You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

How does one "Get Back" in a BB?

7 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

I'm laying back and I see an opportunity to poke out and attack an enemy.  I build up a little steam, poke out, and suddenly one enemy is two and I know I'm in trouble.  Chat is telling me to "Get Back."  Question is, how does one get back in a slow moving BB with such a wide turning radius?

At that point is it not better to just commit and start firing and hope to do as much damage as I can before I get sunk?

Edited by OldFrog75

[ADR]
Members
874 posts
6,251 battles

You can throw it into full reverse if you are near a island you might have time to back up, problem with turning is you give the enemy a broadside which can result in a ton of damage. So if you think you can survive, go nose onto the enemy, throw it into full reverse and back up back around a island.

But you are right sometimes you can't, it is a judgement call and something that you learn over time, but it is always dangerous to move ahead alone when you don't know where all the enemy is, for this very reason.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
10,708 posts

It depends a lot on the situation, like which ships are you now facing, how close are they, what terrain is nearby that may allow a getaway. You learn a lot of this by playing and reading the minimap in particular. I try to plan my attack route with 1 or 2 getaway routes if the situation goes south. I think you'll find as you play more you'll rarely get surprised by what pops up because you have already read the minimap and can predict which ships are in your part of the map.

Edited by RipNuN2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,152 battles

Turn immediately and turn hard !!

your going to take some damage but getting focused fired is the death knell for a lone BB,

all situations are different of course but this game has a policy of not rewarding lone wolf tactics in a B.B. all that often .. cause if you had a friend or 2 with you the odds of your success go way up

• Cool 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,895 posts
8,777 battles

change your mod to the steering advantage, backing up makes it harder to go forward again but it does present good armor. but then after a bit those attacking you as you back up gain all the advantage. the best plan is to turn and run in my book, keep all your speed flags for BB battles.

[NSEW]
Members
1,032 posts

When performing these movements. If you are being targeted. Wait for their salvos to splash, then turn. Not before, it will give them the chance to predict your maneuver, and hit you for more damage. Varying your speed in the process. 

People think it's full turn to starboard or stern turns that angles you. Use smaller increments, you'd be surprised.

Use the terrain to cover (vs hide) you. Specially when breaking contact. It allows you to egress in cover, and disallowing them to fire at you in the process. But this is limited. So be cognisant of the map.