Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MassiveSalvo

I suck in the Mino

5 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
101 posts
10,742 battles

33^% WR and around 50k Damage each time. I just push through my smoke when I shouldn't...I do not provide my team the energy it requires to win. I do not know what to do with this glass ship. I was okay in the Neptune vs what it often goes up against or enough. Edinborough not very good and good in the Leander and Fiji. I'm a bad shot in the Mino and I gave it a good 30-40 games just nothing. It doesn't give me much. What am I doing wrong. I feel like it has nothing for me. How can I make my gameplay better. I try rocks and alternative ideas but it just is a great close up Cruiser/DD killer and pretty much it's not much else. At least depending on the radar situation. If it is against it, it's pretty poor. 

[TOG]
Members
3,417 posts
17,854 battles

Eh, let's go through the basics:

Pros:

• Unrivaled rate of fire amongst Tier X cruisers.
  • Exceptionally low detection radius.
  • Incredibly fast turret traverse.
  • Very powerful anti-aircraft suite; if kitted out for anti-aircraft duties, she has the largest AA bubble of any cruiser to go with potent damage output from her AA guns.
  • Jack of all trades; can shred destroyers, deal with her cruiser peers, give battleships something to fret about, and be another detriment to carriers.
  • Highest torpedo range and best torpedo reload of all Tier X cruisers.
  • Has access to an enhanced version of Repair Party that allows her to regenerate large amounts health.

Cons:

• Initial shell velocity is the same as Neptune; however, at maximum range, her shells fall back to earth slowly.
  • Lightly-armored turrets that are disabled easily (if not outright destroyed).
  • Cannot equip the Defensive AA Fire consumable to increase the anti-aircraft suite's potency even further.
  • As with the rest of the British cruiser line, her reliance on armor piercing shells is at times frustrating, as they will either bounce or deal consistently low damage.
  • Torpedo tubes are somewhat exposed, and are disabled frequently when under fire.
  • Very weak armor; she can bounce 152mm rounds at certain angles, but will be easily penetrated by shells larger than that.
  • Cannot equip smoke and radar simultaneously; captains must choose their role before going into battle.

The question is going to be whether to go for smoke or radar. Smoke was a no brainer before the the gun bloom and smoke nerf. it still is a decent option imo. You'll have to be more aware of the threats than before though. My playstyle involves becoming a light machine gun/mortar position. That means setting up in areas on the maps that have:

1, Good fields of fire

2. Good cover and concealment. That means behind or close to an island I can duck into when shells/torps come calling.

3. Which way are you going to go if you have to vacate the area?

You also have to be aware of what radar ships are in the vicinity.

So, if you know what to do it boils down into these steps:

1. Pick a spot to set up.

2. Get there ahead of the red tm before you spotted. It does mean you'll be in the second line. Don't go ahead of the dd if your supporting it.

3. Once you target a ship, turn on the smoke and go 1/4 speed and then reverse when the smoke stops.

4. Turn on the hydro.

5. Let the target taste the rainbow.

I recommend moving forwards and backwards while in the smoke to prevent someone for shelling you by noting where your shells are coming from. Your visibility range while firing inside is 5.4 km. Be also aware you're now a torp magnet.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,895 posts
8,777 battles

Be more Patient in your attack,

use islands when using RADAR

this ship is not a CAP of the BAT ship, so lay off.

keep next to a BB and pretend your job is to keep it alive

[SYN]
Members
15,289 posts
11,987 battles

I have a few videos of me in minotaur on my youtube channel.

The key is to setup in a good, aggressive, location that won't get you radar'd or torp'd, but also one where you will have a nice stream of red ships to shoot at.

Beta Testers
1,488 posts

In all honesty I preferred the Neptune over the Mino. The Neptune's AA is absolutely brutal.. the Mino may have longer range but its weak damage wise compared to Neptune. With Neptune full AA I could easily wipe out almost the entire tier 10 CV squadrons passing over me (5+) whereas Mino just hurts them.

Damage vs ships wise, yes the Mino has better damage due to the ROF and turret speed... but I don't know... the Neptune somehow was better at torpedo attacks than the Mino is..for me at least.

That being said, the Mino is fun ... but don't expect to do much damage total with it. Your effect on the battlefield though is very noticeable.

I have my mino set for range rather than refire rate.. I'd rather rain pain from 18km than fire faster at closer range where I die quickly anyway. ROF is already fast enough anyways. I can't count the times entire BB groups that were pushing turned back or scattered to avoid my rain of shells..even though I was not doing much damage to them. The constant hits make people turn..and expose their sides to friendly ships.

Your problem of sailing out of smoke is solved by using the tier 2 capt skill that expands the smoke screen and the ship upgrade that extends the smoke screen lay duration.

Sign in to follow this