You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Simzee

Sims

33 comments in this topic

[GOFU]
Members
893 posts
9,274 battles

Bought it back as it was a favorite from long ago, if the USS Kidd comes out in its current config it could be my Sims replacement.

I took this ship from a lowly 46% WR to where it is now (nothing fantastic mind you).

1 close game out of my recent 3, barely get do do any damage.

I use these sea mines to area deny with the 65 sec reload.

The 36k damage one was the only quality game of the 3 (Fiji caught me out and took 16k off me in 2 salvos-SE kept me in the game), the other 2 were steamrolls.

shot-17.10.15_19.19.43-0002.jpg

shot-17.10.21_09.56.25-0094.jpg

shot-17.10.22_11.01.21-0644.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
566 posts
2,000 battles

13 minutes ago, murryhawk said:

Bought it back as it was a favorite from long ago, if the USS Kidd comes out in its current config it could be my Sims replacement.

I took this ship from a lowly 46% WR to where it is now (nothing fantastic mind you).

The 36k damage one was the only quality game of the 3 (Fiji caught me out and took 16k off me in 2 salvos-SE kept me in the game), the other 2 were steamrolls.

I like the Sims too, I am not comfortable playing at tier VII, so she stays in port mostly. Good luck with your future battles Sir.

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
11,458 battles
On 10/21/2017 at 8:13 PM, murryhawk said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sims.  it seems like I can't ever go out and have a bad game in her at all.   Anxiously awaiting Kidd as well, but as a co-worker alongside sims.  

[GOFU]
Members
893 posts
9,274 battles

No matter the map or tier played I never feel this ship can’t contribute. The rudder shift and guns are fine as is so I can explore captain builds if I choose . Planes want to spot me that’s fine I’ll always be able to knock out a few.

Sure I get outspotted by tier 8/9 etc but I just like playing fast, responsive ships.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
968 posts
8,432 battles
20 hours ago, murryhawk said:

No matter the map or tier played I never feel this ship can’t contribute. The rudder shift and guns are fine as is so I can explore captain builds if I choose . Planes want to spot me that’s fine I’ll always be able to knock out a few.

Sure I get outspotted by tier 8/9 etc but I just like playing fast, responsive ships.

The rudder shift is one of the best (if not THE) best in the game. The guns are great for a highly agile knife fighter. AR and/or DE help her damage output a lot. She's much more Daka-Daka but slap a flooding chance flag on their and let the DOT damage start adding up. You don't need to land full torp salvos just 1 torp and a flood. This ship is all about spreading DOT damage (fire and flooding) everywhere. Her Defensive Fire is pretty potent and can wipe out squads unless you're very bottom tier.  She can contribute quite a bit. 

Edited by Vekta408

[NGAGE]
Members
3,106 posts
8,094 battles

I've been thinking about getting the Sims.

I've loved pretty much the entire USN dd line. Kept the Fletcher and play both it and the Gearing fairly regularly and have a blast. Not sure their captains would be as good for it though I guess it'd work out ok.

[Q_O]
[Q_O]
Members
80 posts
14,125 battles

Sims, to me, has a niche place in US DD line. She has the shortest turning circle of all DDs in game and can go 40 knots with Sierra mike flag. However, she suffers from the somewhat inferior detection range. She has potent 4 Fletcher guns and has access to DFAA, and yet her damage potential is mitigated by the poor torpedo speed and damage. 

Surprisingly, these pros and cons combined allow me to put any captain on her and work well. I can put my fletcher captain on her and knife fight other dds and contest caps. I can put my Gearing captain with torpedo acceleration and TAE on her to make her a somewhat torpedo ship. Sims is just a blast to play and offers lots of versatility. 

I have some of the greatest games with her. 

Members
863 posts
8,112 battles

The best thing about the Sims is that it's almost impossible to have a bad game in it.  It has a built in base XP multiplier that no other ship in the game seems to have, so even when you have a crap round, you come out on top.  It saved my bacon during the Tier 7 ranked season!  You couldn't lose a star in that thing.  It's a major keeper for me.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,847 posts
5,245 battles
14 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

The best thing about the Sims is that it's almost impossible to have a bad game in it.  It has a built in base XP multiplier that no other ship in the game seems to have, so even when you have a crap round, you come out on top.  It saved my bacon during the Tier 7 ranked season!  You couldn't lose a star in that thing.  It's a major keeper for me.

Pretty much this.  Anytime I find a mission that requires a base XP earn or XP grind in general the Sims is my go to.  Even on lackluster games where I didn't feel i did a lot to contribute the XP gains are impressive. 

for instance this one.  82k damage (most of it an enemy carrier.  A few caps and a win by points.  9,859 Ship XP with 1,972 Free XP

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
11,458 battles
4 hours ago, vonKaiser said:

Pretty much this.  Anytime I find a mission that requires a base XP earn or XP grind in general the Sims is my go to.  Even on lackluster games where I didn't feel i did a lot to contribute the XP gains are impressive. 

for instance this one.  82k damage (most of it an enemy carrier.  A few caps and a win by points.  9,859 Ship XP with 1,972 Free XP

Especially the most recent one with the 1600xp for the OkRev.  That was a one game effort in sims, and the game was about as average a performance as I can think of... still 1689xp on the first try.   no brainer XP mining boat.  I would FOR SURE use sims to level up my captains, except, I have level 19's so why play anything lesser?  lol.   

Sims also holds my own personal record elite captain xp for a single match at 43k after all the flags on a simply marvelous game.  

So FUN FUN FUN.  

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
On 22/10/2017 at 2:13 AM, murryhawk said:

Great games @murryhawk! Congrats and many thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
11,458 battles

After a few dozen games in Kidd, it is certainly fun in its own right.  Still can't beat how nimble the Sims is though.  I dodge SO MUCH incoming fire with sims just because of that.  Kidd is definitely not a replacement, but a perfect compliment.    Fletcher captain works perfectly in both boats.  

WG...   I want to play my Nicholas, but without dedicating a captain.  Please give us a T5 premium USN DD now! :) 

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I would kill if they gave her Mahan torp options. Especially when you see her 5.5 torps and Mahan’s 9.2 torps are both labeled my 15 mod 0!

Edited by SavageTactical

[GLF]
Members
844 posts
11,458 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

I would kill if they gave her Mahan torp options. Especially when you see her 5.5 torps and Mahan’s 9.2 torps are both labeled my 15 mod 0!

I swear, i can't seem to miss with Sims 9km torps.  First game in a week yesterday in Sims... 7 torp hits, and two flood outs.  I can almost directly attribute these hits to the slow speed of these torpedoes.  With normal speed torps i would almost certainly miss my shots.  its really making me rethink my aiming of normal torpedo strikes, like maybe I should be aiming way behind.  

[USCG]
Members
98 posts
6,384 battles
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, AnimaL21 said:

After a few dozen games in Kidd, it is certainly fun in its own right.  Still can't beat how nimble the Sims is though.  I dodge SO MUCH incoming fire with sims just because of that.  Kidd is definitely not a replacement, but a perfect compliment.    Fletcher captain works perfectly in both boats.  

WG...   I want to play my Nicholas, but without dedicating a captain.  Please give us a T5 premium USN DD now! :) 

I really enjoy the Sims for its nimbleness.  It's fun to swing the stern out as shells come my way.  Occasionally a shell will hit it's mark, but most land on either side of the stern.

[KILL]
Members
49 posts
8,355 battles

I like my Sims too.  I jumped into DDs with my Sims (played co-op for a while first); so I had to grind my captain up from scratch.  It turns out that I really like US DD style play; in fact I barely play anything else.  Here is my first youtube replay.  Here you'll see a Tier IX radar laden match (hint we won but it was ugly, at one point we were down 400pts).

[GOFU]
Members
893 posts
9,274 battles
8 hours ago, PigBot50 said:

I like my Sims too.  I jumped into DDs with my Sims (played co-op for a while first); so I had to grind my captain up from scratch.  It turns out that I really like US DD style play; in fact I barely play anything else.  Here is my first youtube replay.  Here you'll see a Tier IX radar laden match (hint we won but it was ugly, at one point we were down 400pts).

Very nice game and highlights what the Sims does to a T

[KILL]
Members
49 posts
8,355 battles

Thanks Murray, I used to be super intimidated in Tier IX matches but I'm more comfortable now.  If I dial back my offense and think "self preservation" for a bit early in the match it's perfectly do-able.

Pig

[E-WAR]
Members
21 posts
3,330 battles

What IRL ship is Sims anyway?  It appears to be a Mahan class DD but the one I found with a (very cursory, I'll admit) duckduckgo search was a DE.  I got excited for a second, thinking WG was going to bring in more DE/FF into the DD lines and change up the flavor a bit.  Once I realized it wasn't that, I was disappointed and confused.  So, anyone know about the Simsy?

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,847 posts
5,245 battles
15 hours ago, badperson said:

What IRL ship is Sims anyway?  It appears to be a Mahan class DD but the one I found with a (very cursory, I'll admit) duckduckgo search was a DE.  I got excited for a second, thinking WG was going to bring in more DE/FF into the DD lines and change up the flavor a bit.  Once I realized it wasn't that, I was disappointed and confused.  So, anyone know about the Simsy?

Sims was the Sims, made up one of the 12 ships in the Sims class destroyers. 

http://destroyerhistory.org/goldplater/simsclass/

https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=328

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,290 posts
11,987 battles

Sims was a further development from Mahan. It's primary difference was the engine power output and newer turrets than what was used in Mahan.

Sims originally had the same weapon layout as Mahan, 5 guns and delta torpedo mount layout, but, combined with the newer turrets, Sims turned out to be too top heavy. The quick fix was changing the layout to what you see with WoWs Sims.

• Cool 1