You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

The Stat that I use to judge the quality of my teammates...

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,116 posts
14,427 battles

...is how much time I need to spend avoiding collisions with the green ships. I swear some games I spend more time worrying where the friendly ships are than I do worrying about where the enemy ships are. I've been known to break off an attack just so I can remove myself from the lemming pack and find some room to maneuver. The congested nature of the maps doesn't help either with open water being the exception and not the rule. Oh well...adapt and overcome.

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,983 battles

Sorry to burst your bubble but if you have to worry about collisions with friendly ships that often then you are the problem, not your teammates.

• Cool 8

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,895 posts
8,777 battles

The first duty of any captain is to protect his or her ship...PERIOD. therefore if this is a common problem then you are failing to realize how to judge intention of your team mate, speed, distance and turn rate. the last thing is to communicate better.

However some days you can do all these things and still get "run into" but if you do the above those days will be less.

Good Luck

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles

i can, nine times out of ten, accurately predict the outcome of a match based on how my team deploys at the start.  

strike 1 = bb's instantly turning to run to the other side of the map and never inching near the objectives.

strike 2 = cruisers running right for the nearest rock in such a way as they'll NEVER be able to provide fire support to friendly dd's who get into knifefights with enemy dd's in a cap.

strike 3 = friendlies running into each other right out of the spawn in the same way chickens with their head's cut off run around and into each other.

three strikes and im out... ive got better things to do than waste time with people who are so utterly incompetent they can't even slightly coordinate when there's no immediate threat to them, let alone what will happen when the red guys start shooting at them.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, Shadeylark said:

strike 2 = cruisers running right for the nearest rock in such a way as they'll NEVER be able to provide fire support to friendly dd's who get into knifefights with enemy dd's in a cap.

Tough to radar caps in cruisers from out in the wide open- unless you just want to trade a DD for a cruiser every match? 

[NSEW]
Members
1,032 posts

Frustrating. Not the players that you've all described, but the feeling I get from the so called 'experienced' players making bold blanket statements over smallest of factors that doesn't necessarily correlate to the end results.

1 hour ago, Shadeylark said:

i can, nine times out of ten, accurately predict the outcome of a match based on how my team deploys at the start.  

strike 1 = bb's instantly turning to run to the other side of the map and never inching near the objectives.

strike 3 = friendlies running into each other right out of the spawn in the same way chickens with their head's cut off run around and into each other.

three strikes and im out... ive got better things to do than waste time with people who are so utterly incompetent they can't even slightly coordinate when there's no immediate threat to them, let alone what will happen when the red guys start shooting at them.

"No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy" ever heard of that? Same principle applies. Players with your approach/mindset in the battle, always turns tail first. Reinforcing the unnecessary chaos that should be reigned.

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
3,688 posts
10,082 battles

I definitely agree with the initial statement and most strongly agree with strikes 1 and 3. 

Regarding strike 2, most cruisers shouldn't be heading to the rocks; however, for those squishier units like Baltimore and DM using rock armor is often essential.  Finding good positioning that also allows those to also have good firing angles is a complicated skill to learn all to itself.  I've considered setting up training room again just for the purpose of intensively scouting and memorizing the terrain and good positions on relevant maps where I can gain useful protection while still being able to have useful gun firing angles/lanes. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

are you saying you quit out of battles that don't start perfectly? because that seems like an extremely short sighted thing to do. not to mention, i'm pretty sure it can get you banned if they know you're doing it intentionally. and you just announced that you do.

not only that, but i've seen battles start that way numerous times, and still won. the fact that you're judging the outcome of a match so early is just completely closed minded. there's an entire other team to account for.

• Cool 2

Members
1,027 posts
5,679 battles
2 hours ago, StingRayOne said:

The first duty of any captain is to protect his or her ship...PERIOD. therefore if this is a common problem then you are failing to realize how to judge intention of your team mate, speed, distance and turn rate. the last thing is to communicate better.

However some days you can do all these things and still get "run into" but if you do the above those days will be less.

Good Luck

ughh nice vid but the omg that music !!  gave me flashbacks of the 80's and not the good kind !

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
5 hours ago, ENO75 said:

Tough to radar caps in cruisers from out in the wide open- unless you just want to trade a DD for a cruiser every match? 

Never said it wasn't.  But if I can do it in my mino and des Moines, so can others.  you don't need to be right in the open to be useful, but you do need to be in a position to actually shoot the enemy to be useful.

Can't expect others to support you if you're more concerned about your own hide than theirs.  And teams that don't support each other have already lost before the first shot is fired.

Edited by Shadeylark

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
4 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Frustrating. Not the players that you've all described, but the feeling I get from the so called 'experienced' players making bold blanket statements over smallest of factors that doesn't necessarily correlate to the end results.

"No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy" ever heard of that? Same principle applies. Players with your approach/mindset in the battle, always turns tail first. Reinforcing the unnecessary chaos that should be reigned.

My criteria doesn't have anything to do with a plan.  All three points are related solely to basic situational awareness that even bots in coop are capable of displaying, not any planned strategy.

my criteria is the equivalent to expecting that you know where the steering wheel, brakes, and gas pedal are in your car, not that you know how to drive from new york city to boston.  if you don't know the way, i can direct you.  but if you don't know how to even drive around the block, then no matter how well i direct you, the trip is doomed to failure.

Edited by Shadeylark

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
3 hours ago, MidnightShamalan said:

are you saying you quit out of battles that don't start perfectly? because that seems like an extremely short sighted thing to do. not to mention, i'm pretty sure it can get you banned if they know you're doing it intentionally. and you just announced that you do.

not only that, but i've seen battles start that way numerous times, and still won. the fact that you're judging the outcome of a match so early is just completely closed minded. there's an entire other team to account for.

It won't get you banned; been here since cbt and never heard of anyone getting banned for leaving a match.

And if you'll note, I didn't say I was 100% accurate with my early assessments.  Yes, sometimes a team pulls a win from its [edited] (tho usually not because they do the right thing, but more because the other team fumbled the ball).  But those matches are the statistical outliers, not the norm, and therefore aren't what I base my decisions upon.

i also didn't say i was looking for a perfect opening.  its 3 strikes and you're out, not 2 strikes, or 1 strike.  you can have 1, or even 2, strikes against you, and ill still stick around.  but 3 strikes?  sorry, the magic eightball says that team is boned.

Edited by Shadeylark

[WOLF4]
Members
178 posts
1,741 battles

I'd hate to be on on your team. Any one that purposely leaves a match has no business playing in PvP at all I'd report you if I ever see you do if in a match with me. It's called sportsmanship. Just because you're going to lose doesn't mean you walk off the field. You man up and finish the game. I've had some of my favorite moments on games that were losses.

IMAG0116.jpg

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
9 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

Dude...

You have no business playing at all if that's your attitude.  The worst part of any team is seeing someone AFK.  Doubly so if it's deliberate.

Seriously, if you think your team doesn't meet your own self-evaluated standard of deployment, if no one plays the way you think they should, then simply gtfo and uninstall.  Waste your time elsewhere.  You'll be doing everyone else a favor.  The last thing a match needs is someone skipping out at the start like an @ss because they think they're the only one on the team who isn't an idiot.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
16 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Dude...

You have no business playing at all if that's your attitude.  The worst part of any team is seeing someone AFK.  Doubly so if it's deliberate.

Seriously, if you think your team doesn't meet your own self-evaluated standard of deployment, if no one plays the way you think they should, then simply gtfo and uninstall.  Waste your time elsewhere.  You'll be doing everyone else a favor.  The last thing a match needs is someone skipping out at the start like an @ss because they think they're the only one on the team who isn't an idiot.

its important to maintain standards.  all i ask for is basic competencies.

this isn't Rudy, i have zero desire to play with someone who doesn't meet the most basic qualifications to be on the team in the first place.

as for uninstalling... if my "team" expects me to play for their benefit and enjoyment, then they have the same obligation back to me.  its supposed to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, which means they have an obligation to meet my standards of enjoyment just as much as i have to meet theirs.  if they aren't upholding their end of the bargain to me, then i am under zero obligation to uphold my end to them.

bottom line... i do not do favours with no expectation of reciprocity.  you want me to do something that benefits you, then you damned sure better do something that benefits me.  if you fail to fulfill that basic courtesy, then i owe you the same lack of courtesy in return.

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
43 minutes ago, Kunra_1 said:

I'd hate to be on on your team. Any one that purposely leaves a match has no business playing in PvP at all I'd report you if I ever see you do if in a match with me. It's called sportsmanship. Just because you're going to lose doesn't mean you walk off the field. You man up and finish the game. I've had some of my favorite moments on games that were losses.

IMAG0116.jpg

ill be blunt... i don't give a half a [edited] about sportsmanship when it comes to randoms. 

sorry... but if i don't know you, i won't waste my time trying to carry you, and neither do i expect you to waste your time carrying me if i fail to uphold my side of things.

there is one thing that matters with randoms... winning.  i don't owe a random anything beyond that, and they don't owe me anything beyond that.  if i can't help us win, then they can afk on me.  if they can't help me win, then ill afk on them.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 minute ago, Shadeylark said:

this isn't Rudy, i have zero desire to play with someone who doesn't meet the most basic qualifications to be on the team in the first place.

as for uninstalling... if my "team" expects me to play for their benefit and enjoyment, then they have the same obligation back to me.  its supposed to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, which means they have an obligation to meet my standards of enjoyment just as much as i have to meet theirs.  if they aren't upholding their end of the bargain to me, then i am under zero obligation to uphold my end to them.

bottom line... i do not do favours with no expectation of reciprocity.  you want me to do something that benefits you, then you damned sure better do something that benefits me.  if you fail to fulfill that basic courtesy, then i owe you the same lack of courtesy in return.

What a phenomenally myopic and conceited mindset.

Not to burst your bubble, but your sense of self-importance and your expectations of others are of zero importance when it comes to how matches are played.

• Cool 2

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,775 battles
5 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

It won't get you banned; been here since cbt and never heard of anyone getting banned for leaving a match.

And if you'll note, I didn't say I was 100% accurate with my early assessments.  Yes, sometimes a team pulls a win from its [edited] (tho usually not because they do the right thing, but more because the other team fumbled the ball).  But those matches are the statistical outliers, not the norm, and therefore aren't what I base my decisions upon.

i also didn't say i was looking for a perfect opening.  its 3 strikes and you're out, not 2 strikes, or 1 strike.  you can have 1, or even 2, strikes against you, and ill still stick around.  but 3 strikes?  sorry, the magic eightball says that team is boned.

If you could be banned for open admission of abandoning a match for petty reasons then I would honestly beg for you to be banned. You are the most vile scumbag that could exist. "these people aren't good, I won't even TRY to win, I will instead make it utterly impossible to win by ragequitting like a child". Seriously, you have issues. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
12 posts
7,576 battles

Another thing that is a good judge of the quality a player is, if at the very start of the match, you see their catapult planes taking off of BB's and CA's..... Well before they could possibly be of ANY use.

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
36 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

You are in, IMO in The Twilight Zone in your mind rather than in a game with a well trained military force.....at least in the pubs.  Free to play game. There are no obligations....none.; There are no laws as to "meeting your standards of enjoyment".  Deal with it. Sorry, tough love. I know it hurts. You are allowed to quit playing. Might be a courtesy to yourself actually.  Why you not just "carry harder"....heh. Actually I hate that phrase.  Good luck!

• Cool 2

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
6 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

Can't expect others to support you if you're more concerned about your own hide than theirs

Damn right I'm going to be concerned about my own hide! You cant support anyone if you get quickly blown away. This may come as a surprise to you, but surviving is a important factor in winning a fight.