Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Justin_Santiago_defender

how to play brtish crussiers

13 comments in this topic

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

Until you get smoke, it's a pretty rough ride. Try playing them like super-sized destroyers with a citadel, setting up ambushes and using islands to lob shells over. Torpedo anything that tries to push you out from behind your island (namely other cruisers and destroyers). Learning which islands you can use on what map is a trial/error experience, but your shells should be lofty enough that they can go over most medium-height islands.

Members
1,577 posts
16,977 battles

Honestly, British cruisers are arguably the hardest to play/grind. 

[O_O]
Members
5,006 posts
11,251 battles

The UK cruisers are pretty 'meh' from T1-T5.  At Tier 6, however, Leander gets pretty darned good.  Fiji is a beast.  That's as high as I have gotten in this line, but I expect similarly great things the rest of the way up.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,192 posts
11,684 battles

Smoke mechanic just recently changed 6.12; please check the changed as gun boom shooting from inside smoke will review you.

Read patch note

Members
2,524 posts
7,157 battles
2 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

Honestly, British cruisers are arguably the hardest to play/grind. 

which has only been made harder with the smoke changes...

2 hours ago, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

Until you get smoke, it's a pretty rough ride. Try playing them like super-sized destroyers with a citadel, setting up ambushes and using islands to lob shells over. Torpedo anything that tries to push you out from behind your island (namely other cruisers and destroyers). Learning which islands you can use on what map is a trial/error experience, but your shells should be lofty enough that they can go over most medium-height islands.

this is basically how it is for RN cruisers until you get the Leander, then it is a similar play style from there until Neptune. Minotaur is a unique ship which plays much differently than the rest of the line.

this should help you with the Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh & Neptune. Though i will say, if something gets under 6km from you in smoke, stop firing and try to escape out the back of the smoke and put as much distance between you and them before the smoke ends.

[NSEW]
Members
1,031 posts
On 22/10/2017 at 11:31 PM, 212thAttackBattalion said:

which has only been made harder with the smoke changes...

this is basically how it is for RN cruisers until you get the Leander, then it is a similar play style from there until Neptune. Minotaur is a unique ship which plays much differently than the rest of the line.

How so? I'd like to know the subtle differences or pronounced ones if any. I haven't seen any many reviews which directly distinguishing the two apart.

Members
2,524 posts
7,157 battles
Just now, LowSpeed_US said:

How so? I'd like to know the subtle differences or pronounced ones if any. I haven't seen any many reviews which directly distinguishing the two apart.

Differences:

Mino has a much higher citadel and larger dimensions, so is easier to hit, unlike the smaller, more slender Cruisers from Tier 6+

The guns have much loftier arcs and are more optimized for long range gunnery over mountains from a distance.

Those are the main 2 differences.... I'd ask someone who specializes more in the Mino than I' am.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,184 posts
6,638 battles

Of all of the British cruisers so far, I have found the Danae the easiest to play. She has good torps (on both sides of the ship), enabling good ambushes if you can surprise the enemy at the corner of an island or in a colleague's smoke. They can be ripple fired individually, meaning that you can create custom patterns, either very wide or (if you are confident of your aim) extremely narrow, which cruisers of other nations cannot do.

Her guns are not the best, but if you are a good shot you can make them count against cruisers of your own tier that show broadsides. Be aware that these are not like the 6 inch guns of other nations' T4 cruisers and you are wasting your time against battleship belt armour; fire at the superstructures instead. 

Things get much more difficult in the Emerald, because unlike the Danae which can cope against Tier plus one opposition, you are now against tier +2, so you face ships in Tiers 6 and 7, most of which outrange you and many of which can tear you into little tiny pieces. Get the upgraded fire control system as soon as you have the ship XP for it. Smoke used to be a good solution but is less good now, although I hear changes are coming in patch 0.6.13 to give you a larger patch to hide in (for what that's worth; just stay beyond 6km away from any ship that poses a threat to you).

I have tried the airplane consumable and its use is contentious; the ability to see over hills and fire a little further is great, but you cannot carry both the airplane and smoke, and I have so far found smoke to be the consumable that keeps me alive the most. At least once I have popped both smoke and hydro and hidden at the edge of a cap in plain view until I took it unassisted. Then I ran out of smoke charges and luck at the same time. Oops.

[NSEW]
Members
1,031 posts
30 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Differences:

Mino has a much higher citadel and larger dimensions, so is easier to hit, unlike the smaller, more slender Cruisers from Tier 6+

The guns have much loftier arcs and are more optimized for long range gunnery over mountains from a distance.

Those are the main 2 differences.... I'd ask someone who specializes more in the Mino than I' am.

The differences I spoke was meant for Neptune vs Minotaur. Not the preceeding tiers below them.

Members
2,524 posts
7,157 battles
Just now, LowSpeed_US said:

The differences I spoke was meant for Neptune vs Minotaur. Not the preceeding tiers below them.

Ahh, fair enough... my mistake.

Then the main difference there is the lofty shells and reload. Mino can rain an almost nonstop hail of shells over islands and other obstacles that Neptune can't do.  Neptune is basically an oversized Edin/Fiji with a super heal and raised citadel, so you gotta stay further back also due to the worse smoke detection range.

Members
284 posts
11,788 battles

Can't tell you pretty much how to play it,one thing i could say is "island is your best allies"

Spoiler

shot-16_11.26_15_33.40-0453.thumb.jpg.ff7f6d3b40e6813313ec72c466bef585.jpgshot-16_12.06_22_13.26-0534.thumb.jpg.5cb908b92f49b0366f8714f18f72b591.jpgshot-17_05.31_09_34.23-0003.thumb.jpg.b1387848debb4ec15c824e62ad1ba2db.jpg

Sign in to follow this