Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AirshipCanon

Why is team damage off in scenarios, but not randoms?

15 comments in this topic

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

Just ate 4 torps in Saving Translyvania. Nothing happened.

So why is it that, Team Damage is off, completely off, in Scenarios? But it's not in Randoms. What makes them different?

Scenarios aren't just a training mode.

Here's an invalid reply: "A TK in a scenario can make you lose immediately and takes the fun out of the game".
Why is that invalid? Applies to randoms too.

[DESS]
Beta Testers
173 posts
7,269 battles
4 minutes ago, AirshipCanon said:

Just ate 4 torps in Saving Translyvania. Nothing happened.

So why is it that, Team Damage is off, completely off, in Scenarios? But it's not in Randoms. What makes them different?

Scenarios aren't just a training mode.

Here's an invalid reply: "A TK in a scenario can make you lose immediately and takes the fun out of the game".
Why is that invalid? Applies to randoms too.

Because that would make too much sense. It makes more sense that a friendly can kill you simply because you annoyed him, he didn't aim his torpedoes correctly, or that he decides to match your speed while sitting next to you while spamming HE and blaming you for blocking his shots.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

I like team damage in randoms. It raises the stakes adding another layer to the game. I don't really give a crapabout Scenarios or Co-Op. 

[CUTER]
Members
3,857 posts
17,865 battles

Because in scenarios you have ships spawning everywhere which makes it a perfect environment to eat friendly torps. I ate friendly torps in Transilvania 2 games in a row while not getting ally torped in randoms for close to 2 months now.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Scenarios tend to be more of shooting gallery with targets spawning everywhere from multiple directions all match long, that's why.  Especially the Halloween events where fights are often at in-your-face ranges, and activity and noise is constant.  A recipe for total team self-destruction if team damage was applied.

Thing is, because there is no team damage, nobody seems to be paying any attention to they are doing when it comes to respecting teammates.  Except for possibly losing the match, there are no consequences for playing like an idiot.  Besides, the game just feels "fake" with kiddie-bullets that hurts the bad guys but are harmless to teammates.

This game already appeals enough to the lowest common denominator.  Considering the way they're structured I'm fine with no team damage in scenarios, but will always say absolutely "NO" to turning off team damage in Randoms.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,421 posts
5,268 battles

Because the opportunity to surmount the learning curve in scenario play is a lot shorter (each scenario rotates in and out), and because targets come from all sides in Saving Transylvania.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,984 posts
9,298 battles
7 minutes ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Can we please not reduce the cognitive ability barrier any lower? Besides, if this happened, then yolo DD's would be dropping torps like confetti.

They aren't already? As it is everyday I either eat team torps, or get killed trying NOT to get killed by team torps. At this point, least the matches I play, there are already too many lacking the cognitive ability in DD's AND cruisers who shoot from the second or third line, where in maneuvering I end up in the path because the warning doesn't happen till a certain range, they hit me because they aim at a target I'm engaged with, or, I pick it up, but am now forced to sail straight till they pass meaning I may be stuck broadside to a BB or to another ship/planes with torps that now have an easy kill because I have no direction to dodge without getting hit. More a matter do I die to team damage, or die to the enemy. I think after 2 years, we have established these people just will not learn. They will still just go "derp derp, 20 km torpedoes means fire from max range on widest spread with 5 teammates in the path". I've had people kill me/near kill me with only a range of 5.5 km.

Your not going to fix the wiring in these peoples heads, penalties do nothing, the only one truly penalized is the guy getting hit by torps. Hell, even I'm not perfect, dropped them on an enemy with planes not expecting to see that 2 ships that had been on the other side of the island turned in to go around and come back to hit the guy I launched torps at (and who was almost dead by the time my TB's got there) and unfortunately there ship was fast enough and my torps had enough range the one ship got hit. He got pretty well wrecked, the penalty sucked, not that hard, more my pride in that I screwed up and hit him. The rest of these people lack that. Better to turn off friendly torp damage (and only torp damage) because they are just as careless anyway, strange things happen (like those guys choosing to turn back to go after my target which made no sense), and all the rest of it, not to mention the massive damage they do. Also makes it that the TK'ers are more obvious as they likely have to fire several rounds at a teammate not just go "uh, I accidentally launched cause my broken mouse" or the like. Make them work harder for the kills that get them banned.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
4 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

They aren't already? As it is everyday I either eat team torps, or get killed trying NOT to get killed by team torps. At this point, least the matches I play, there are already too many lacking the cognitive ability in DD's AND cruisers who shoot from the second or third line, where in maneuvering I end up in the path because the warning doesn't happen till a certain range, they hit me because they aim at a target I'm engaged with, or, I pick it up, but am now forced to sail straight till they pass meaning I may be stuck broadside to a BB or to another ship/planes with torps that now have an easy kill because I have no direction to dodge without getting hit. More a matter do I die to team damage, or die to the enemy. I think after 2 years, we have established these people just will not learn. They will still just go "derp derp, 20 km torpedoes means fire from max range on widest spread with 5 teammates in the path". I've had people kill me/near kill me with only a range of 5.5 km.

Your not going to fix the wiring in these peoples heads, penalties do nothing, the only one truly penalized is the guy getting hit by torps. Hell, even I'm not perfect, dropped them on an enemy with planes not expecting to see that 2 ships that had been on the other side of the island turned in to go around and come back to hit the guy I launched torps at (and who was almost dead by the time my TB's got there) and unfortunately there ship was fast enough and my torps had enough range the one ship got hit. He got pretty well wrecked, the penalty sucked, not that hard, more my pride in that I screwed up and hit him. The rest of these people lack that. Better to turn off friendly torp damage (and only torp damage) because they are just as careless anyway, strange things happen (like those guys choosing to turn back to go after my target which made no sense), and all the rest of it, not to mention the massive damage they do. Also makes it that the TK'ers are more obvious as they likely have to fire several rounds at a teammate not just go "uh, I accidentally launched cause my broken mouse" or the like. Make them work harder for the kills that get them banned.

Every day?  Very unconvincing.  An excessive claim at the start to reinforce a wordy argument that follows.

I'd rather deal with the inevitable derp once every few days or weeks, than fundamentally change the way the game is played by dumbing it down further for everyone every time they play.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,592 posts

I gotta say, when I started playing the only thing that stopped me from pew pewing and look at my mini map and around in general was team damage. 

Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

Because if you have played the operation you can tell how incredibly different it is from randoms.  In the operation the players MUST spam as often as they can across the entire map to even remotely have a chance to finish.  This is obviously not needed for Random..

Edited by CylonRed

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,380 posts
12,735 battles
2 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I like team damage in randoms. It raises the stakes adding another layer to the game. I don't really give a crapabout Scenarios or Co-Op. 

This.  People should watch where they shoot, not spam mindlessly because there is no penalty.

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles
10 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I can't remember the last time I got torped in pubs/randoms. I did get hit with torps quite a bit in this months scenario.

Despite your claim, folks generally hold their torps in pubs, and are more careful. This months operation is an example of what would happen if team damage was off - mayhem.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

I've played games with no team damage. It really takes you out of the realism of a game when you can fire artillery into a mass of fighting units and have the exploding shells damage only the enemy.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Idk. I like the idea of friendly fire because it forces people to be more thoughtful.

Sign in to follow this