You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrandonKF

My Solution For Horrible Winrate/Uptiering

57 comments in this topic

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles

I read a lot of folks desiring a change in the Matchmaker. I've also read plenty of hints that show where the MM fails by placing divisions of average players against divisions of "unicum" players.

Last night I hit the wall in my HSF Harekaze. I purchased it with a 8 point captain. Unfortunately, that's not enough to buy Concealment Expert wholesale. So, when uptiered against tier 9s and 10s, once again I find myself unable to take advantage of my most trusted shield for destroyers; i.e. not being detected.

Head to head against a Fletcher with a 10 point captain (I left off 2 points to later purchase CE), I failed miserably.

I cussed the lot of them out while my team disintegrated (hello, non-skill matchmaking), and I was chastised by one player for needing to "git gud" and stop being salty.

My retort was typical of my military background. I'm sick of hearing from clowns who have paid just as much money as I have, who have played since the beginning, and who have re-rolled under new personas to pad their stats, that I need to be "gud".

Let me see these individuals play on an i4400 GPU and i3 processor which can barely achieve 39 fps before action starts on a 1360×750 frame, with Low resolution.

Try it for a few matches.

That was my offer.

The response?

"Then maybe you don't need to be playing."

I didn't buy a Harekaze to be a pinata for 9s and 10s. I sure didn't buy it to let it sit in port and be just another trophy.

I bought it because I liked the reviews for it, I like the anime angle, and I think the ship handles very well when you have it properly outfitted and captained, and against 9s with good teams even a "new" player like me can pull off a victory.

But without the high skills, the ship suffers. It also suffers in the loss of frame rate and resolution versus others operating with better GPUs.

The captain that killed me (not the guy who told me to quit playing) advised me to use Harekaze as a gunboat in those close encounters. I'll take it under advisement for the future.

But first, I'm quitting randoms and I'll have to grind the captain up - slowly - in Co-op.

That goes for my destroyers across the board.

If you look up my stats, my winrate in the destroyers is horrid. In part that is due to me. In part it is due to the lack of skills needed to help keep my destroyers at full potency (a 1 point captain doesn't offer nearly as much to the ship as a 14 or 18 point). The third part is the machine I operate off. The last is being hard pressed to carry teams when my early game results in me being crippled with less than 2,000 hit points.

To the individual that told me to quit playing... and to his ilk... I look forward to upgrading my captain and this computer and making you suffer losses.

To those who are by winrate only average, but desire to be better than good, I am with you on the frustration of being uptiered and constantly struggling to come to a place where you can go 5 and 0 for wins without suffering terrible losses for 10 or 12 matches in between.

Others might claim that I shouldn't worry too greatly about my winrate, that it isn't a full measure of a player's skill.

I accept that, but when SALTY, OPG, and other fleets will require higher than average winrates to accept new membership, clearly that is one of their founding principles on which to build their reputation.

Until I can upgrade the captains to allow me to use more guile in my uptiered matches, I'll need to leave destroyer grinds altogether.

In the meantime, cruisers suffer horribly, but they can be great destroyer hunters, so I can operate those. And battleships remain my favorite.

Until next time I see you on the ocean, peace.

Edited by BrandonKF

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,983 battles
12 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

I purchased it with a 10 point captain. Unfortunately, that's not enough to buy Concealment Expert wholesale.

How is it not enough? 10 points are enough to get CE last time I checked.

• Cool 2

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles

I don't understand... you can't get CE with a 10 point commander? 

Also, don't expect your stats to jump up when you get a new rig... no doubt it will be easier to play, but manage your expectations. It won't fix situational awareness or decision making.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,165 battles

A ten point captain can get you concealment expert. In fact, with only ten points, I'd recommend this sort of build for the Harekaze: 

lwBetq6.png?1

That's Preventative Maintenance so that your modules won't be broken so easily, Last Stand for those situations where your engine or rudder break and you can't fix it immediately, Torpedo Armament Expertise so that your torpedoes reload faster (They are where the bulk of your damage should be coming from), and lastly Concealment Expert. 

For the Harekaze specially, try to avoid close range engagements—at least, don't fight other destroyers with only a 10 point captain.

As you correctly noted, destroyers are very reliant on their captain skills, and the Harekaze even more so than most. 

So, until you get a better captain, rely on your torpedoes to do most of your damage, and slowly level up. In the meantime, use the 100 mm guns, just be aware that AP is more useful than HE—at least, until you get IFHE. 

The end goal is having a captain set-up something like this: 

AuzfPcq.png     

(Side note: The 3 point skill Survivability Expert can be swapped for anything else at the tier fairly easily. Most of them work for the Harekaze, and it's down to personal preference.)

Now, as for your computer issues. 

Mine does 20 fps on a good day. It's enough. This isn't one of those games where framerate or the like is really all that important. As long as you have a good connection to the server, without too much lag, you should be fine. 

Is it annoying? Of course. But it's still more than playable. 

I'd suggest watching some youtube videos about WoWs. Observe what unicums are doing in different situations, how it's different from your playstyle. Figure out ways in which you can improve, and work from there. Don't try to use the "my computer is bad" excuse. You computer doesn't matter. Only the connection does—and if you do have lag, that's understandable. But, I don't see you complaining about lag. So I assume that's not a problem. 

Sincerely, River—the one who plays on a 5 year old HP laptop.  

(P.s, there's a free captain re-set thing going on now. You can change the captain skills around for the next day without any cost.

Use it.)

Edited by RivertheRoyal
  • Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
864 posts
13,316 battles
19 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

Last night I hit the wall in my HSF Harekaze. I purchased it with a 10 point captain. Unfortunately, that's not enough to buy Concealment Expert wholesale. So, when uptiered against tier 9s and 10s, once again I find myself unable to take advantage of my most trusted shield for destroyers; i.e. not being detected.

With a 10-pt. captain, my advice is to take advantage of the ability to re-spec captains with no doubloons through Oct. 23, 04:00 PT (07:00 ET).

Though I do not have the Harekaze, I am a DD main with some understanding of the principals.

My suggestion would be to try:

1 - Preventive Maintenance (1 point)

2 - Last Stand (2 points = 3 total points)

3 - Survivability Expert (3 points = 6 total points)

4 - Concealment Expert (4 points = 10 total points)

Add Torpedo Armament Expert when you have a 13-pt captain and I think you have a pretty solid build. You will still get your butt handed to you by a Fletcher up close, but you will have a little more room to work with before being spotted.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck, captain.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
5,385 posts
6,123 battles
12 minutes ago, m373x said:

How is it not enough? 10 points are enough to get CE last time I checked.

Exactly this. ^

OP, IJN DDs should be taking PM, LS, TAE, and CE as their skills on the first 10 commander points. Those are the core skills for IJN DDs and should be taken as soon as possible on all ships in both lines.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
45 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

The response?

Not to sound insensitive, but considering the details and being objective, they have a point.  Difficult not being a liability to the team playing on a minimal rig, with a small monitor, and running low double-digit framerates.  Many of us know this first hand.  Don't take it personal.

Second, why on earth would you think you can't get Concealment Expert with a ten-point captain?  That is often the first ten-point skill people look forward to getting.  Curious that anyone playing a high-tier destroyer wouldn't already know this...

Third, up-tiering is standard in these kinds of games and it's never as bad as some would suggest.  Comes with the territory.  Everyone is playing exactly the same game and deals with the same things, yet most do just fine without any drama.  Unfortunately, it's something of a trend for some to immediately and lazily (and often) complain about anything that doesn't suit their whims.  They talk about +2/-2 as though something is technically wrong with that.  Argumentum ad populum is a thing, so beware of that pitfall.

Edited by Kuckoo

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,870 battles
39 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

HSF Harekaze. I purchased it with a 10 point captain. Unfortunately, that's not enough to buy Concealment Expert

Wrongsville,  Brandon.

Lvl 1 = 1 pt, Lvl 2 = 2 pts, Lvl 3 = 3 pts. This is 6 pts. You have a 10 pt Cpt. Nothing stops you from using the remaining 4 pts for Concealment Expert at Lvl 4.

You might, however, need remedial math instruction.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,152 battles
52 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

I read a lot of folks desiring a change in the Matchmaker. I've also read plenty of hints that show where the MM fails by placing divisions of average players against divisions of "unicum" players.

Last night I hit the wall in my HSF Harekaze. I purchased it with a 10 point captain. Unfortunately, that's not enough to buy Concealment Expert wholesale. So, when uptiered against tier 9s and 10s, once again I find myself unable to take advantage of my most trusted shield for destroyers; i.e. not being detected.

Head to head against a Fletcher with a 10 point captain (I left off 2 points to later purchase CE), I failed miserably.

I cussed the lot of them out while my team disintegrated (hello, non-skill matchmaking), and I was chastised by one player for needing to "git gud" and stop being salty.

My retort was typical of my military background. I'm sick of hearing from clowns who have paid just as much money as I have, who have played since the beginning, and who have re-rolled under new personas to pad their stats, that I need to be "gud".

Let me see these individuals play on an i4400 GPU and i3 processor which can barely achieve 39 fps before action starts on a 1360×750 frame, with Low resolution.

That was my offer.

The response?

I didn't buy a Harekaze to be a pinata for 9s and 10s. I sure didn't buy it to let it sit in port and be just another trophy.

I bought it because I liked the reviews for it, I like the anime angle, and I think the ship handles very well when you have it properly outfitted and captained, and against 9s with good teams even a "new" player like me can pull off a victory.

But without the high skills, the ship suffers. It also suffers in the loss of frame rate and resolution versus others operating with better GPUs.

The captain that killed me (not the guy who told me to quit playing) advised me to use Harekaze as a gunboat in those close encounters. I'll take it under advisement for the future.

But first, I'm quitting randoms and I'll have to grind the captain up - slowly - in Co-op.

If you look up my stats, my winrate in the destroyers is horrid. In part that is due to me. In part it is due to the lack of skills needed to help keep my destroyers at full potency (a 1 point captain doesn't offer nearly as much to the ship as a 14 or 18 point). The third part is the machine I operate off. The last is being hard pressed to carry teams when my early game results in me being crippled with less than 2,000 hit points.

To the individual that told me to quit playing... and to his ilk... I look forward to upgrading my captain and this computer and making you suffer losses.

To those who are by winrate only average, but desire to be better than good, I am with you on the frustration of being uptiered and constantly struggling to come to a place where you can go 5 and 0 for wins without suffering terrible losses for 10 or 12 matches in between.

Others might claim that I shouldn't worry too greatly about my winrate, that it isn't a full measure of a player's skill.

I accept that, but when SALTY, OPG, and other fleets will require higher than average winrates to accept new membership, clearly that is one of their founding principles on which to build their reputation.

Until I can upgrade the captains to allow me to use more guile in my uptiered matches, I'll need to leave destroyer grinds altogether.

In the meantime, cruisers suffer horribly, but they can be great destroyer hunters, so I can operate those. And battleships remain my favorite.

You could spend $ converting some stuff for upgrading your Captain to get concealment ... and that may be Wows point$$

• Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
13 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Wrongsville,  Brandon.

Lvl 1 = 1 pt, Lvl 2 = 2 pts, Lvl 3 = 3 pts. This is 6 pts. You have a 10 pt Cpt. Nothing stops you from using the remaining 4 pts for Concealment Expert at Lvl 4.

You might, however, need remedial math instruction.

Never was my strong suit. It was the 8 point captain.

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,983 battles
8 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

Never was my strong suit. It was the 8 point captain.

You had it the easy way, some of the players you are fighting started with 0 point captain.

• Cool 2

[SQUAD]
Members
8,037 posts
8,374 battles

The problem isn't the skills for the in game captain, the problem is the driver. I could strip my Harekaze down to zero captains skills, and I know for a fact I'd do better than you're doing. I know this for one very specific reason: I know, I mean really know, DD's. I've studied them all, even those I don't have yet, because I know I'll have to play against them.

Plus, if one uses the third hull for Harekaze, they get a massive artillery upgrade, not to mention fire chance.

If your issues are with detection, then you just stay at your main gun range and spam your 10km torps when they cool down. WASD hax and all is well. I mean, seriously man, these are basic, and I do mean basic, DD's tools and tactics. IJN built DD's aren't meant to be gun fighting other DD's, that's a last resort thing. They're meant to scout, keep the reds lit up, and fire torpedoes, and cap if they can, and I stress the IF, there. Again, basic things you should have learned by T5 in an IJN DD, or DD's as a whole, but specifically the IJN in this case.

If you bought your way into T8, then once again, the issue is you, not your net, graphics, comp, it's you, YOU are the driver.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm really not, however, I do feel those other players who said that to you may have a point. You are a liability, whatever the reason. You know you're a liability, and yet you keep being a liability.

Learn the ships you play, AND face. Learn maps and tactics. THOSE are what matter most. A unicum I know plays on a 13 inch screen basic laptop, using its onboard wireless. Not a gaming lappy, a regular old inexpensive lappy. Unicum. Crap lappy. Unicum.

Your gear ain't the issue.

• Cool 2

[NO]
Members
369 posts
14,548 battles

You realized you are bad. Congratulations ( in all seriousness congratulations) you are now on the first step to improving.

1) take most advice given to you in game (a lot of these advice would be hidden in a box of insult). People with below average performance are usually making some basic easy to fix mistakes usually with decision making or positioning.

2) keep learning. A tier 8 dd is just as scary to most bbs and cas as a tier 9/10 dd. With proper positioning you can force enemies into unfavorable situations. Heck I know I, and my clan mates who are actual Unicom players, have died to a dd that never launched a torp their direction because it was last spotted at point X, causing us to have to position a certain way which in the situation opened us up to other threats.

3) keep ur pride in check. Pride can be the greates leverage in learning but also the greatest hinderence. Don’t be defeated by ur pride but rather force it to submit to YOU and have it work for you.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
56 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

A ten point captain can get you concealment expert. In fact, with only ten points, I'd recommend this sort of build for the Harekaze: 

lwBetq6.png?1

That's Preventative Maintenance so that your modules won't be broken so easily, Last Stand for those situations where your engine or rudder break and you can't fix it immediately, Torpedo Armament Expertise so that your torpedoes reload faster (They are where the bulk of your damage should be coming from), and lastly Concealment Expert. 

For the Harekaze specially, try to avoid close range engagements—at least, don't fight other destroyers with only a 10 point captain.

As you correctly noted, destroyers are very reliant on their captain skills, and the Harekaze even more so than most. 

So, until you get a better captain, rely on your torpedoes to do most of your damage, and slowly level up. In the meantime, use the 100 mm guns, just be aware that AP is more useful than HE—at least, until you get IFHE. 

The end goal is having a captain set-up something like this: 

AuzfPcq.png     

(Side note: The 3 point skill Survivability Expert can be swapped for anything else at the tier fairly easily. Most of them work for the Harekaze, and it's down to personal preference.)

Now, as for your computer issues. 

Mine does 20 fps on a good day. It's enough. This isn't one of those games where framerate or the like is really all that important. As long as you have a good connection to the server, without too much lag, you should be fine. 

Is it annoying? Of course. But it's still more than playable. 

I'd suggest watching some youtube videos about WoWs. Observe what unicums are doing in different situations, how it's different from your playstyle. Figure out ways in which you can improve, and work from there. Don't try to use the "my computer is bad" excuse. You computer doesn't matter. Only the connection does—and if you do have lag, that's understandable. But, I don't see you complaining about lag. So I assume that's not a problem. 

Sincerely, River—the one who plays on a 5 year old HP laptop.  

(P.s, there's a free captain re-set thing going on now. You can change the captain skills around for the next day without any cost.

Use it.)

I already reset several skills for other ships. Thea in her HSF Graf Spee is the only one at more than 10 points. I was mistaken. I purchased the 8 point captain.

Those Youtubers don't operate 20 fps, and not at Low.

As for lag, depends on the WiFi strength.

14 minutes ago, m373x said:

You had it the easy way, some of the players you are fighting started with 0 point captain.

Congratulations to them. I'll bet they were also here very early on and already had 14 point captains over a year ago.

I'll also wager they bought other premiums, too.

Care to make that bet?

15 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

The problem isn't the skills for the in game captain, the problem is the driver. I could strip my Harekaze down to zero captains skills, and I know for a fact I'd do better than you're doing. I know this for one very specific reason: I know, I mean really know, DD's. I've studied them all, even those I don't have yet, because I know I'll have to play against them.

Plus, if one uses the third hull for Harekaze, they get a massive artillery upgrade, not to mention fire chance.

If your issues are with detection, then you just stay at your main gun range and spam your 10km torps when they cool down. WASD hax and all is well. I mean, seriously man, these are basic, and I do mean basic, DD's tools and tactics. IJN built DD's aren't meant to be gun fighting other DD's, that's a last resort thing. They're meant to scout, keep the reds lit up, and fire torpedoes, and cap if they can, and I stress the IF, there. Again, basic things you should have learned by T5 in an IJN DD, or DD's as a whole, but specifically the IJN in this case.

If you bought your way into T8, then once again, the issue is you, not your net, graphics, comp, it's you, YOU are the driver.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm really not, however, I do feel those other players who said that to you may have a point. You are a liability, whatever the reason. You know you're a liability, and yet you keep being a liability.

Learn the ships you play, AND face. Learn maps and tactics. THOSE are what matter most. A unicum I know plays on a 13 inch screen basic laptop, using its onboard wireless. Not a gaming lappy, a regular old inexpensive lappy. Unicum. Crap lappy. Unicum.

Your gear ain't the issue.

Then they have some serious upgrades to make and turn themselves into super-unicom.

Gear matters.

I'll stay a keffing liability, thanks. You can claim you're not trying to attack me, but I call [edited].

I grinded to tier 6 Fubuki.

Still crap matches.

Care to give me more hints about "basic" stuff I "don't know" about?

Thanks, but no thanks.

10k torps spamming is great. Doesn't do squat when your enemies are accustomed to IJN tactics. Hence, 8 percent hit rate. And you cannot tell me the other players haven't been around as long as you and have equally skilled captains.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
731 posts
6,106 battles
33 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

1 - harekaze does well with area denial torps, and spamming her guns for hull b and c, hit rates dont really matter when considering them for this role.

2 - the ship works best in divisions, but can work well on its own, but is a very different play-style then anything (other then akizuki) it takes some getting used to, there is nothing wrong with admitting that you dont have the skills yet to make the ship work, so long as you are working on learning the game it will all come with time.

3 - i have grinded 3 captains on the harekaze (starting points 0,0, and 8) and while yes the lack of CE does hurt, its not as big of a deal as your making it out to be due to the inhearently low detection the ship starts with. yes it makes it harder, but not impossible to play the ship well

4 - dont complain about your systems specs. if you cant play the game properly thats not anyone elses problem. yes it can be annoying to have low specs, but if you dont like it, go play another game that your computer can run - lord knows i have had to do so a couple times when i started having issues with the game in the past. no one else can do crapabout it but you, so either fix it yourself or dont complain about something no one else can help with.

5 - if your opponent has adapted to your tactics then either your doing something wrong, or you refuse to adapt yourself.  - try cross doping, firing from minimum range, staggered launches with guns as a distraction... ect... eventually you will find ways to reliable hit with at least one of your torps, but it takes practice and learning the game over time.

yes ive bought premium ships, and yes i play on high settings (though only at 26 fps) but im able to do so because i put aside other things to invest in a (moderately) ok PC for myself a few years ago because of issues like yours preventing me from playing the games i wanted to. it took me almost a full 2 years to save up and by it while skimping on games and other things to afford it,but i have yet to regret it (although next time im getting a desktop so i can upgrade it rather then having to buy a new laptop every 4-6 years....). my point is, no one else deserves to hear you complaining about something they had no way of helping you with, so let it go or fix it.

as for 'hints' at basic stuff, they would need to see your games, or be in a game with you. if ya feel like diving up PM me or anyone else who might be willing to help and be willing to listen - admittedly im only a mediocre player so the help i can give is probably very limited.

[WOLF8]
Members
375 posts
7,191 battles

There will always be potatoes who can't stop blaming everything but themselves.

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles

You have less than 1k battles and you bought a t8 premium DD , that to me is your 1st problem, I have t8 cruisers that I have yet to play anything but co op because I know I am not ready for that type of playstyle they have from t8 - 10, go back to the lower level and keep working on it until you are ready for that meta shift...

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
2 hours ago, BrandonKF said:
Spoiler

Head to head against a Fletcher with a 10 point captain (I left off 2 points to later purchase CE), I failed miserably.

That was my offer.

The response?

33 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:
Spoiler

I already reset several skills for other ships. Thea in her HSF Graf Spee is the only one at more than 10 points. I was mistaken. I purchased the 8 point captain.

Congratulations to them. I'll bet they were also here very early on and already had 14 point captains over a year ago.

Care to make that bet?

Then they have some serious upgrades to make and turn themselves into super-unicom.

Gear matters.

I'll stay a keffing liability, thanks. You can claim you're not trying to attack me, but I call [edited].

Still crap matches.

Thanks, but no thanks.

10k torps spamming is great. Doesn't do squat when your enemies are accustomed to IJN tactics. Hence, 8 percent hit rate. And you cannot tell me the other players haven't been around as long as you and have equally skilled captains.

20 fps sounds amazing, try running at minimal settings, low res, and 11 fps maximum. Didn't stop me. Serious upgrades? The upgrades are only minor to moderate bonuses, and they're not exactly that expensive if you just need a specific one. Not to mention you have Harekaze, which prints credits. Other premiums? I've never spent a penny on this game. Once again, did not stop me from doing decently.

Any ship in any matchmaking can do well regardless of FPS, other premiums, or even captain skills and upgrades. Yes, they help, but they are not required. (And frankly, the latter two aren't that hard to obtain, especially considering you have a tier 8 premium to print credits and captain train. A lot of people don't have that luxury, such as myself. Again, it didn't stop me.) Torpedo hit rate is a meaningless stat, you want to be firing torps for area denial even if they don't hit.

If you want to do well, LEARN your ship. People may know IJN tactics, but that doesn't mean they can't be outsmarted. A super-unicum player will have super-unicum scores on any ship, even completely stock. Harekaze is a very good ship and can still pose a severe threat to tier 10s. Look up youtube videos, learn their tactics. This isn't a first-person shooter where FPS is everything. It doesn't matter that youtubers have higher FPS than you. The only class really affected by it is CVs, and even then it's minimal. If you know your ship well you will always do well regardless of other factors.

Here's a good article on the Harekaze: 

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,037 posts
8,374 battles
1 hour ago, BrandonKF said:

Care to make that bet?

Gear matters.

Still crap matches.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Even though you're being an a** about it, sure, I'll give you another tip: AoD. Area of Denial. Using those 10 km torps to herd the reds where you want them to go, and to keep them away from where they want to go. Again, basics, flat out basics.

Tactics, teamwork, understanding the maps, ships, and mechanics. You use poor tactics, you clearly don't understand the ships and how they can work for or against you, and you clearly haven't learned how to utilize the game's core mechanics to your advantage, and keep them from working against you.

Yes, we have many, many 10+ skill point captains, and while those can aid you, they cannot become you. YOU are still the driver, it is your choices in a DD that very often win and /or lose matches. Poor DD play is very nearly an instant loss, whereas the team with decent to good DD play tends to win. This is a fact, not a supposition. The reason is detection and area of denial. Keep them lit, keep them where you want them to be.

Damage is the secondary role of the DD in this game. Sure, it's nice to wrack up some good numbers, but that's not the actual job of the DD, something else you clearly have not learned.

Again, I am not attacking you, I'm just stating the facts. You state you're not a good DD driver, it is up to you to change that if you wish your WR to go up. We can give advice, we can show you where you're going wrong, but we can't force your mind and personality to accept what we say, and we can't drive your ship for you.

[SYN]
Members
15,290 posts
11,994 battles

Having played the Asia server, they tend to have a lot more matches that look like sure losses that turn into wins and vice versa.

I'm still not entirely sure why, but I think it has to do with the campfest and overextended pushes when winning.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,093 battles

OP is the same guy who raged at me for an hour because my NY killed his Kaiser in a duel and he felt like he should have won, blamed everything and everyone but himself.....just sayin...

• Cool 2

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
2 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Even though you're being an a** about it, sure, I'll give you another tip: AoD. Area of Denial. Using those 10 km torps to herd the reds where you want them to go, and to keep them away from where they want to go. Again, basics, flat out basics.

The reason I'm being an a** about it is because you have been an a** about it with others. Also, see:

2 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

There will always be potatoes who can't stop blaming everything but themselves.

1 hour ago, KalishniKat said:

OP is the same guy who raged at me for an hour because my NY killed his Kaiser in a duel and he felt like he should have won, blamed everything and everyone but himself.....just sayin...

@KalishniKat @MikeLWX

Man up. If you're going to go for passive-aggressive, non-commital slights to hide your egos and your insults, there's no quicker way to p*** me off.

That beta stuff can go out the window. Address me, or stay out of my feeds.

Your choice.

-

Back at @TheKrimzonDemon, you have done likewise. Most of the time it's true trolls who complain about anything and everything Wargaming. This, I'll be with you on.

Other times, it's with people who have legitimate grievances. Those I am not with you on.

Most of what you say is great advice, except again, if destroyers aren't the damage class, they often have to deal with reduced experience rewards as a result. I can survive match in a destroyer and impact somewhat and help the team win, but my experience will still be in the lower half of the team.

Helps my winrate, but damage and WTR suffer.

So I get a choice between basically just hanging around near the front where more lethal guys with upgraded captains can outspot my ship, hoping my team is paying attention and focusing their fire (crickets about half the time), or I can try area denial, announce my presence, and be hunted down.

That is disconcerting.

2 hours ago, Speedstang said:

20 fps sounds amazing, try running at minimal settings, low res, and 11 fps maximum. Didn't stop me. Serious upgrades? The upgrades are only minor to moderate bonuses, and they're not exactly that expensive if you just need a specific one. Not to mention you have Harekaze, which prints credits. Other premiums? I've never spent a penny on this game. Once again, did not stop me from doing decently.

Any ship in any matchmaking can do well regardless of FPS, other premiums, or even captain skills and upgrades. Yes, they help, but they are not required. (And frankly, the latter two aren't that hard to obtain, especially considering you have a tier 8 premium to print credits and captain train. A lot of people don't have that luxury, such as myself. Again, it didn't stop me.) Torpedo hit rate is a meaningless stat, you want to be firing torps for area denial even if they don't hit.

If you want to do well, LEARN your ship. People may know IJN tactics, but that doesn't mean they can't be outsmarted. A super-unicum player will have super-unicum scores on any ship, even completely stock. Harekaze is a very good ship and can still pose a severe threat to tier 10s. Look up youtube videos, learn their tactics. This isn't a first-person shooter where FPS is everything. It doesn't matter that youtubers have higher FPS than you. The only class really affected by it is CVs, and even then it's minimal. If you know your ship well you will always do well regardless of other factors.

Here's a good article on the Harekaze: 

I read LittleWhiteMouse's review. 

It was what inspired me to buy the ship in the first place.

As for the rest, I'm sorry you're operating with that low an FPS. However, it can make a difference. I'm hard stretched as is, but I do want to rank pink someday.

3 hours ago, GX9900A said:

1 - harekaze does well with area denial torps, and spamming her guns for hull b and c, hit rates dont really matter when considering them for this role.

2 - the ship works best in divisions, but can work well on its own, but is a very different play-style then anything (other then akizuki) it takes some getting used to, there is nothing wrong with admitting that you dont have the skills yet to make the ship work, so long as you are working on learning the game it will all come with time.

3 - i have grinded 3 captains on the harekaze (starting points 0,0, and 8) and while yes the lack of CE does hurt, its not as big of a deal as your making it out to be due to the inhearently low detection the ship starts with. yes it makes it harder, but not impossible to play the ship well

4 - dont complain about your systems specs. if you cant play the game properly thats not anyone elses problem. yes it can be annoying to have low specs, but if you dont like it, go play another game that your computer can run - lord knows i have had to do so a couple times when i started having issues with the game in the past. no one else can do crapabout it but you, so either fix it yourself or dont complain about something no one else can help with.

5 - if your opponent has adapted to your tactics then either your doing something wrong, or you refuse to adapt yourself.  - try cross doping, firing from minimum range, staggered launches with guns as a distraction... ect... eventually you will find ways to reliable hit with at least one of your torps, but it takes practice and learning the game over time.

yes ive bought premium ships, and yes i play on high settings (though only at 26 fps) but im able to do so because i put aside other things to invest in a (moderately) ok PC for myself a few years ago because of issues like yours preventing me from playing the games i wanted to. it took me almost a full 2 years to save up and by it while skimping on games and other things to afford it,but i have yet to regret it (although next time im getting a desktop so i can upgrade it rather then having to buy a new laptop every 4-6 years....). my point is, no one else deserves to hear you complaining about something they had no way of helping you with, so let it go or fix it.

as for 'hints' at basic stuff, they would need to see your games, or be in a game with you. if ya feel like diving up PM me or anyone else who might be willing to help and be willing to listen - admittedly im only a mediocre player so the help i can give is probably very limited.

No one else deserves to hear me complaining?

That's the only part that makes my eyes narrow.

Ever heard of cathartic behavior?

People love LOLing and making jokes about salt, but the fact is you don't improve the community by constantly talking down every single player that has a beef with their performance.

Guys like @KalishniKat don't care because they want to "weed out" those they don't like. Which quite frankly is b******. Not every player that hates losing streaks is blaming everything but themselves. Sometimes, that stuff you dismiss as "not important" actually does impact another's gameplay.

So dismissing another's complaints as something others shouldn't have to hear is a d*** move at best.

The rest of your advice sounds solid, and I'm fine with incorporating it. So thank you for that.

-

If you want to actually division up, I'll be on for a few hours tonight. Just look up my handle. I'm not going anywhere.

3 hours ago, holycrazyasian said:

You realized you are bad. Congratulations ( in all seriousness congratulations) you are now on the first step to improving.

1) take most advice given to you in game (a lot of these advice would be hidden in a box of insult). People with below average performance are usually making some basic easy to fix mistakes usually with decision making or positioning.

2) keep learning. A tier 8 dd is just as scary to most bbs and cas as a tier 9/10 dd. With proper positioning you can force enemies into unfavorable situations. Heck I know I, and my clan mates who are actual Unicom players, have died to a dd that never launched a torp their direction because it was last spotted at point X, causing us to have to position a certain way which in the situation opened us up to other threats.

3) keep ur pride in check. Pride can be the greates leverage in learning but also the greatest hinderence. Don’t be defeated by ur pride but rather force it to submit to YOU and have it work for you.

I'll keep what pride I have. I am not bowing out to jackwads that have such a huge superiority complex that it makes my teeth grind. Overall, I have done my best to stay humble my entire life. But being everyone else's doormat is not my lot in life anymore.

There are however some who have given me tips in the middle of my raging that I appreciated. They don't know me, but I appreciated their advice.

Edited by BrandonKF

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,165 battles
3 hours ago, BrandonKF said:

Ah, then grind away, get that CE as soon as you can. You can do it in co-op if you want, but I'd advise against that. In tier 8 co-op and higher, the bots just aren't enough like human players to really learn DD play or tactics, and it's slow as balls levelling a captain up in co-op. 

Just bite the bullet, and play randoms. While you might stink up a few teams due to your lack of skills, it's nothing major enough to make a big deal about—excluding the rare butt-hurt individual who takes offence to your very life, of course. 

If there's one thing I could say about playing a DD without CE, it's that you want to play a hell of a lot safer than you would with the skill. Stick back from the front lines a little, at the limits of your torpedo range. While this will limit your damage potential significantly, it will at least keep you alive. If you're feeling more adventurous, ride the very edge of your concealment to try and get torpedoes off. While it is true that playing an IJN DD without CE is annoying, there are still DD's with worse concealment. 

Just try your best until getting CE, don't let the lack thereof discourage you from having fun in randoms. 

And no, those Youtubers do not operate at 20 fps, and they do not use the low settings. They're Youtubers. The game has to look good in their videos, else people will not be so inclined to watch them. However, that's not saying that you have to be running the best gear and highest settings to do well. 

You don't. It is totally and utterly possible to make it to unicum while playing on a heap of junk on the lowest settings and with a stuttering framerate. World of Warships is that type of game, where those things don't matter when playing. Sure, the game looks like a potato, but all the important bits are accurate. You can see enemy ships, you can shoot at them, you can hit them. 

Does having a low end game rig detract from the pleasure of gaming? Of course it does. But all the essential game elements are there. 

For instance, I mentioned that I play on an old laptop. It's an HP, about 5 years old, maybe closer to 6 now. The thing weighs a metric [edited]-ton, and spits out so much heat that a napkin I had next to it while playing Skyrim burst into flames (If you can call a small wisp of smoke 'flames'.)

The screen is constantly sputtering and it takes a minute for me to load into the game. Running Discord in the background is a risky proposition, and I live in fear of the day where the game will crash because of it. The computer itself is scratched to hell, and the left side of the track-pad no longer works. It's missing an 'enter' key, after my sister got ahold of it.

Yet, I seem to be doing fine. 

I always thought that there were 5 keys to doing well in WoWs. 

1. Learn from your mistakes.

2. Getting good at aiming and doing consistent damage. 

3. Know what your team will do.

4. Knowing what the enemy team will do.

5. Figuring out how to position based on #3&4. 

Notice that your computer's quality was not included? It simply doesn't matter nearly as much as the player themselves. 

• Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Ah, then grind away, get that CE as soon as you can. You can do it in co-op if you want, but I'd advise against that. In tier 8 co-op and higher, the bots just aren't enough like human players to really learn DD play or tactics, and it's slow as balls levelling a captain up in co-op. 

Just bite the bullet, and play randoms. While you might stink up a few teams due to your lack of skills, it's nothing major enough to make a big deal about—excluding the rare butt-hurt individual who takes offence to your very life, of course. 

If there's one thing I could say about playing a DD without CE, it's that you want to play a hell of a lot safer than you would with the skill. Stick back from the front lines a little, at the limits of your torpedo range. While this will limit your damage potential significantly, it will at least keep you alive. If you're feeling more adventurous, ride the very edge of your concealment to try and get torpedoes off. While it is true that playing an IJN DD without CE is annoying, there are still DD's with worse concealment. 

Just try your best until getting CE, don't let the lack thereof discourage you from having fun in randoms. 

And no, those Youtubers do not operate at 20 fps, and they do not use the low settings. They're Youtubers. The game has to look good in their videos, else people will not be so inclined to watch them. However, that's not saying that you have to be running the best gear and highest settings to do well. 

You don't. It is totally and utterly possible to make it to unicum while playing on a heap of junk on the lowest settings and with a stuttering framerate. World of Warships is that type of game, where those things don't matter when playing. Sure, the game looks like a potato, but all the important bits are accurate. You can see enemy ships, you can shoot at them, you can hit them. 

Does having a low end game rig detract from the pleasure of gaming? Of course it does. But all the essential game elements are there. 

For instance, I mentioned that I play on an old laptop. It's an HP, about 5 years old, maybe closer to 6 now. The thing weighs a metric [edited]-ton, and spits out so much heat that a napkin I had next to it while playing Skyrim burst into flames (If you can call a small wisp of smoke 'flames'.)

The screen is constantly sputtering and it takes a minute for me to load into the game. Running Discord in the background is a risky proposition, and I live in fear of the day where the game will crash because of it. The computer itself is scratched to hell, and the left side of the track-pad no longer works. It's missing an 'enter' key, after my sister got ahold of it.

Yet, I seem to be doing fine. 

I always thought that there were 5 keys to doing well in WoWs. 

1. Learn from your mistakes.

2. Getting good at aiming and doing consistent damage. 

3. Know what your team will do.

4. Knowing what the enemy team will do.

5. Figuring out how to position based on #3&4. 

Notice that your computer's quality was not included? It simply doesn't matter nearly as much as the player themselves. 

See... that's what I feared.

I knew from my days of Armored Warfare, bots aren't really good training for humans. Humans are far more unpredictable and can be more skilled as long as the bot isn't set to bounce every shot and hit every time it throws rounds at you.

I had a small chuckle about the smoke.

You should feel the computers inside an Abrams in Iraqi heat after operating 18+ hours. The engine can cook your food for you.

But if you can do it, okay. If all of you are so dead set on proving me wrong, then I'll just have to give it yet another go.

And cuss a blue streak when I make mistakes.

Question: Do you want to save up for a new desktop?

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,165 battles
3 minutes ago, BrandonKF said:

See... that's what I feared.

I knew from my days of Armored Warfare, bots aren't really good training for humans. Humans are far more unpredictable and can be more skilled as long as the bot isn't set to bounce every shot and hit every time it throws rounds at you.

I had a small chuckle about the smoke.

You should feel the computers inside an Abrams in Iraqi heat after operating 18+ hours. The engine can cook your food for you.

But if you can do it, okay. If all of you are so dead set on proving me wrong, then I'll just have to give it yet another go.

And cuss a blue streak when I make mistakes.

Question: Do you want to save up for a new desktop?

You misunderstand about the bots. 

I'm not advising you to stay out of co-op in a DD because they're bad, I'm advising it because the bots are bloodthirsty little suckers who instantly target any spotted DD with laser-like precision and accurate, and they all do it. There's nothing so terrifying as dying in seconds when you get spotted with 6 enemy bots in range. Playing a DD in high tier co-op isn't easy, it's hell. 

And I am saving for a desktop. It just takes a while.