Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
flackbait_steel

Fun and Engaging

6 comments in this topic

[VENOM]
Members
21 posts
14,794 battles

While reviewing some navy documentaries,  Wargaming's tag line, "Fun and Engaging" came to mind, and I had an idea...yes, another idea from the rubber ducky battleship. 

Getting detonated is fun for the player that causes it, but very disengaging for the receiving player. Most complaints in WOWs are about get killed by a method that the player, or his ships class, can do little about. So what if getting detonated was just an event rather than assured death? There are many instances where an internal explosion destroyed a turret a but did not detonate the ships main magazine. So what if WG gave the poor sod a chance to fight on? It would work something like this:

1) BOOM! Shooting player laughs at his luck (calls it skill), you ship explodes, and everyone sees mushroom clouds, tsunami waves, fireworks. Maybe even a 60 second smoke screen of debris.

2) But instead of insta-death, the receiving ship looses the battery corresponding to where the penetration was and 1/2 of its maximum health. This may sink a damaged ship, but if you are above 1/2 health, you survive.

3) If you survive, your ship is inoperative for 60 seconds while your crew scrambles to save it. At the end of the recovery time seconds, all consumable timers reset (loosing any charges used) and all weapons have to be reloaded. During the recovery time you ship is not on the map and a sunk ship counter is placed there. You cannot be attacked further.

4) When you pop back up it may surprise the enemy, or you may be surrounded, but at least you have a chance to keep fighting.

This keeps the receiving player engaged, although probably struggling. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,632 posts
15,896 battles

Where to start ...

12 minutes ago, flackbait_steel said:

2) But instead of insta-death, the receiving ship looses the battery corresponding to where the penetration was and 1/2 of its maximum health. This may sink a damaged ship, but if you are above 1/2 health, you survive.

This is probably do-able, and where you should have stopped. period.

13 minutes ago, flackbait_steel said:

3) If you survive, your ship is inoperative for 60 seconds while your crew scrambles to save it. At the end of the recovery time seconds, all consumable timers reset (loosing any charges used) and all weapons have to be reloaded. During the recovery time you ship is not on the map and a sunk ship counter is placed there. You cannot be attacked further.

This is insane; first, no ship in the match should be immune to attack. You shouldn't lose anything because you were hit, unless you are sunk, which means you should lose everything. And no ship should ever re-spawn.

15 minutes ago, flackbait_steel said:

4) When you pop back up it may surprise the enemy, or you may be surrounded, but at least you have a chance to keep fighting.

and it would be less painful to just die from the damn detonation.

NO!

• Cool 1

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles

If I get detonated I want a big explosion. I want a stream of fire into the sky followed by a big boom and I want it visible across the whole map

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles

Oh hell another dead horse thread ? you want respawns go play MWO or how about you not start whiney threads about the same things over and over ?

[VENOM]
Members
21 posts
14,794 battles

You know there ARE tags on threads. If you do not want to read another thread about a topic, then its on you for clicking. While we are on the topic, how about you not whine about threads that you perceive as whiney?

I was just trying to suggest an interesting dynamic. Very possibly an overly complex one. No is a perfectly acceptable answer. Or, as Umikami suggested, a simpler mechanic; and "Stop there". Then he said "NO!" to the rest. Awesome. I appreciate the feedback Umikami, that's how ideas are developed. It is just an idea; don't be afraid. 

I think huge explosions would be awesome also. Huge cloud of fire, ship bits falling into the water in a 5km radius. Like a Death Star exploding in the water (no hokey ring though)

You may have to consider, and we all know you will not as you are a Master of being Petty officer, that just because you do not want a particular mechanic changed does not mean people bringing it up repeatedly are whining. It means people have a different opinion than you. And if it keeps coming up then you may be in the minority and the community has the right to say, "Stop whining about the mechanics changing" to you. 

• Cool 1

Members
837 posts
4,969 battles

I believe the first part of your idea (#1 and #2) is a popular idea that LWM had, and I support that. After all, Gneisenau had a magazine explosion that ripped a hole through the bow, and that's why her turrets were planned to be replaced. It didn't destroy the whole ship. I don't agree with #3 and #4 though.

Sign in to follow this