Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

Kii Captain Help

3 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
5,141 battles

I'm slowly rebuilding my win rate after horrible showings in Kii and Harekaze when I first started the game.

But I need help.

I don't drive coops that often, and randoms are tough.

I've gotten my captain up to 9 points, and I've taken the following skills: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, and Superintendent.

My playstyle has progressed, obviously, since the first days when I'd charge blindly into the unknown. But I'm having difficulty with accuracy (I know, no surprise, I'm working on that), and I need to know what I can do to improve the Kii's survivability and/or endurance so I can get closer to hit more reliably inside of 14 kilometers (seems to be the sweet spot).

Other than that, I'll burn through spotter planes at the beginning of match, but only get 1 off before either we're already fully engaged (in which case I'm likely to forget about it entirely), and by that point it's only use is if we last to end of match and require it for some last-minute long-range shots to try and seal the deal on weakened enemy vessels.

What skills could I take for my Captain to up my potency?

kii-captain.png

[HOTMC]
Members
31 posts
8,097 battles

Hello BrandonKF,

I know that everyone plays ships differently; and as I do not recall seeing your play-style while using the Kii, I don't know if you are already playing the Kii the same as I play the Kii. I found myself playing the Kii better as a mid-range pounder somewhere between a Fuso and Bayern for style of play. While in game I will target ships no more than 16km from myself. I know the maximum range for the main batteries is 19.4km; but I find that anything past 16km I might as well be an Imperial Storm Trooper from Star Wars, as past 16km I can't hit the side of a space station. I always try to stay on the far edge of the mid-range, the secondary batteries have a 5km range and should I find myself within that 5km range of another ship; then I am moments away from being deleted from the match. Typically this means I try to stay between 10km - 16km away from the red team at any given time.

Torpedoes! While the Kii does have torpedoes available I use them when I am being harassed by DDs, and to this day I don't think I have hit anything with the torpedoes.

Modules wise, I dumped the spotter and went with the catapult-fighter instead. This gives me a better chance to at least survive my first encounter with the red team's torpedo bombers. Plus since I can't seem to hit anything past 16km; the boost to maximum distance doesn't help me with the spotter available.

Flag's I mount: November Echo for better AA, India X-Ray and Victor Lima for lighting the world on fire, Juliet Charlie so I don't detonate because of the previous 2 signals, Juliet Yankee as those dang DDs and their torps, and India Yankee as I am a giant match and every shell is flint against my steel; after those I mount more credit gaining signals as I like the additional income boost.

Skills, with the Kii I am focused on survivability as such I went with: 1-Priority Target, 2-Adrenaline Rush, 3-Basics of Survivability; next when I get a couple more skill-points available I will be picking up 4-Fire Prevention

With this setup after 21 battles I have a 48% WR, and survived 7 battles.

For me the Kii is one giant paint store with flammable lacquer stored across every available space on the deck. In battles with CVs I try to stay near better AA equipped BBs and CAs. When a red team's DD is spotted I switch that to my priority target; and I am only spraying HE the entire match.

Kii_Captain.PNG

Edited by PhotoNinja101

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles
24 minutes ago, PhotoNinja101 said:

Hello BrandonKF,

I know that everyone plays ships differently; and as I do not recall seeing your play-style while using the Kii, I don't know if you are already playing the Kii the same as I play the Kii. I found myself playing the Kii better as a mid-range pounder somewhere between a Fuso and Bayern for style of play. While in game I will target ships no more than 16km from myself. I know the maximum range for the main batteries is 19.4km; but I find that anything past 16km I might as well be an Imperial Storm Trooper from Star Wars, as past 16km I can't hit the side of a space station. I always try to stay on the far edge of the mid-range, the secondary batteries have a 5km range and should I find myself within that 5km range of another ship; then I am moments away from being deleted from the match. Typically this means I try to stay between 10km - 16km away from the red team at any given time.

Torpedoes! While the Kii does have torpedoes available I use them when I am being harassed by DDs, and to this day I don't think I have hit anything with the torpedoes.

Modules wise, I dumped the spotter and went with the catapult-fighter instead. This gives me a better chance to at least survive my first encounter with the red team's torpedo bombers. Plus since I can't seem to hit anything past 16km; the boost to maximum distance doesn't help me with the spotter available.

Flag's I mount: November Echo for better AA, India X-Ray and Victor Lima for lighting the world on fire, Juliet Charlie so I don't detonate because of the previous 2 signals, Juliet Yankee as those dang DDs and their torps, and India Yankee as I am a giant match and every shell is flint against my steel; after those I mount more credit gaining signals as I like the additional income boost.

Skills, with the Kii I am focused on survivability as such I went with: 1-Priority Target, 2-Adrenaline Rush, 3-Basics of Survivability; next when I get a couple more skill-points available I will be picking up 4-Fire Prevention

With this setup after 21 battles I have a 48% WR, and survived 7 battles.

For me the Kii is one giant paint store with flammable lacquer stored across every available space on the deck. In battles with CVs I try to stay near better AA equipped BBs and CAs. When a red team's DD is spotted I switch that to my priority target; and I am only spraying HE the entire match.

Kii_Captain.PNG

I honestly can't figure out why you chose the flags you did. The fire chance and flooding flags are pretty much wasted, and should you choose the right captains skills, she has some of the best AA in the game, wasting that flag as well. Choosing PT on a T8 BB that can be seen from space makes no sense to me, either. Accept that you're going to have fire rained down upon you, and focus on keeping your main guns working.

I run PM, EM, BFT, AFT, and AR, with 2 other skill points waiting for a friend, and they'll go to BoS. For flags, I use speed, fire reduction, and the extra repair percentage, and then use the economic flags. BFT and AFT also make life interesting for DD's who try to sneak in close. While her secondaries are not Bismarck's, they can and will deal damage consistently.

I use the spotter, not the fighter, because that fighter is going to accomplish exactly nothing. Kii's range is short compared to many T8 and up BB's, the spotter enables her to fire across the map, and since she's fairly accurate at range, it works.

Kii is an armored main gun and AA platform, and should be skilled for and played as such. Those are her strengths, discounting them and going away from that all but ensures you WON'T survive, as you've found out already.

I use Aux Arm 1 to keep my secs and AA intact, and I personally use the secondary module, I'm a brawler in a BB. However, many will choose Aim Mod, and that's perfectly viable, and makes her main guns even more lethal at range. I tend to be close, dispersion doesn't affect me as much. I use the dc mods and TA to round it out.

Sign in to follow this