Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sasha_Foxxx

1st Captain's skills

17 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
148 battles

Okay, I'm up to having commanders for my ships. What skills are usually best to start with? I've seen some advice in the forums but it is a bit old. Has anything changed much as the game develops?

I'm working up the German and American cruiser lines. It seem to me that endurances skills are a good start. After all, what good is my ship if it sinks? :Smile_glasses: Are any better to start with than others? Are there any to simply avoid because they do not end up being very useful.

Thanks in advance guys! 

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,436 posts
20,958 battles

When I had 36 battles I didn't even know what commanders skills was at the time ........ 

[SF-A]
Members
3,011 posts
6,368 battles

For most things, Priority Target helps me a lot. It's a good trainer for improving situational awareness. Concealment Expert is important with more points. Carriers have different skills altogether.

This site has good builds.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,776 posts
4,413 battles

Priority Target is good for knowing when people are aiming at you.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

It depends on the ship/nation.

First tier skill: I like Preventative Maintenance for most of my ships (except CVs) though sometimes I like Priority Target for a first skill.

Second tier skill: DD- Last Stand BB- Superintended 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,763 posts
8,748 battles

if its German BBs,  go for a brawler(secondary) build the German BBs are the best brawlers in the game, USN BBs and cruisers, you'll wanna go AA build because they can shred planes, but in the current meta where CVs are somewhat rare it may not be needed, but i go AA build on them anyway, IJN cruisers are your fire spitters, as are the French cruisers

Members
38 posts
148 battles
21 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Depends on the Nation and ship class

Right now I have the St. Louis and the Kolberg. Based on earlier advice on starting out, I think I'll stick to these lines for a while,

[SFBG]
[SFBG]
Members
1,598 posts
8,328 battles

Priority Target is a good skill all around. If you are detected and no one is locked on to you you don't have to react quickly.. As the number goes up, the more critical it is to evade.

I like to that Last Stand on the next level, especially for German Cruisers. They seem to get the engines and rudder knocked out often.

From there you might consider Expert Marksman.  If the boat can turn faster than the guns, this one is good to have.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

Priority target & preventative maintenance are the two you should look at (so long as you're not a CV). If you're a DD, go for preventative maintenance. Anything else - priority target is a better place to start. Knowing how many people are targeting you is a great piece of information to have. Both of these skills are quite good and all-around, so coming back for one or the other to finish a build is not a bad idea at all. It all really boils down to the ship and what strengths that ship has.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
178 posts
1,741 battles

Well for the German line I would recommend.

PT/EM/DE/CE

Then pick up AR

[NSEW]
Members
1,031 posts

First Captain Skill I have on all ships. Regardless of type (I don't use Carriers).

Priority Target (PT).

Regardless of the ships handicap or to maximise it. I always have it. Why? The knowledge that you're being under real threat is a difference between a citadel hit/kill. Versus, modules being knocked out. 

I would strongly advise this skill across the board. Even if your ship tends to get modules knocked out quite often. As you progress, and reached the 10 points to cover the basics for the ship. You can select that skillset (Preventative Maintenance)  to disallow for modules being disabled.

my 2 cents.

Edited by LowSpeed_US
  • Cool 1

[B2P]
Beta Testers
145 posts
8,225 battles

Priority Target is the recommended 1st skill when taking out a cruiser. You don't want to be caught with your pants down when getting focused fired.

2nd skill is Adrenaline Rush. It's a very powerful skill that reduces the reload time for your guns for every x amount of damage you take. The less reload time, the more Damage per Minute you can dish out. It also stacks with the reload times for torpedo launchers and also preparation time for aircraft on CVs. 

Also consider Expert Marksman if the turret traverse is more than 30 seconds, which is common with the IJN cruiser line. If less than 30 seconds, you can do without it.

3rd skill is Demolition Expert, it adds a +2% to your fire chance...ideal for most cruisers. The only cruisers that don't require this is the British line, since they only carry AP rounds.

4th skill is Concealment Expert to reduce your detection, since many cruisers are squishy and can't take hits like a battleship. Some cruisers have very low concealment ranges, so take advantage of them to go DARK when needed to reposition yourself on the map, or escape being focus fired on. Just don't fire your guns at that point since this will increase your detection circle and will stay that way if you keep firing. 

Another 4th skill to take is IFHE for cruisers. It adds +30% raw damage to your HE shells by increasing its penetration. Instead of seeing your HE shells shatter, you see penetration hits instead. Just an FYI, a shatter shell and a penetration shell doesn't effect if a fire is started. That's a different mechanic based on the HE shell fire chance. Using IFHE you will notice an increase total of your overall damage, about an extra 20k or higher. This only works for HE shells, so it's not a skill to take for British cruisers that only use AP shells.

IFHE should be considered for most cruisers with 150mm to 180mm main battery guns (to bring their penetration value above 32mm), but not ships with 203mm guns since their penetration is already high enough; it's just +4 points going to waste. Keep in mind you don't need IFHE on German cruisers at Tier 4 and above. They received a buff a few months ago for their HE penetration, so you already get IFHE on them for free.

On 10/21/2017 at 4:01 PM, OtterWolf said:

I like to that Last Stand on the next level, especially for German Cruisers. They seem to get the engines and rudder knocked out often.

From there you might consider Expert Marksman.  If the boat can turn faster than the guns, this one is good to have.

That's only for certain ships that have very weak armor values the protect their engines and are known to be floating citadels. It is not a skill you need to take for every Germany cruiser, or any cruiser for that matter. You want to be sure to take the Steering Gears Modification 1 upgrade for Tier 3 and higher. Some ships (like some in the USN cruiser line) have their engines well protected, so you can use Damage Control Systems Modifications 1 instead.

Expert Marksman should be used if the traverse is more than 30 seconds. There's no point adding it for a traverse that's like 15 seconds for example, as the reduction will be minor (like 1 second) compared to a turret traverse over 30 seconds that you can shed about 4-5 seconds off. In a situation like that, you're better off spending the points elsewhere.

• Cool 3

[WOLF6]
Members
320 posts
2,609 battles
On 10/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, pewpewpew42 said:

This site has good builds.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

That site is great for playing around with builds, but if you look at individual ship builds, a lot of them are pretty terrible.  Quite a few straight troll builds in the mix, as well.

Sasha, if you have the time to research it, some community contributors that publish on youtube have recommended builds on their videos.  Flamu has a series of low tier instructionals, and recommends build on ships he features, although they tend to be higher tiers.  iChase academy series is good, and Notser posts recommended builds on his videos as well.  There are also posts on the WoWs section of Reddit if you search there.

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 2:31 PM, Termx said:

Priority Target is the recommended 1st skill when taking out a cruiser. You don't want to be caught with your pants down when getting focused fired.

2nd skill is Adrenaline Rush. It's a very powerful skill that reduces the reload time for your guns for every x amount of damage you take. The less reload time, the more Damage per Minute you can dish out. It also stacks with the reload times for torpedo launchers and also preparation time for aircraft on CVs. 

Also consider Expert Marksman if the turret traverse is more than 30 seconds, which is common with the IJN cruiser line. If less than 30 seconds, you can do without it.

3rd skill is Demolition Expert, it adds a +2% to your fire chance...ideal for most cruisers. The only cruisers that don't require this is the British line, since they only carry AP rounds.

4th skill is Concealment Expert to reduce your detection, since many cruisers are squishy and can't take hits like a battleship. Some cruisers have very low concealment ranges, so take advantage of them to go DARK when needed to reposition yourself on the map, or escape being focus fired on. Just don't fire your guns at that point since this will increase your detection circle and will stay that way if you keep firing. 

Another 4th skill to take is IFHE for cruisers. It adds +30% raw damage to your HE shells by increasing its penetration. Instead of seeing your HE shells shatter, you see penetration hits instead. Just an FYI, a shatter shell and a penetration shell doesn't effect if a fire is started. That's a different mechanic based on the HE shell fire chance. Using IFHE you will notice an increase total of your overall damage, about an extra 20k or higher. This only works for HE shells, so it's not a skill to take for British cruisers that only use AP shells.

IFHE should be considered for most cruisers with 150mm to 180mm main battery guns (to bring their penetration value above 32mm), but not ships with 203mm guns since their penetration is already high enough; it's just +4 points going to waste. Keep in mind you don't need IFHE on German cruisers at Tier 4 and above. They received a buff a few months ago for their HE penetration, so you already get IFHE on them for free.

That's only for certain ships that have very weak armor values the protect their engines and are known to be floating citadels. It is not a skill you need to take for every Germany cruiser, or any cruiser for that matter. You want to be sure to take the Steering Gears Modification 1 upgrade for Tier 3 and higher. Some ships (like some in the USN cruiser line) have their engines well protected, so you can use Damage Control Systems Modifications 1 instead.

Expert Marksman should be used if the traverse is more than 30 seconds. There's no point adding it for a traverse that's like 15 seconds for example, as the reduction will be minor (like 1 second) compared to a turret traverse over 30 seconds that you can shed about 4-5 seconds off. In a situation like that, you're better off spending the points elsewhere.

This is all fantastic advice, thank you for posting!

Members
38 posts
148 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 4:31 PM, Termx said:

Thanks a lot hun! Very good info for us young captains.

Sign in to follow this