You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Spec'ing for better damage control has changed my life

20 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

A scan of my stats will clearly show that this opinion is that of an average but enthusiastic player who has been consistently improving- mostly thanks to the support of the community as well as the resources provided by the CC's. With that disclaimer out of the way-

As a BB main who spends some time in cruisers and DDs (and low tier carriers) I have to say that the introduction of RNBBs really challenged my pursuit of BB captain / module configurations that focused on the offensive strategy. Fires were originally annoying but tolerable. On the few occasions where the various captain skills and modules that enhanced offense and maneuverability (the latter of which could be argued is a defensive module, I know) actually shined, I've found that since RNBBs showed up making the shift to a predominantly defense / damage control orientation has made the fires much easier to deal with. This while still maintaining a reasonable degree of offensive capacity that comes stock with the BB platform.  

The rudder shift mod was the one that I took the longest to move away from in favour of the damage control mod. Rudder shift on something the size of a BB is a nice to have to avoid torpedoes but this can be substituted for vigilance captain skills or just overall better situational awareness and hydro. It's about balance and play style- Fire and flooding aren't going away so when what we're doing doesn't work we need to make hard changes.

As you evolve as a warships player, you'll naturally be able to anticipate when torpedoes can be expected by learning to notice what DDs are smoking versus the ones that have the torp reload module- which DDs haven't been seen for awhile and could be causing you to be detected... even potentially baiting torps by sailing in a straight line for the "right" amount of time before suddenly and unpredictably changing your course and speed drastically. I'm a slooooooooooooooooooow learner but I found that these things started to form up naturally after about 3000 battles. These few items as well as a firm grasp on the capabilities of many ships and their respective gimmicks. Face it, sometimes the other team does something right and your ship will end up at the bottom- but as your natural situational awareness grows so too can your survival stats. 

Various captain skills enhance your ability to either minimize module damage, speed up the cool down of the repair party... etc. Some of these skills are more practical  / valuable for some ships than others- My point is take a real hard look at the offensive benefits to the captain skills that enhance your armament and be honest with yourself about the difference it will make with every shot you take versus the ones you will inevitably eat. Every shot you take has a ~30% chance of hitting your target (whether it crumples like a beer can, pens like a boss or ignites like a molotov cocktail)- but 100% of the rounds that light you on fire or damage you have lit you on fire or damaged you. 

I can't remember how many threads I wrote about changing fire chance based on fire damage saturation, ships being made out of flammable vapour and how I wanted every DD and Cruiser skipper to fall off the earth. Gaming was miserable and I needed to take breaks frequently. I hope many of you took the opportunity to respec your captains during the free period and if you're hovering on what to do with your BB captains, I'd highly recommend that you respec in a defensive / damage con strategy for the sake of your sanity. It has significantly changed my gaming disposition and brought a level of serenity to the experience. 

What changes, if any, have you made to your setups to address the changes is the overall flow of the game? 

Edited by ENO75
  • Cool 6

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
15,216 battles

Good post, yes all of my BBs are set for survivability. I just wish I had more than 19 pts per capt......say another 10!  lol.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, SgtSpud said:

Good post, yes all of my BBs are set for survivability. I just wish I had more than 19 pts per capt......say another 10!  lol.

Were they always set that way or did you make a change recently? 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,719 posts
28,259 battles

With the introduction of Fire-spamming BBs, several captain skills look more attractive. Fire Prevention is helpful because it eliminates on ego the two potential fire sources at the center of your ship, reducing total potential fires from 4 down to 3. Basics of Survivability reduces the duration of a fire by 15%. That translates directly into a 15% reduction in damage done by a fire left to run its course. And High Alert drops the cool down period for Damage Control by 10%. That's 12 seconds if you aren't using Premium Damage Control. An eternity if you have 2-3 fires burning on your ship!

Jack of all Trades reduces the reload time of ALL consumables by 5% (10% for Jack Dunkirk). 6 seconds faster for your Repair might not be as important as 12 seconds faster for D.C.  

I had already moved to a "tank build" for some of my BBs before the Conqueror and his little buddies showed up. With the free re-specs this weekend. I'm going through the whole fleet and expect to put Fire Prevention on most BBs. Bismarck is an exception because secondaries and there are a couple of others. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[_K_]
Members
3,075 posts
6,609 battles

I've long championed a PM/HA/BoS base for BB captains, coupled with DC2 in place of SG2. I've been slowly swapping manual secondaries for FP as well, excepting one or two specific ships. Add in India Delta, India Yankee, and Juliet Yankee Bissotwo for a very tanky build that makes Fireproof as rare as Clear Sky.

Members
566 posts
2,000 battles
1 hour ago, ENO75 said:

A scan of my stats will clearly show that this opinion is that of an average but enthusiastic player who has been consistently improving- mostly thanks to the support of the community as well as the resources provided by the CC's. With that disclaimer out of the way-

As a BB main who spends some time in cruisers and DDs (and low tier carriers I have to say that the introduction of RNBBs really challenged my pursuit of BB captain / module configurations that focused on the offensive strategy. Fires were annoying but tolerable and for the few occasions where the various captain skills and modules that enhanced offense and maneuverability (the latter of which could be argued is a defensive module, I know) I've truly found that making the shift to the predominantly defense has made the fires much easier to deal with while maintaining a reasonable degree of offensive capability that comes stock with the BB platform.  

The rudder shift mod was the one that I took the longest to move away from in favour of the damage control mod. Rudder shift on something the size of a BB is a nice to have to avoid torpedoes but this can be substituted for vigilance captain skills or just overall better situational awareness and hydro. It's about balance and play style- Fire isn't going away so when what we're doing doesn't work we need to make hard changes.

As you evolve as a warships player, you'll naturally be able to anticipate when torpedoes can be expected by learning to notice what DDs are smoking versus the ones that have the torp reload module- which DDs haven't been seen for awhile and could be causing you to be detected... even potentially baiting torps by sailing in a straight line for the "right" amount of time before suddenly and unpredictably changing your course and speed drastically. I'm a slooooooooooooooooooow learner but I found that these things started to form up naturally after about 3000 battles. These few items as well as a firm grasp on the capabilities of many ships and their respective gimmicks. Face it, sometimes the other guy does something right and your ship will end up at the bottom- but as your natural situational awareness grows so too can your survival stats. 

Various captain skills enhance your ability to either minimize module damage, speed up the cool down of the repair party... etc. Some of these skills are more practical  / valuable for some ships than others- My point is take a real hard look at the offensive benefits to the captain skills that enhance your armament and be honest with yourself about the difference it will make with every shot you take versus the ones you will inevitably eat. Every shot you take has a ~30% chance of hitting your target- but 100% of the rounds that light you on fire or damage you have lit you on fire or damaged you. 

I can't remember how many threads I wrote about changing fire chance based on fire damage saturation, ships being made out of flammable vapour and how I wanted every DD and Cruiser skipper to fall off the earth. Gaming was miserable and I needed to take breaks frequently. I hope many of you took the opportunity to respec your captains during the free period and if you're hovering on what to do with your BB captains, I'd highly recommend that you respec in a defensive / damage con strategy for the sake of your sanity. It has significantly changed my gaming disposition and brought a level of serenity to the experience. 

What changes, if any, have you made to your setups to address the changes is the overall flow of the game? 

This is very helpful While I do not play BB's much I believe this thought process is valid and looking at damage reduction is a interesting postulation. Thank you, Mr. ENO75. for the effort and time, to post this thought. I hope it helps my scores have fallen greatly since RN appeared. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
41 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Bismarck is an awful xception because secondaries and there are a couple of others. 

It's funny you say that- Before I edited the post I had highlighted Bismark as an exception as well since it does a few things very well that other BBs (including FDG) just can't... Between the fire control and rudder shift- there's just something about Bismark and its ability to exist and even excel closer to DDs that makes me very, very hesitant to shift it and its skipper to a purely defensive strategy. 

25 minutes ago, Maggie_Saito said:

This is very helpful While I do not play BB's much I believe this thought process is valid and looking at damage reduction is a interesting postulation. Thank you, Mr. ENO75. for the effort and time, to post this thought. I hope it helps my scores have fallen greatly since RN appeared. 

Good luck Maggie- fortunately even slight changes can have a really significant impact on your success as well as your enjoyment! 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,869 posts
6,427 battles

At first I was wondering what the hell "offensive modules" you folks were using.  Then I remembered that a tomato will secondary spec just about anything.

[WISCO]
[WISCO]
Members
227 posts
5,740 battles

OP off topic a bit but give yourself some credit.  Your stats show you to an above average player.

[FAE]
Members
2,337 posts
2,886 battles
30 minutes ago, Maggie_Saito said:

If you've been on fire and hit by torpedoes, the defensive BB build is considered very solid. 

--

For myself, I'm rarely on fire or flooding, so it makes me wonder if I really should change to def.  It might help in those extremely dire moments where I charge too hard (I can charge and stay alive very well). Also, it makes me sad to give up Bismarck secondary builds. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
9 minutes ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

OP off topic a bit but give yourself some credit.  Your stats show you to an above average player.

I gushed a little when I read this. Thanks. Seriously. 

I am an average player with a few ships I perform well in that help keep some averages up. :)  

Edited by ENO75
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
15,216 battles
50 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

Were they always set that way or did you make a change recently? 

Knowledge is king! I played mostly low tier DDs and some Cruisers almost exclusively for the first 5000 games or so then I started to get into BBs. As my experience grew I realized that the longer I could stay in the fight the more damage I could inflict. My average damage is relatively low over 9k games but has been on the rise since I hit 5k and have been playing more BBs. So ...recent?... I suppose so. 

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
15,216 battles
19 minutes ago, Jonesyrules15 said:

This is correct I haven't looked at server average for a while but last time I did it was around 48% wr and avg dmg way lower than yours.

[HEROS]
Members
1,569 posts
13,532 battles

Well Done, Well written. Well presented!  I am seriously impressed.   Thank you for sharing what have you have learned with the community sir.   It ties in real well with some of what I have written about on the forums here, and you've shown that taking a look at the over all effect has very very great effect and results.   The uinderstanding that everything from commander skills, to upgrades have to be considered as a whole.  The synergies between differing effects from module  and system improvements/upgrades and commander skills are critical to success.

Keep this up your and gonna be one scary good player!  I am looking forward to meeting YOU in battle sir because you are going to give one hell of a fight.    I love a good fray!

Bravo!

• Cool 2

[EGO]
Members
3,524 posts

I respecced some of my captains before the free respec and have quite a few that don;t have enough points yet for the full respec. I definitely agree though that going full fire resistance on high tier BBs is very effective and makes the game more enjoyable. I do miss the secondary build on my German BBs though.

Members
22,459 posts
5,792 battles
3 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Jack of all Trades reduces the reload time of ALL consumables by 5% (10% for Jack Dunkirk). 6 seconds faster for your Repair might not be as important as 12 seconds faster for D.C.  

But isn't it 6 seconds faster for DC as well? It's a consumable. What if you had both? Can you shave an entire 18 seconds DC?

I should probably know this, but honestly never had reason to think about it. I don't think I currently have any captains with JoAT, and only a couple with HA.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

But isn't it 6 seconds faster for DC as well? It's a consumable. What if you had both? Can you shave an entire 18 seconds DC?

I should probably know this, but honestly never had reason to think about it. I don't think I currently have any captains with JoAT, and only a couple with HA.

The way I understood it was that you would benefit more from one or the other but now that you mention it I certainly have never tested it... 

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

Good post. I've always felt BBs should trend towards Survivability 1st.

They have a tremendous Alpha strike(when the RNG gods deem us worthy) and a huge HP pool. They're supposed to be THE damage sponges in my mind. I like games where I put myself in a position to be focused and my team ACTUALLY responds accordingly to capitalize on the opportunity I'm granting them. If I end up sunk - eventually - but punish the enemy team simply by appearing like a big slab of vulnerable easy meat and the enemy all tunnel visions me - If this inspires my team to take the opportunity to flank or press when all guns are on my ship and leads us to a win or dominance in a sector? I'll be happy with that result.

To me, this game isn't about being top dog or big earnings. Those games happen when they happen unless you're a level of player I'll never be.

I see it as a Team Game first and anything I can do to ensure victory, I'll do it. Even if that means a boring 5 minutes holding a corner, monitoring my Consumables and keeping the ship angled properly.

[FML]
Members
2,482 posts
11,932 battles
25 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

The way I understood it was that you would benefit more from one or the other but now that you mention it I certainly have never tested it... 

Today is an excellent day to test it (with free respec!). 

Also, good show, OP. You have transitioned from raging about game mechanics and players who use them to using the counters available to mitigate the problem. Most players don't make it that far. 

I personally don't go hard into survivability in my battleships, though with the recent smoke changes I might need to change. I think only my NC captain has fire prevention atm, the others just rely on flags. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,249 posts
10,943 battles

My final straw for specing survival skills came during a recent match in the Yorck. I had HE spamming BB's break my engine 7 times before I could get disengaged. No joke, a DD was shadowing me and I couldn't look for him because the KGV and about 4 of his friends were focus firing me. Several times my engine was broken with no other damage.. yep, my stern was saturated, the only reason I survived at all.

I've also noticed a drastic increase of a certain module being destroyed at the worst times while engaging an HE spamming BB at close range. Just makes me immediately start concentrating on burning down any BB I see flinging HE.