You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Giulio Cesare Commanders, Mouse wants your Help!

31 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,934 posts
8,379 battles

I need some volunteers that have recently acquired Giulio Cesare.  One of my side projects has been to improve the understanding of detonation mechanics and module damage in World of Warships.  I've devised a test but I need some people to volunteer to be the control group. 

I need people playing Giulio Cesare to screenshot (and/or provide replays) of every time they detonate an enemy vessel with their Italian Battleship.

The methodology for this is pretty simple.  Play your ship as you normally would.  Anytime you make someone explode in a fun and engaging matter, mash that screenshot key or earmark the replay.  Contact me via the forum private message and let me know.  I'll be keeping a running tally of what people have done.  I will need proof, so those screenshots (which can be uploaded to imgur or tinypic) are key.  Having replays enabled is a much appreciated bonus -- it will allow me to evaluate exactly how the detonations were set off and by what means.

For this to work, I also need to know how many games you have played in Giulio Cesare before you agreed to participate.  If you decide you no longer wish to participate, let me know the final number of games you have played when you bow out.  I'm going to be collecting a large number of games here to get a sizeable sample. 

I expect to be compiling data on this until the New Year.

If you wish to volunteer, please let me know in this thread and say how many games you've played in Giulio Cesare already before you begin watching for detonations.

EDIT:  This is the kind of screenshot I'm looking for:

KtlW2W0.jpg
Click to expand.  Note that the detonation message is clearly visible in the kill feed.  I can see that you're playing Cesare. That's what I'm after.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
20,521 posts
13,924 battles

Signed.

I've played two games in GC before now, without detonations. Will start watching now.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,833 posts
3,584 battles

I've got 7 battles in the Cesare, mostly in Co-op until I get a good feel for it.  I'll keep an eye out for dets, though.

[VVV]
Members
714 posts
11,286 battles

Signing I'll have her tomorrow. I'll post any detonations  I get 

Edited by yamato6945

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
694 posts
9,023 battles

Picked her up yesterday, but have zero games, as yet.  I'll attempt to play her at least once, every time I sit down to play and provide details as acquired.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles

Signed, 

5 Battles in the Cesare, 1 Detonation to report on a Dough-Troy (the French tier 4 cruiser). Happy to help you (hopefully) end the Detonation argument once and for all. Or at least give the Anti-Detonation crowd a piece of precise experimental evidence. Not that you haven't shown how rare it is already...sry rambling here. Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi ready to help! 5 games one detonation. 

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
9 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Happy to help you (hopefully) end the Detonation argument once and for all.

That's not my goal here.  I know better than to try and convince people to go against their opinion on the internet.  My goal is to provide some answers to the following questions:

• How often the average player causes detonations?
  • Can a player significantly increase the frequency with knowledge, experience and skill?

This initial data collection is part one of what will likely be a three part process.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

My mistake LWM, was in an anti-detonation thread earlier. Still glad to help you out!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

What is there to understand pen the ammo magazine on Hood aim just in front of the rear turret where her torpedoes should  be that is where Bismarck landed her kill shot. You have to pen and destroy a module that contains some form of ammo to get a detonation.

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles

Thank you everyone who has so far stepped forward to volunteer.  The more candidates the better.  Keep your eyes on your kill feeds -- those low health ships like to blow up more than the full health ones.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

I'm in mouse  3 played so far  no dets  have replays enabled and will store screenshots of any dets.

M

[MIA-I]
Members
1,232 posts
12,057 battles

I'll be happy to help. I have 8 games so far in the GC, one detonation in the very first patch, vs I an Emerald. No screenshot yet, but will provide as and if they appear.

[TBW]
Members
7,401 posts
13,567 battles

I usually don't play a new premium, until the fervor to kill them dies out. I am in for your project. Starting at Zero, Zilch, Nada.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,611 posts
8,217 battles

Interesting topic, I'll just say I have noticed that I citadel enemy ships quite often with Giulio Cesare, especially cruisers, using AP, much more often than any other t5 bb I have played. I also citadelled a cv the other day, using HE (I know that is normal, but it was a first for me). 

[TBW]
Members
7,401 posts
13,567 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Anytime you make someone explode in a fun and engaging matter,

To clarify? Just Detonations or Fun and engaging too?

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,737 battles

I'll join in. 5 games so far.  No detonations known. 2 cases of devastating strikes but that was AP citadel hits.

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
51 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

To clarify? Just Detonations or Fun and engaging too?

Just detonations that you cause to others.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

So far my only detonated ship with Caesar has been a Hood as stated hit the torpedo room on the rear of the superstructure.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
7 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

So far my only detonated ship with Caesar has been a Hood as stated hit the torpedo room on the rear of the superstructure.

Uh you mean the main gun ammunition storage, the Hood doesn't have her torpedoes or their storage rooms modeled in-game.

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,737 battles

I want some clarification on causing detonations:

1. HE shells can detonations by splash damage. Highest probability of occurring on dd's and CA's.

2. AP shells can cause detonations by direct hit to the magazine areas. Highest probability of occurring to CA's.

So if you can target the area underneath the turrets, you'd have the greatest chance of causing detonations.

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
On 10/25/2017 at 11:13 AM, Bill_Halsey said:

I want some clarification on causing detonations:

1. HE shells can detonations by splash damage. Highest probability of occurring on dd's and CA's.

2. AP shells can cause detonations by direct hit to the magazine areas. Highest probability of occurring to CA's.

So if you can target the area underneath the turrets, you'd have the greatest chance of causing detonations.

1. Correct.  All HE attacks have a splash radius (known) and splash penetration (unknown).  So long as the HE splash is of sufficient size and power to reach and damage the magazines, there's a chance for detonations.  Destroyers are especially vulnerable given their small size and the lack of much (if any) armour protection around their magazines.  Some destroyers even have separate magazines in such close proximity that multiple magazines can be damaged by a single attack.  The vulnerability of cruisers depends again on the placement, protection and number of magazines.  Battleships are largely immune to HE splash effects with the notable exception of torpedo hits.

2. Correct.  An AP shell must penetrate into a magazine and stop inside it.  Simply passing through the magazine isn't sufficient to damage it -- it's only when the AP shell (or bomb)'s path ends inside a magazine where it applies damage.  This makes it very difficult (but not impossible) to land AP hits on destroyer magazines.  It's much easier to do so on select cruisers and some battleships.

If you target magazines, you are more likely to cause detonations.  This isn't always optimal for destroying a ship quickly, however.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,737 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's much easier to do so on select cruisers and some battleships.

You wouldn't happen to have such list on hand, do you?

*makes puppy eyes*