Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mariofan1ish

USN CA viability after Smoke nerf?

8 comments in this topic

Members
47 posts
4,383 battles

As the proud owner of a Des Moines and fan of the USN Cruiser line as a whole, I've always found the ability to creep up alongside my Destroyers and forcefully remove all opposition from a Cap circle to be one of the most fun and rewarding things to do in my USN ships. However, as of late, Wargaming has decided to nerf Smoke- any ship firing behind a wall of smoke is now detected as it would if the smoke wasn't there to begin with, and firing your guns inside smoke now reveals your position from varying range depending on the ship in question.

What I'm asking is: Is there a real reason to continue using American CAs instead of German DDs? With smoke being butchered as it is, a DD just has to sneak relatively close to a smoke screen and then the ship will get seen just for firing. If it's a DD, the Hydro goes up and the target is lit up much longer than it would be by Radar. The German DDs are also much much safer and effective in terms of scouting and capping, and we always still have access to the USSR Cruisers if we need DPM and Radar from a somewhat safer ship.

Members
566 posts
2,043 battles

Mr. MarioFan1ish. I am relatively new and poor player.  Only USN cruiser I have is Cleveland and Indianapolis. I like both ships. but never score well in any ship (sorry still working on English). My question is The tactic you describe, is this only thing USN did sufficiently better then other Cruiser lines? Have IJN cruisers up to Aoba. only cruisers I have achieved. Should I avoid USN cruiser's (to use) not disengage in game? Many thank yous . 

59eab5e56a7fd_Michishio1.jpg.24367ea7439be209d51ad3e23243e7ee.jpg

[MIA]
Clan Supertest Coordinator, Supertester
6,448 posts
7,789 battles

Des Moines is fine.

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
151 posts
10,259 battles

Don't see too much change with your DM style.  If you're detected in your DD smoke, as you're rushing caps for anti-DD work, then with an 8.18km detect whilst firing in smoke means that any detection is within your radar range.  If it's a DD, then g'night DD!  

[MIA-P]
Members
671 posts
6,525 battles

I'm still unsure about this. Any DD who gets close enough to spot your deMoines in smoke will be getting radared and deleted, but my experience is that deMoines don't get out of that situation unscathed either. 

My main concern is that in the case of USN CAs, this update will do the exact opposite of its stated aim of reducing camping. USN CAs have a very narrow window of positions in which to operate effectively; they do poorly if any further away than 12km, and if any closer than 6km, if in open water or if they are the only available target. The new detection from smoke mechanics raise their minimum effective range even further to 8.2km, which I expect will cause people to rely even more heavily on island camping. At the same time, this update does not help the deMoines push smokes, as it already had the radar and in general does not do well if in torpedo range.

That all said, I've only taken my deMoines out three or four times since the update, and need to play it some more before giving a proper assessment.

• Cool 1

Members
47 posts
4,383 battles

My question isn't "Are they still good".

It's "Why should I use them over German DDs or Soviet CLs" at this point if I'm not going to be able to do much extra for my DDs anymore, since they can just do it themselves?"

Members
47 posts
4,383 battles
3 hours ago, Maggie_Saito said:

Mr. MarioFan1ish. I am relatively new and poor player.  Only USN cruiser I have is Cleveland and Indianapolis. I like both ships. but never score well in any ship (sorry still working on English). My question is The tactic you describe, is this only thing USN did sufficiently better then other Cruiser lines? Have IJN cruisers up to Aoba. only cruisers I have achieved. Should I avoid USN cruiser's (to use) not disengage in game? Many thank yous . 

59eab5e56a7fd_Michishio1.jpg.24367ea7439be209d51ad3e23243e7ee.jpg

The IJN cruisers after the Myoko can drop their Concealment to less than 10km, allowing them to VERY easily move alongside their Destroyers and absolutely pulverize any DD that dares get spotted, while also being fairly safe due to the weird armor on their decks. They cannot see through smoke the way the USN can, though, as they have no Radar. The British Cruisers can do it too, but it's insanely dangerous for them.

The USN is a much more passive and indirect method. They do not have the IJN deck armor layout, but fire MUCH faster, have radar, and have much better AP. Generally, I just park behind a rock near the capture-point and let the Radar go to work while firing at whatever's convenient. It's a very very safe style, but one that pays off in spades when done well.

That said, it always makes life easier having Smoke around just so I can be more aggressive or turn the ship around to flee more easily. With smoke getting nerfed like this, that is no longer an option, and while not a death sentence, I don't think offers me any reason to use the USN over the other "Smoke Bullies"- the Soviets and German Destroyers.

Members
566 posts
2,043 battles
6 minutes ago, Mariofan1ish said:

The IJN cruisers after the Myoko can drop their Concealment to less than 10km, allowing them to VERY easily move alongside their Destroyers and absolutely pulverize any DD that dares get spotted, while also being fairly safe due to the weird armor on their decks. They cannot see through smoke the way the USN can, though, as they have no Radar. The British Cruisers can do it too, but it's insanely dangerous for them.

The USN is a much more passive and indirect method. They do not have the IJN deck armor layout, but fire MUCH faster, have radar, and have much better AP. Generally, I just park behind a rock near the capture-point and let the Radar go to work while firing at whatever's convenient. It's a very very safe style, but one that pays off in spades when done well.

That said, it always makes life easier having Smoke around just so I can be more aggressive or turn the ship around to flee more easily. With smoke getting nerfed like this, that is no longer an option, and while not a death sentence, I don't think offers me any reason to use the USN over the other "Smoke Bullies"- the Soviets and German Destroyers.

Understand, Thank you Mr. Mariofan1ish will work on IJN, Soviet and KMS lines Have to Buddy on Soviet no KMS yet.

Sign in to follow this