You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

2 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,455 posts
5,743 battles

Hey guys, I got a bit curious about the history of fire control systems on board Warships and decided to make a video about it spanning the time frame we see in game.  

Here is the video:

I personally enjoyed the advances in fire control through WWII the most and how it dominated naval doctrine of the US and Japan.  Didn't spend much time elaborating on that in this video, but I wanted to cover the basics of it!

Thanks for watching and I hope you enjoy it!

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
347 posts
11,263 battles

Great Post! As an early 60's Fire Control guy, I worked on the development of using digital computers and ranging systems for the Navy's early missile systems that were using analog electronics to solve the fire control problems. The reason for the switch to digital, is that the analog electronics were very unreliable, especially compared to the MK1A. 

My first ship, CG12 was a new class that was built on WW2 CA hulls. The existing superstructure and guns were replaced with an aluminum superstructure and guided missile batteries fore and aft, and amidships. Shortly after CG12's commissioning, someone at BuShips asked the embarrassing question, "what will this ship do if confronted with an enemy torpedo boat?"

CG 12 was returned to the yard at Bremerton, and an open mount 5"38 was installed beside the Tartar missile system. A WW2 vintage Mk 56 Fire Control System was installed over each gun. 

One thing you did not mention was a gyrocompass that was mounted directly beside the Mk1A. It had direct shaft inputs for Pitch, Roll, and Heading, so it was no longer necessary to fire on the up role. 

I'll stop my Fire Control Trivia with a comment about the Fire Control switchboards. They were massive six foot tall doors containing over 30 large rotary switches, and filled a bulkhead (wall of main plot). The commands to each gun mount for bearing, elevation, fuse setting, and a contact closure to fire. The first three signals used a minimum of 3 wires each to drive a rotary transformer called a synchro. There was also a feedback contact closure that indicated that the gun was loaded and ready to fire. There were switches to permit any primary or secondary Mk1A to send commands to any Primary or Secondary gun mount. 

There were also switches to send the target range, bearing and elevation signals to any of the Primary or Secondary Mk1A's.

• Cool 1