Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

I got a Clear Sky in my Cleveland

19 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

I got a Clear Sky in my Cleveland. I just about got the CV too but a DD sniped my kill. Unfortunately, the rest of team resembled a certain tuberous garden vegetable.

shot-17.10.22_10.37.16-0688.jpg

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,953 battles
1 minute ago, sulghunter331 said:

Holy crap, I thought those didn't exist anymore.

How come? Bad CVs are very real.

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
6 minutes ago, Greenday4537 said:

I mean, you only did 41k damage so I wouldn't go completely blaming the rest of your team.

Well...

notgood.jpg

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

What surprised me was that of all the ships he could have chosen to attack, the enemy CV chose to attack the ship that had the highest AA rating on the team.

[HINON]
Privateers
6,265 posts
3,159 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

What surprised me was that of all the ships he could have chosen to attack, the enemy CV chose to attack the ship that had the highest AA rating on the team.

It happens more often then you'd expect. I can't count the number of times an enemy CV decided that my massive battleship was a prime target for a strike, without taking into account that said massive battleship is the Hood. 

Members
341 posts
1,931 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Well...

notgood.jpg

So you did an average at best amount of damage. You definitely didn't solo those kills unless it was the DDs. 

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
2 minutes ago, Greenday4537 said:

So you did an average at best amount of damage. You definitely didn't solo those kills unless it was the DDs. 

Didn't I mention that I'd killed two DDs? Maybe I was thinking it but never actually wrote it.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF3]
Members
19,318 posts
17,665 battles
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There's a good number of people like that.

"I just lost my ENTIRE BOMBER GROUP to that ship."

"Surely if I send another batch they'll succeed this time!"

Also, the requirements for Clear Sky: "In a single battle, destroy more than 50% of enemy aircraft, including floatplanes launched by cruisers and battleships. You must destroy at least 30 aircraft. Can be obtained once per battle."

Tier IV-VI are the tiers to get the badge.  The CVLs of these tiers have very low hangar capacities so a ship with good AA can rip apart those planes and get towards that "50%" or more of the enemy team aircraft.  What also helps is that at these tiers, not as many BBs, Cruiser have catapult aircraft.  In Tier VI Ranked, when I did Independence I averaged a Clear Sky badge, win or lose.

In contrast, getting Clear Sky at Tier VIII+ is an exercise in futility.  The CVs have high hangar capacity and practically everything that isn't a DD has catapult aircraft that have to be accounted for in the plane totals.  I've shot down 56 planes at Tier VIII and not get the Clear Sky badge.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
19,318 posts
17,665 battles
Just now, Reymu said:

Such dummy CVs are as rare as the T10 CV unicums.

And both surprise you when you encounter them to the point of disbelief :Smile_hiding:

Members
1,639 posts
3,603 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"omg this is bull@#$, I'm going on the forum and complaining the Cleveland is OP because as a window licking potato that just spent $60 on ship with less than 100 overall games played I should be able to sink that, hack lots of hacks, please nerf"

Members
1,639 posts
3,603 battles
10 hours ago, RivertheRoyal said:

It happens more often then you'd expect. I can't count the number of times an enemy CV decided that my massive battleship was a prime target for a strike, without taking into account that said massive battleship is the Hood. 

I run a AA build Colorado, a left over from back in the day when CVs were a normal thing. Most CV players seem to think a solo Colorado is a easy target but fail to realize a AA rating of 87 says unless your at least a T9 CV I'm shooting down all your planes for maybe a hit or two at best

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL, see my post here. I was sitting in smoke with my Leander and they just kept coming through the pass, one after the other. I'm sure each was thinking "well, the ship ahead of me was sunk but surely I'll succeed."

[INTEL]
Members
1,239 posts
10,918 battles

Some people never learn. A few days ago a Lexington player kept running single squads at my Hipper. He lost 28 planes to get a single bomb hit on me.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,318 posts
17,665 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

LOL, see my post here. I was sitting in smoke with my Leander and they just kept coming through the pass, one after the other. I'm sure each was thinking "well, the ship ahead of me was sunk but surely I'll succeed."

There's some really bad stuff out there, the only thing you can hope for is that those baddies are not on your team.

Seriously, there was a match a while back where I had to smoke camp with my Belfast but the enemy CV, a Kaga was all over me.  I feared he'd manual drop and cross drop the s--t out of my smoke, but he never did.  He just circled his planes around my smoke and I was shooting his planes down.  Then I realized, "This dude only uses Auto Drops!"  I finished with around 40 something plane kills... In a Belfast...

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You would be surprised how often this happens.

Not long ago I shot down nearly 60 aircraft in the Cleveland, which I have fully speced for AA (Rating of 84).  The opposing CV player kept sending his planes to the ships I was providing umbrella coverage for, and even tried attacking me at one point.  Was literally shaking my head while this was happening.  I couldn't believe it.

There are some very stupid carrier players out there.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,318 posts
17,665 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

"omg this is bull@#$, I'm going on the forum and complaining the Cleveland is OP because as a window licking potato that just spent $60 on ship with less than 100 overall games played I should be able to sink that, hack lots of hacks, please nerf"

I've used Kaga and have wiped the floor of Saipans.  Not in a CV Nuke, but air-to-air.  That should never happen and a Saipan should be bullying Kaga.  There's just some awful stuff out there.

Sign in to follow this