You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Why Buy a Tier 5 BB?

66 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,090 battles

Played 7 games tonight, all T6 and T5, was bottom tier in 6. So why buy a very nice T5 BB with this very crappy MM. Uptiering is ok...uptiering EVERY game is not. Add to that absolute crap teams and it's not an investment worth making. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my money. Fix this crap WG.

• Cool 1

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,951 posts
4,461 battles
Spoiler

Because......

8MnHqs4.jpg

Enough Said

Edited by Goose21891
  • Cool 2

[YARRR]
Members
625 posts
4,914 battles

I still enjoy playing my Texas, and was thinking hard about picking up the G.C., but I'm not sure about how good it actually is in my hands, and not sure I want to pay real money for another T5 premium just to find out.

The increased speed would be nice, but is it enough to offset Texas' stouter armor scheme and far far better anti aircraft capability?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

The tier 5 and 6 MM is why I've pretty much stopped playing those tiers in random battles altogether. Its just not worth the frustration of almost always facing tier 8 ships. Sure, most of my tier 6 BBs like the Arizona can handle being uptiered, but it gets extremely tiring and frustrating and annoying when 8 out of 10 battles played I have Bismarcks, North Carolinas, Amagis, and other assorted heavy hitting tier 8 BBs and cruisers slamming me and out ranging me.

In fact, I've all but stopped playing random battles since the operations came out. They're WAY more entertain and fun and a lot of the times, just as rewarding. I just wish WG allowed more tiers into operations so my other ships wouldn't be rusting away in port...

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
45 minutes ago, zuga_01 said:

Try playing a tier 5 cruiser. 

Thank you.  I can't feel sorry for Tier V BBs or DDs when CLs are so often abused in that neigborhood.

Especially the Marblehead.  My god that ship has gotten really effing hard to play now...

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,851 battles

One day, when a cow actually jumps over the Moon, only, then, will we see a decent MM.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,298 posts
12,407 battles

I only play Kamikaze/Gremyaschy at tier 5 anymore - they uptier well and are always able to contribute.  I had about 120 games in my Texas, haven't played it in 6 months now.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,035 posts
8,371 battles

Use your time learning to play better, instead of running here and whining you butt off after every single match. Those teams you're blaming for all your losses have one thing in common: You're on them.

Get better. Learn the ships. Learn the mechanics. Learn how each ship is, how it performs both good and bad, and learn to be a better team player. Those teams you blame every single thread will thank you for not dragging them down as much as you used to.

• Cool 2

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,227 battles

When I play in the Texas or Oct. Revolution at bottom tier, I find it hard to contribute to my team due to the slow speeds and sluggish handling. With the Cesare, the concealment, size, speed, and really, REALLY good maneuverability for a BB means that you can hold up on my own at bottom tier. Sure, you don't have much health, but it is a tradeoff I'm happy to make for the GC's other strengths. I'm actually pretty satisfied with this ship a lot. 

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,480 posts
8,156 battles

It is a good thing T5 premiums uptier just fine, conveniently. Almost as if it was preordained by some great power.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,627 posts
14,838 battles

I play T5 because it is fun. Uptiering isn't that bad. Both sides have a similar/same balance. It really is how you handle your uptiered ship and mesh with the team. I still see too many lone wolves at that tier and those teams have the hardest time winning.

• Cool 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I agree, OP. It's a well known issue. I'm not sure why you're encountering such resistance here. I suppose the people who claim you're salty are salty themselves.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles

I haven't played my Texas in forever.  Keeping it in my back pocket in case CVs ever get reworked and become more common.

I've been wearing out my new GC though.  Love it!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,388 posts
10,928 battles
37 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I play T5 because it is fun. Uptiering isn't that bad. Both sides have a similar/same balance. It really is how you handle your uptiered ship and mesh with the team. I still see too many lone wolves at that tier and those teams have the hardest time winning.

This, there are some tier 5's that struggle when uptiered but most do fine.

[MKF]
Members
450 posts
16,465 battles
23 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I haven't played my Texas in forever.  Keeping it in my back pocket in case CVs ever get reworked and become more common.

I've been wearing out my new GC though.  Love it!

Enjoying the heck out of GC. Been up tiered in most of those games but it seems to handle it well. Glad I bought that ship.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, ElAurens said:

I still enjoy playing my Texas, and was thinking hard about picking up the G.C., but I'm not sure about how good it actually is in my hands, and not sure I want to pay real money for another T5 premium just to find out.

The increased speed would be nice, but is it enough to offset Texas' stouter armor scheme and far far better anti aircraft capability?

My advice; Save yer $$$. GC's a decent ship but by no shakes a great one. I picked her up just for the hell of it and while she's fun in Co-Op, I don't think I'll ever play her in Randoms. IMHO, she wouldn't stand a chance against Tier 7s.

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,079 battles

I could support protected MM for T5. Here are the basic options WG can choose from.

1. +/-1 for T5 just like T3 and T4
  2. Give T5 special rules so it sees T7 less often or sees fewer T7s per team
  3. Buff T5 ships
  4. Nerf T7 ships

Those are really the only options. Opening up T3 won't solve the problem. The population is too small and nobody stays at T3.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,196 battles

There probably is no good reason to buy any premium ship that is not tier 8+. Two of the three campaigns require tier 8 or better ships to play so you are immediately excluded from some of the most worthwhile reward grinds. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles
7 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

Try playing a tier 5 cruiser. 

Emerald is an experience that all players should go through and have an appreciation for.

4 hours ago, awildseaking said:

I could support protected MM for T5. Here are the basic options WG can choose from.

1. +/-1 for T5 just like T3 and T4
  2. Give T5 special rules so it sees T7 less often or sees fewer T7s per team
  3. Buff T5 ships
  4. Nerf T7 ships

Those are really the only options. Opening up T3 won't solve the problem. The population is too small and nobody stays at T3.

I say we go back to the MM we had before.

+/-2 tier MM range, no coddling of any tiers.

The only tier where anyone can ever say will never be bottom tier would be Tier X.  Not the current thing we have now.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

There probably is no good reason to buy any premium ship that is not tier 8+. 

The exception being if you want a premium to play Ranked games. For instance, I didn't buy my Arizona (having won it in a crate) but I can see why someone might want to purchase it for use in a tier VI Ranked season.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1