Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

Okay, so after 0.6.12 smoke changes, Emerald is even worse

19 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,359 posts
12,506 battles

Emerald: 5.4km
Leander: 4.6km
Fiji: 5.4km
Edinburgh: 5.52km
Neptune: 6.58km
Minotaur: 5.4km

Now, 5.4km on Fiji is a fair trade, as it gets more potent guns, but Emerald with 5.4km...

combined with the 6km torps, it is quite a hopeless ship now.

[LOU1]
Members
3,696 posts
10,159 battles
15 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Now, 5.4km on Fiji is a fair trade, as it gets more potent guns, but Emerald with 5.4km...

How has it felt when you played it?  What did you notice that is different or caused issues?

[SYN]
Members
15,359 posts
12,506 battles
6 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

How has it felt when you played it?  What did you notice that is different or caused issues?

The main problem with Emerald is the crapaccuracy and penetration of the guns, ergo you have to get in close to deal any damage.

If you don't have a 10pt CE captain, which I doubt many people do for Emerald, then your concealment is already an atrocious 11.3km, while your optimal gun range is more like 8km. So if you try and smoke ambush something at 8km, you now only have 2.6km of breathing room, which is not enough.

And the torps only go 6km too.

[LOU1]
Members
3,696 posts
10,159 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

The main problem with Emerald is the crapaccuracy and penetration of the guns, ergo you have to get in close to deal any damage.

If you don't have a 10pt CE captain, which I doubt many people do for Emerald, then your concealment is already an atrocious 11.3km, while your optimal gun range is more like 8km. So if you try and smoke ambush something at 8km, you now only have 2.6km of breathing room, which is not enough.

And the torps only go 6km too.

Ok.  I was wondering what your in-game experiences have been with it - have you tried it yet?

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,734 posts
7,732 battles

Has Emerald ever been a non-hopeless ship?

• Cool 2

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles
3 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

nope. but now it's competing with the Karl of old for the top hopeless ship of all time.

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,255 posts
12,814 battles

No one should ever drive Emerald to within 10 km  of any ship that is armed with guns  

[SYN]
Members
7,459 posts
12,670 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Despite hating every minute of the Emerald, I actually performed pretty well in her. 

[ARGSY]
Members
13,024 posts
8,332 battles
4 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I actually performed pretty well in her. 

How well is well?

Your advice and hints would be greatly appreciated by those of us whose unfortunate duty it is to grind through it.

My only half-decent battles in her have been after the smoke changes. All I have to say is that waiting and sniping in smoke is all fun and games until the enemy strike aircraft show up, so I suspect my better games from here on in are going to be when no carriers are present or when they have been neutralised. Until then, the best place to be is in open water to enable unrestricted WASD. Though I must say, it sort of flatters me that with battleships still alive on my team, the enemy CV commander thought it fitting to send two torpedo-bomber squadrons to do me in.

[SYN]
Members
7,459 posts
12,670 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu  

I am afraid I can't really give you advice, there wasn't some trick I used or anything. Things just kinda fell into place with the Emerald and worked out, I only played 14 rounds in her but I did so well enough to move on to the Leander.  She is (i think) the first of the line to get smoke, and I would play her similarly too the USN DDs.  Use cover to get close enough to the fight (within torpedo range), smoke up and just hit everything I can. But with the smoke changes that is not really viable anymore.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,024 posts
8,332 battles

I can work my way into position to get torpedo opportunities; that's easy enough. The problem I have is that there's frequently some pesky allied ship in the way that might eat them if I misjudge things or they're zoned into what they are doing (including taking necessary evasive action). Also,  having been pink once I have no desire to be so again. It's hard to direct a message to the friendly ship in question to either turn aside or NOT turn aside from their current course while simultaneously trying to time the torp launch and avoid having lunch in the hereafter with the captains of British battlecruisers.

[SYN]
Members
15,359 posts
12,506 battles
3 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Ok.  I was wondering what your in-game experiences have been with it - have you tried it yet?

I've grinded through it before, was awful

I'm grinding through it again on another server, it's even worse now

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

There's also the fact Emerald is sandwiched between two ships, Danae and Leander, which are way better for their tiers.  So Emerald's low quality is even more pronounced as you progress up the tree.

• Cool 1

[OLDSK]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,974 battles

Ah, the Emerald.  Who remembers attempting to grind that ship and when you hit the smoke button, got zilch for cover?  Fun times.  I shudder to think how it would be when the smoke actually works but everyone can still see you, lol. 

[G_S]
Members
278 posts
On 10/21/2017 at 10:29 AM, MrDeaf said:

The effect of the smoke nerf is in the data.  Damage and XP are what matters because if teammates pickup the slack of a weak(er) ship to pad win % that's immaterial.  Since the smoke nerf, all other T9 CAs remained the same or improved EXCEPT the Neptune.  The Neptune dropped from a strong third to second the last.  The Neptune is a more POS Baltimore with the smoke nerf because its AP simply cannot do damage relative to damage it takes (due to horrible armor) once spotted, made worse by its poor rudder shift, shatter-prone shells with horrible float at range and added detection.  All DDs need to do is get within 6.6km of smoke, and with a spotting distance of 10.4km on the Neptune that's not hard to do.  The stats since the smoke nerf show all this.

All, Neptune  (10/28/2017) 
Damage: 51,065   
XP: 1,422

2 Weeks, Neptune (10/28/2017)    
Damage: 47,008 (-8%)   
XP: 1,317 (-7%)

And, the smoke nerf nerfed the entire RN CA line, excluding Belfast because it has effective HE:

All (10/30/2017)
    Minotaur    66,725    1,622    
    Neptune        51,015    1,420    
    Belfast        46,610    1,390    
    Fiji        41,231    1,201    
    Edinburgh    40,394    1,284    

2 Weeks (10/30/2017)
    Minotaur    63,808    1,567    
    Neptune        46,555    1,309    
    Belfast        47,470    1,381    
    Fiji        37,847    1,118    
    Edinburgh    36,988    1,197

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
On 21/10/2017 at 6:29 PM, MrDeaf said:

Thanks for your outlined feedback. I will bring up your concerns to our team @MrDeaf 

[B_O_W]
Members
383 posts
6,078 battles

Until I got to the Leander, all lower tier British cruisers sucked big time.  I have had very good success with the Leander - improved win/loss ratio, average damage per game, ships sunk per game, exp and silver earned per game, etc.  Emerald and below was a painful grind.

Sign in to follow this