Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mono_De_Mantequilla

It is a long way from 6 to 10

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
526 posts
6,419 battles

It is pretty easy to get a 6-point captain, and master a one-, two- and three-point skill.  Starting any line you should get yourself a 6-point captain before you are out of Tier IV, and that is where it starts to feel pretty good.  But it is a long way from a 6-point captain to a 10-point captain.  It takes 4 times longer to go from 6 to 10 than it did to go from 0 to 6, and it feels like a long wasteland of non-improvement while grinding towards that 4-point skill.  So my question to all of you more experienced folks is this: do you hold off with unspent skill points until you make it to 10, or do you spend some to learn any additional lower point skills on the way?

 

The disadvantage to waiting is that you will have the exact same captain at 182,000 XP as you did at 37,000 XP.  The disadvantage to incremental additions is that you will have to pay doubloons to re-spec once you do make it to 10 points.  I have not raised any commanders from scratch beyond 7 points yet (though I have several of the 10-point captains earned from scenarios), but the temporary free-respec period got me thinking about this.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,034 posts
8,707 battles

Oh hey its far easier now with special flags and stuff. Back in the day you simply had to work a captain to death. You still do but you can really fast-track his (or let's say her) progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,197
[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts

Yeah, no. Back in the day when there was 5 point skills, the gap was 10 to 15. Things have been made significantly easier for you already, don't ask for more. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,791
[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
39 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

It is pretty easy to get a 6-point captain, and master a one-, two- and three-point skill.  Starting any line you should get yourself a 6-point captain before you are out of Tier IV, and that is where it starts to feel pretty good.  But it is a long way from a 6-point captain to a 10-point captain.  It takes 4 times longer to go from 6 to 10 than it did to go from 0 to 6, and it feels like a long wasteland of non-improvement while grinding towards that 4-point skill.  So my question to all of you more experienced folks is this: do you hold off with unspent skill points until you make it to 10, or do you spend some to learn any additional lower point skills on the way?

 

The disadvantage to waiting is that you will have the exact same captain at 182,000 XP as you did at 37,000 XP.  The disadvantage to incremental additions is that you will have to pay doubloons to re-spec once you do make it to 10 points.  I have not raised any commanders from scratch beyond 7 points yet (though I have several of the 10-point captains earned from scenarios), but the temporary free-respec period got me thinking about this.  Thanks for your thoughts!

 

Free respecs come along very rarely if at all, but discounted respecs happen multiple times a year. It really depends on whether or not you want to spend gold to respec at level 10 or not. The advantage of waiting means not spending gold, but using the points in the meantime can give you some benefit. I have waffled back and forth on this and currently, with the respec, removed the points on some captains to wait until I get the skill I want. On other captains, like my DDs, I find the lower skills beneficial, so I will respec. YMMV. It's all down to personal preference and if you are rolling in doubloons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,377
[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles

You can use captain XP, commander boosting flags and camos are everywhere. It's way easier and more forgiving than it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
526 posts
6,419 battles

Thanks for the response, Kizarvexis, much more helpful than the "you kids don't know how good you have it these days" attitude from the first two.  ;-)

 

I am trying to be as free-to-play as possible, so no, I am not rolling in doubloons.  I have mostly used them to retrain my 10-point captains when I move them to newly researched ships, and need to consider if the incremental low-point skill addition to my 7-pointers is worth spending doubloons on later re-spec as well.

Edited by Mono_De_Mantequilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,791
[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
1 minute ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Thanks for the response, Kizarvexis, much more helpful than the "you kids don't know how good you have it these days" attitude from the first two.  ;-)

 

I am trying to be as free-to-play as possible, so no, I am not rolling in doubloons.  I have mostly used them to retrain my 10-point captains when I move them to newly researched ships, and need to consider if the incremental skill addition of my 7-pointers is worth spending on later re-spec as well.

 

You're welcome. Yeah, if you are going for cheap as you can, then you might want to hold onto the skill points. Since you can get doubloons in game from containers and events, that might change your plan if you get lucky with a supercontainer. There are also sales on doubloons, so keep an eye out on the store if you get some money to spend on WoWs. I understand that the Black Friday sales usually have some good deals and the Christmas crates last year were pretty good to for getting premium ships and doubloons. I don't know if they will do the Christmas crates again, but I hope they do.

 

For moving captains around a premium ship is a big help. If you know how they work, skip this paragraph. Say you are moving a captain from the T5 New York to the T6 New Mexico. If you also have the Marblehead (T5 Omaha class premium for $15-20 IIRC), you could move the captain to the New Mexico and start training at half XP for 200k silver. You then can finish with doubloons for half the cost or put the captain into the Marblehead with full skills until you worked off the XP training cost. Also by having a premium, you can move a captain from the ship you are grinding into the premium to get another first win bonus. Now the cheapest way to get a premium is from the events where you can earn one, like the current October Revolution event to get that T5 Russian BB. If you need one for a specific nation, then once again, keep an eye on the premium shop for a sale on a premium ship that you want. I HIGHLY, I mean HIGHLY, recommend checking out LittleWhiteMouse's reviews on Premium ships (see below) and to see a youtube video or two about the premium before dropping $$ on it. You want to get the most out of your $$ and buying a premium that doesn't work with your playstyle will not help. You don't have to get a premium ship at all, but it does make the grind a little easier in that you don't have to work a stock ship with a captain at half skills.

 

 

GL&FS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
526 posts
6,419 battles

I have only gotten one supercontainer, not too long after I started playing WOWs.  Unfortunately it contained 100 of the signals that boost your AA firepower, not very useful for someone who (at the time) only had Tier III ships.   ;-)

 

I do know about the premiums ship, and I have seen LWM's reviews, thanks.  Unfortunately (again!) when I signed up for WOWs I did not know about the referral codes that would get you a Diana (and a Texas after you bought a regular Tier VI ship) so I missed out on those.   :-(      I am trying for the Oktober but I am just not good enough it seems to get past that 1600 base XP challenge.  I got +80k damage with two kills for a win in my La Gallisonniere last night but it was only good enough for 1480 base XP or so.  I don't have any higher tier ships, and I just stink in Iron Duke...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,791
[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
9 minutes ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I have only gotten one supercontainer, not too long after I started playing WOWs.  Unfortunately it contained 100 of the signals that boost your AA firepower, not very useful for someone who (at the time) only had Tier III ships.   ;-)

 

I do know about the premiums ship, and I have seen LWM's reviews, thanks.  Unfortunately (again!) when I signed up for WOWs I did not know about the referral codes that would get you a Diana (and a Texas after you bought a regular Tier VI ship) so I missed out on those.   :-(      I am trying for the Oktober but I am just not good enough it seems to get past that 1600 base XP challenge.  I got +80k damage with two kills for a win in my La Gallisonniere last night but it was only good enough for 1480 base XP or so.  I don't have any higher tier ships, and I just stink in Iron Duke...

 

I missed out on the referral codes as well. :( If you get any Christmas cash AND they do the Christmas crates again, people were pretty lucky getting premium ships last year. I had won some money at work in a contest and I got the Shipsgiving super bundle at Black Friday time. I also spent some of my Christmas $ on Christmas crates and got Nikolai I and Gremyashchy, so I got lucky. Some bought Christmas crates and only got flags, doubloons and the like, so not everyone got ships, but enough did that I will see what I can spend then if they do Christmas Crates again. Here's hoping for a ship in a supercontainer for you. :)

 

On the 1,600XP mission, the higher the tier, the easier it is to get. With low tier ships, hopefully you will run into a scrub red team and get the big XP. :)

 

GL&FS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,791
[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
Just now, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Wow, Nikolai and Gremy, super lucky!

 

Well the super bundle got me all the other premium ships available at the time, so those were the only two I didn't have. If I hadn't got the super bundle, I probably would have received other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
735
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,374 posts
6,259 battles
3 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

So my question to all of you more experienced folks is this: do you hold off with unspent skill points until you make it to 10, or do you spend some to learn any additional lower point skills on the way?

That entirely depends on what ships I'm using and how desperate I am in getting those lvl 4 skills.

If for example I am aiming for secondary build for my battleships, then I hold off my unspent points to get the AFT skill or if I want full AA build or if I am in a carrier and want that extra fighter and bomber at lvl 4.

 

You just need to assess how valuable certain lvl 4 skills are to the ships you are using or plan on getting. However i will say that lvl 4 skills at higher tiers are much more valuable to obtain than the lower tiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
735
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,374 posts
6,259 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

 you could move the captain to the New Mexico and start training at half XP for 200k silver. You then can finish with doubloons for half the cost

The doubloons will still remain at the full price of 500 even if you spent 200k credits in reducing the retraining to half the required xp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,791
[PVE]
Members
15,152 posts
9,929 battles
11 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

The doubloons will still remain at the full price of 500 even if you spent 200k credits in reducing the retraining to half the required xp

 

Poopy. It supposedly reduces the Elite Captain XP, but since I don't have a 19 pt captain, I have not tried that yet. Too bad it doesn't reduce the doubloons too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
735
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,374 posts
6,259 battles
20 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

Poopy. It supposedly reduces the Elite Captain XP, but since I don't have a 19 pt captain, I have not tried that yet. Too bad it doesn't reduce the doubloons too.

Wouldn't make sense since the doubloons to credit exchange is 1:1500

 

At 250 doubloons, it would be worth 375,000 credits. 200,000 credits would've been a steal.

 

The retraining doesn't work where it "adds" the remaining xp needed. It changes the state that the captain would be in. The 200k would change the captain's  current percentage to 50%. And the 500 doubloons changes the percentage to 100%. Only elite commander xp can add the xp to the captain retraining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×