You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NAGY73

Recommended ship(s) with strong Anti-Aircraft?

18 comments in this topic

[HIT]
Members
13 posts
19,742 battles

Hello Captains,

I'm looking for a good AA ship, that can achieve clear sky. Any ideas? 

thx

[SCCC]
Members
708 posts
6,079 battles

CVs specifically AS build CVs.

Edited by smf117
  • Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
5,010 posts
11,252 battles

I have only gotten Clear Sky once...and it was with T5 CV Zuiho.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[SPTR]
Members
26,531 posts
12,323 battles

High tier USN CAs and BBs if not CVs.

I've only gotten 1 Clear Skies so far and it was in my AA specced North Carolina chasing the CV down who was the last one alive on their team, this CV threw everything at me to kill me which failed as my AA when full on "All you can eat buffet" at the hordes of attacking aircraft.

Edited by Rolkatsuki

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

High tier USN BBs just look at carrier planes and laugh. In fact why carriers are considered op beats me?

[MIA-P]
Members
661 posts
6,294 battles

The problem with achieving clear skies in a surface ship is that any half-decent CV player knows which ships have good AA and will avoid them. Even if they don't know before the battle, they definitely will after you destroy their first wave. Many good AA ships have a huge impact on the enemy CV without ever getting any plane kills, purely by acting as a deterrent and denying certain areas of the map to their planes.

That all said, the ships with the best AA in my opinion are the Neptune and Minotaur, because their AA range is longer than their air detection range, allowing them to shoot down planes without the CV knowing which direction he needs to fly in to get out of the AA bubble. Other good AA ships include the Texas, Cleveland, Atlanta, North Carolina, Hood (kinda), Kutuzov, Iowa, Missouri, Montana and de Moines.

If you really want Clear Skies medals, then the best strategy is to get an AS-loadout (air superiority) Ryujo. Getting clear skies at higher tiers is difficult because the number of reserve planes on the field increases dramatically, and getting it at lower tiers is difficult because you can't strafe. The best way I've found to get clear skies is actually ranked battles; I think I farmed more than 30 clear skies medals in the last season.

Of course, this requires a fair bit of experience in CVs to pull off reliably.  If you don't like playing CVs, then maybe you'll find using a USN AS loadout to be more forgiving. Go for the Bogue or Independence.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,051 posts
19,462 battles
50 minutes ago, smf117 said:

CVs specifically AS build CVs.

46 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I have only gotten Clear Sky once...and it was with T5 CV Zuiho.  :Smile_teethhappy:

My first Clear Sky was in a Bogue...

STRIKE Bogue,,,

That means TAIL GUNNERS and FLAK/AA only as the killers.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles

Tier V-VI CV.

In those tiers:

Your opposing CV has very little hangar capacity, so working towards the 50% of all enemy planes is much more easy.  Once you get to Tier VII+, hangar capacity becomes very large and you need to shoot down a TON of planes for Clear Sky.

Secondly, in the Tier V-VI range, few ships have catapult aircraft.  Those types of planes count towards the kill totals for Clear Sky.

So, because CVs of these tiers have such small capacity and the number of catapult aircraft launching ships are fewer, it's far more easy to get Clear Sky with a Tier V-VI CV.

Caveat:  Saipan at Tier VII is a good candidate.

Why are regular surface ships such a poor choice for explicitly going for Clear Sky?  They cannot control what's going on with the planes.  You can have an AA Build Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.  But the enemy CV can see you and keep away from you.  You did your job in protecting the team but that does not necessarily mean you are bagging a bunch of plane kills.  A CV, OTOH, can launch fighters and seek air-to-air combat to force the issue.

I'm not saying getting Clear Sky in a surface fighting ship like a Cruiser, BB is impossible, I'm saying the chances are too rare.  For even an Atlanta to get Clear Sky, it requires an absolutely dumb CV to keep sending planes over and over and over to you to shoot down.  Even most Potato CV drivers aren't THAT dumb.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can have an AA Build Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.  But the enemy CV can see you and keep away from you. 

They need a new Shapeshifter camo. Makes your ship look like something else (of the same tier and class) until the enemy gets within 6k (4k for aircraft). Has no effect on concealment or dispersion. Once ID'D your true class is known for the rest of the game. :Smile_teethhappy:

I generally have found the best way to not see a carrier in a match is to bring an AA specced Cleveland (unless you division with a CV)

• Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Get clear sky with a cruiser is really hard for two reasons:

1- you need a CV in your battle.

2- you need a dumb CV to keep striking a cruiser with good AA. 

Anyway, Cleveland is one of the best AA cruisers in the game. The us cruiser line in general has good AA. And all the lines get good AA in high tiers if you spec them for AA, at least good for self defense. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, Sabot_100 said:

I generally have found the best way to not see a carrier in a match is to bring an AA specced Cleveland (unless you division with a CV)

Is there any other kind of Cleveland? That also applies to Atlanta, Neptune, and Des Moines. I log on with those and rarely see a CV.

If you wanna make CV drivers cry, spec a Neptune with AA guns Mod 2. You'll have a AA bubble of 8.6 km and your detectability range by A/C is 7.2km. Planes will fly into your no fly zone before they detect the ship. :etc_red_button::cap_rambo::fish_boom::etc_swear:

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles
15 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

Is there any other kind of Cleveland?

Well, yes. I abandoned taking the  mods and skills that just benefit the AA as I so rarely see CVs, and if I do, their planes stay far away (the other red ships seem to deem me a priority target however as soon as I am spotted). Sometimes even swap out DF for hydro. Such things are great to have when a CV finally messes up or tries to challenge you, but these instances are quite rare.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
284 posts
11,788 battles
On 22/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, NAGY73 said:

Hello Captains,

I'm looking for a good AA ship, that can achieve clear sky. Any ideas? 

thx

Cleveland with AA build..so you could most likely meet with "not so good/amateur" cv captain in mid tier matches.aka increasing your chance to shoot down more planes.

While in high tier match,you will most likely dealing with "who know what they are doing/high capabilities" cv captains.decreasing your chance to shoot down planes.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Got my Clear skies in a Texas against 2 Hoshos. Those guys attacked me at least 4-5 times and attacked teammates within my AA envolope several times.

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

Effectly, as @senseNOTmade pointed out above, is that CV players in Random aren't stupid anymore.  If you've got a hard-core AA ship, they'll avoid you like the plague.  That even includes ships not "normally' known for their AA (the Hipper being a big surprise to many).  Sure, they might send a full wave over you, but the instant they see you decimate them, you'll not get another plane anywhere near you the rest of the match.

Unless you're in a CV, the only real way to get a Clear Sky is to fight a newbie (or maybe a Bot) CV player.  My guess is your best bet is then at low tiers, and I'd go with T5 as the Kirov, which has a very large AA suite (weirdly enough); alternately the T6 Nurnberg with DAA can sneak up on a lot of CV players not paying attention - the key here with the Nurn is that you don't kill SOOO many as to have the CV player go wth? - rather, if you can be near other ships, the CV player probably won't figure out it's your Nurn doing all the damage. Then find a BB that looks like a juicy target for the enemy CV, and hug that BB.

Alternately, and I doubt this will work, but you could try a BB with good AA:  the T5 premium Texas is a nasty surprise to a lot of newbie CVs who don't expect BBs to have any notable AA. The T6 Bayern and T7 Gniesenau also have very heavy AA for their tiers, especially when speced with BFT/AFT.

But, if you're really looking to play something that can get your one of the Tasks in the various Campaigns, you have to play CVs. Clear Skies in non-CVs now are extremely rare. Particularly at upper tiers, where CV players not only know which ships have powerful AA, but who also spread out their attacks across various ships, meaning that many different ships will have a handful of plane scores, making you getting 50% nigh-on impossible.  And remember, that floatplanes add to the total -  I recently fought a T7 Hiryu in my T8 Hipper, and he had a hard-on for me (dumb of him).  I massacred flight after flight of his planes, ending up shooting down 42 total out of his 72 planes.  But did I get a Clear Sky?  Nope.  That's because the match was a long one, and there were lots of float planes from the BBs and CAs.  Bringing the plane total to about 90.  So, in an AA monster game in a one of the best anti-AA ships around, I still couldn't muster more than 45% of all planes.

Clear skies is effectively a CV-only achievement.

Edited by EAnybody
  • Cool 1