Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aeries1

Secondary Fire Detection in Smoke

12 comments in this topic

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles

Just curious if anyone has done any testing on detection ranges while firing secondary's from smoke and holding main battery fire.  Does it work as before and is 2km or caliber based more in the 2.5km range like DDs.?

Example Biz rolls up in smoke holding fire and undetected and cuts loose on enemy's that are detected with secondary's only, what's the spotting distance?

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
928 posts
7,888 battles

I don't know anything myself, but I'd imagine it'd make sense for the detection to go up for whatever the caliber the secondaries are.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,497 posts
10,871 battles

According to the video on the main page on smoke mechanics, secondary battery fire does not do anything to increase detection in smoke.  If your in smoke your not detected if firing secondary batteries only, unless ship is in the perma detect range (2.0?)

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
11 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

According to the video on the main page on smoke mechanics, secondary battery fire does not do anything to increase detection in smoke.  If your in smoke your not detected if firing secondary batteries only, unless ship is in the perma detect range (2.0?)

Hmm, interesting.  Gets the hamster wheel churning for some secondary/division builds. 

[YAN]
Members
1,653 posts
8,051 battles
1 hour ago, Aeries1 said:

Just curious if anyone has done any testing on detection ranges while firing secondary's from smoke and holding main battery fire.  Does it work as before and is 2km or caliber based more in the 2.5km range like DDs.?

Example Biz rolls up in smoke holding fire and undetected and cuts loose on enemy's that are detected with secondary's only, what's the spotting distance?

Did this in my FDG, the Izumo on the receiving end had such a thing fun and engaging game you'd think he detonated.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,987 posts
16,188 battles
37 minutes ago, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

Secondary batteries, torpedoes, and AA fire do not increase your detectability in smoke. Only firing the main battery does.

and I have an issue with this as some German BB will be sitting in smoke, not firing his main battery, and killing people with his secondaries undetected.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

and I have an issue with this as some German BB will be sitting in smoke, not firing his main battery, and killing people with his secondaries undetected.

I can potentially see this, but not using your main battery will severely detriment the damage you're able to do - especially as a battleship. Unless you're a destroyer, the fires from secondaries are probably more dangerous than the raw damage they do.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,987 posts
16,188 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

I can potentially see this, but not using your main battery will severely detriment the damage you're able to do - especially as a battleship. Unless you're a destroyer, the fires from secondaries are probably more dangerous than the raw damage they do.

I'm not worried about where the damage comes from as much as I am a BB sitting in smoke, firing off 10.5K detectable secondaries, and NOT being detected for it.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,484 posts
5,762 battles
25 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I'm not worried about where the damage comes from as much as I am a BB sitting in smoke, firing off 10.5K detectable secondaries, and NOT being detected for it.

Your detection ring in smoke won't increase if your AA guns fire, or if you drop torpedoes. Why should secondaries increase it? I find it rather fair that only the main armament of ships increases the detection radius when in a smokescreen with this change.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,987 posts
16,188 battles
3 hours ago, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

Your detection ring in smoke won't increase if your AA guns fire, or if you drop torpedoes. Why should secondaries increase it?

First, torps have no gun bloom to be identified outside of smoke.

Second, AA guns fire up, and I would be happy if they WERE detected like other guns, according to their size.

Third, your "SECONDARIES" are larger than the primaries of many DD's and CL's, and EQUAL in size to many CA's;

they should share the same detection ranges.

THATS why your secondaries should increase it.

Sign in to follow this