • Subnote: part of Azur Lane's rapid rise is that they have included a large amount of foreign ships that Kancolle doesn't have, including big-name ones like Hood, Arizona, Tirpitz, and Enterprise (in particular a lack of USN and RN ships, given the massive size and fame of those two navies). 
  • The events (basically the Kancolle equivalent of a mission/campaign for new ships) are also mostly based on IJN operations during the war, and I must say sometimes I find it troubling when I watch player fleets attack basically the equivalent of Gambier Bay in a reenactment of Leyte Gulf, for example. I do not believe they have based any event off of USN operations, which may only fuel negative PR.
  • Its genre of a card/resource management game coupled with the massive amounts of RNG has been the rage of most of the playerbase and is indeed why some people prefer Azur Lane: at least they have control of their ships and thus the success and failure of a match.
  • There are certain limits imposed on the game that, unlike with World of Warships, cannot be circumvented with anything except money. For instance, there is a hard limit on ship slots (100) although there are around 500 in total, and certain pieces of equipment are locked behind a paywall. The only alternative is to either bring out the wallet or effectively sell your shipgirls which, unlike in WoWs, is much harder or nearly impossible to get back.
  • The Kancolle anime really squandered its potential and has proven to be a comparative failure at expanding the playerbase; it has pretty much a nonexistent fanbase in the western hemisphere (and even then it's negatively regarded) and even in Japan has not received much attention. Compare this with the KFC collaboration that WG did with China: even today New Mexico and New Orleans are nicknamed "chicken wrap" and "fried chicken burger" respectively by Chinese WoWs players.

TL; DR: Kancolle's genre, its fear of foreign marketing, and its relation to Warthunder are what make any such collaboration basically impossible.

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,255 posts
5,218 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:
  • The Kancolle anime really squandered its potential and has proven to be a comparative failure at expanding the playerbase; it has pretty much a nonexistent fanbase in the western hemisphere (and even then it's negatively regarded) and even in Japan has not received much attention. Compare this with the KFC collaboration that WG did with China: even today New Mexico and New Orleans are nicknamed "chicken wrap" and "fried chicken burger" respectively by Chinese WoWs players.

A collaboration? My understanding was that KFC China had promotional items called something like "New Orleans Fried Chicken Burger" and "Mexican Chicken Wrap", and it was unintentionally associated with the WoWs ships by the Chinese players.

[STW-M]
Members
2,808 posts
6,835 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

A collaboration? My understanding was that KFC China had promotional items called something like "New Orleans Fried Chicken Burger" and "Mexican Chicken Wrap", and it was unintentionally associated with the WoWs ships by the Chinese players.

Hmm, I did some research into it, it seems you are in fact correct.

My apologies for the unintentional misinformation.