You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Archangel_Trounce

Kutuzov and smoke rant

16 comments in this topic

[H0PAS]
Members
5 posts
2,663 battles

My average play (dmg and kills) is bad but aggressive. My passive play is worse. Passive is worst and boring to me; I don't play that way. At all. My Kutuzov was super fun to play. Until the smoke nerf FORCED me to play passive. Thanks(sarcasm) for making the Kutuzov and all other agressive ships with smoke "standoff weapons platforms". Thanks (sarcasm) for me to play like a teammate and smoke up another member (BB/CV whatever). Ugh. I can't by anymore ships, because I paid for what the stats and abilities on the ships were. I guess (terms and conditions) I can buy the best ship that you can turn into a cat turd at any time. Buyer beware! 

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles

Until 0.6.14 you can sell back your Kutuzov in port and get the amount back in doubloons.  Read patch notes if you arent satisfied

Members
178 posts
6 minutes ago, Archangel_Trounce said:

My average play (dmg and kills) is bad but aggressive. My passive play is worse. Passive is worst and boring to me; I don't play that way. At all. My Kutuzov was super fun to play. Until the smoke nerf FORCED me to play passive. Thanks(sarcasm) for making the Kutuzov and all other agressive ships with smoke "standoff weapons platforms". Thanks (sarcasm) for me to play like a teammate and smoke up another member (BB/CV whatever). Ugh. I can't by anymore ships, because I paid for what the stats and abilities on the ships were. I guess (terms and conditions) I can buy the best ship that you can turn into a cat turd at any time. Buyer beware! 

Image result for laughing gif

• Cool 2

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

This isn't a push until you die game. You outplay opponents through superior positioning, it's always been this way. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
635 posts
7,023 battles

The smoke nerf didn't force you to play passive. I have come up against quite a few Kutuzov that were being aggressive regardless of their smoke. Your smoke is a tool, not a crutch. I understand that the Kutuzov is a fragile ship in certain situations, but at the same time, your blaming WG for changing the "standoff weapons platforms". For example the Belfast, I played her a lot cause of grinding credits, but has this change forced me to play passive? No. I find a nice island and save my smoke and shoot over. Dont complain and cry about WG when all new changes did was maybe change some tactics from what they were.

Members
2,428 posts
38,376 battles

I do OK in the RN CL T6-9.  I usually pop smoke at 1 km above my detection range, so 10 -11 km depending, and just blaze away.

I'd imagine Kutuzov is similar play style.

Haven't had any change in play style really, though it seems easier to rush DDs if they're not covered by heavy ships.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,974 battles

You can't play your Kutuzov now because you regularly rush within 7.7km of the enemy in it? Sheesh.

As others have said, if that's a deal-breaker for you, you can get your doubloons back for a few more weeks.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,375 battles

Congrats.  You played a Russian cruiser in the exact opposite way it was supposed to be played, and didn't learn anything about how to actually play the Kutuzov or any cruiser in the process.  Now get used to actually having to abide by balance like the rest of us, or just cop out and refund your ship.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 1

[H0PAS]
Members
5 posts
2,663 battles

I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I just have to cool down and learn to play (well more like, enjoy to play this new play style for me.) I have a hard time at 10+ second shell impact times at stand off distances especially in the high tiers when people dodge it quite easily.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, British_Beauty said:

Image result for laughing gif

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the OP.  +1

• Cool 1

Members
84 posts
19,195 battles

Know what I find hysterical to do now?  Sail by DD to less than 7.7km of a smoked up Kutuzov and have him wonder how the hell he's being detected.

I too have a Kutuzov and a Belfast as well as grinding up to the Minotaur.   The change in smoke mechanics has definitely sucked much of the fun out of those ships.

What I don't understand is that the Kut, Belfast and many of the RN cruisers all have the same caliber guns, and yet their detection in smoke varies.  Why is a Neptune 6.6km, a Kutuzov 7.7km and a Belfast 5.4km?  wth?

Wargaming is killing the very thing that sold many players on buying and using those ships.  Yes yes I know all about the "buy back" offer from WG.  Whoopdee friggin doo.  They have yet again made changes to PREMIUM SHIPS.  That's [edited]. 

EDIT:: Apparently putting a B next to and S is enough to get [edited].

Edited by _PisnNapalm_

[KSF]
-Members-
5,295 posts
9,217 battles
8 minutes ago, _PisnNapalm_ said:

What I don't understand is that the Kut, Belfast and many of the RN cruisers all have the same caliber guns, and yet their detection in smoke varies.  Why is a Neptune 6.6km, a Kutuzov 7.7km and a Belfast 5.4km?  wth?

Because detection after firing in smoke is based on the ship's base detection range.  So in that regard the Belfast, being the stealthiest of the three, has the lowest smoke firing detection, while the least stealthy Kutuzov has the highest.  

Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
3 hours ago, Archangel_Trounce said:

If your "aggressive smoke" style kutuzov play is ruined by the smoke detection, then it is not the ship that was turned into a turd, your style of play was a turd before the change, and the change has simply slapped you in the face with the realization that you have been playing the ship to less than its full potential.  

I for one am thankful that folks such as you are hating it.  Hopefully you will stop playing the ship and ruining your teammates experience with your woefully ineffective "super fun to play" style.  

Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
56 minutes ago, _PisnNapalm_ said:

Know what I find hysterical to do now?  Sail by DD to less than 7.7km of a smoked up Kutuzov and have him wonder how the hell he's being detected.

I too have a Kutuzov and a Belfast as well as grinding up to the Minotaur.   The change in smoke mechanics has definitely sucked much of the fun out of those ships.

Wargaming is killing the very thing that sold many players on buying and using those ships.  Yes yes I know all about the "buy back" offer from WG.  Whoopdee friggin doo.  They have yet again made changes to PREMIUM SHIPS.  That's [edited]. 

EDIT:: Apparently putting a B next to and S is enough to get [edited].

I love when DDs do that.  It is like a free RPF skill.   DD around but don't know exactly how far away.  Smoke up, fire, if detected, now I know they are in torp range.   Caught 3 DDs in the past week that way.  

If this was really a smoke nerf, it wouldn't be telling us when we are detected in smoke, only when in open water.  Knowing when you are detected in smoke gives a ship with short range Hydro and no spotter planes WAY too much knowledge that it would never be able to get otherwise.    

Honestly for anyone playing the Kutuzov right, this change is a smoke BUFF.

[KMS]
Members
242 posts

The Kutuzov has a 19.1 firing range you should be using that to your advantage. It's a fire starter, so yeah hitting a DD at max range is going to be a bit of an issue, but cruisers/BB and CV's I lite them up all day.  As for smoke, hasn't effected me one bit in the way I play my Kutu since I always sat in the back and didn't allow anything to get any closer then 10-11K.  With the new smoke mechanic, you can see where your detection range is while in smoke... you just have to adjust a little.  I wouldn't sell back my Belfast or Kutuzov for anything as I love playing them immensely (19 pt Capt on both).