You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

21 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
847 posts
11,589 battles

I know this topic has been brought up before on the forum. The USS Texas is currently in the water as a museum ship. The passage of many years has corroded the hull to the point that the ship needs taken out of the water for repairs.

The plan over the last decade has been to place the ship in permanent dry dock near it's current location however, leak repairs keep using up the funds set aside for completing the dry-dock.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pasadena/news/article/Battleship-Texas-needs-citizens-to-rally-to-save-11750909.php

I believe this would be a great opportunity for Wargaming to help with the fundraising to save the ship. Even a small gesture such as a flag in the premium shop similar to Operation Valor would certainly help out.

The bonus of directly assisting in the repairs would be major marketing worth much more than the initial investment.

USS Texas leaks.jpg

USS Texas corrosion.jpeg

Battleship_Texas_016.jpg

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,285 posts
2,940 battles

I thought I heard somewhere that some portion of the price of the premium Texas goes to the ship, but could be wrong.

It would be nice for WG to come up with something to support the TX, a flag or something. I would definitely buy it.

[5BS]
Members
7,256 posts

Sell the doubleflag enabler for USN Ships (or just USN BB's, whatever they feel is most appropriate). It's cosmetic, so no issues of PTW or altering performance, and it's cosmetic in a way that mostly effects the user, not others.

[DUCC]
Members
2,018 posts
7,105 battles

Just set up a collab like they did for the hurricane. I don't need to buy something to make a donation. It's easier to have WG facilitate it. Draws more attention to the museum as well.

[WOLF8]
Members
379 posts
7,296 battles

Texas is very likely beyond saving.  It's just a matter of time until too much cumulative neglect leads to her demise.

[AR]
Members
359 posts
14,755 battles

Just scrape the whole thing. We have a lot of ships that are Museum pieces already.

Members
650 posts
1,842 battles
13 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

Just scrape the whole thing. We have a lot of ships that are Museum pieces already.

A flippantly ignorant statement. Texas is the only warship of her type and era (WW1 Dreadnought) extant. 

[SIMP]
Members
992 posts
9,219 battles
2 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Just set up a collab like they did for the hurricane. I don't need to buy something to make a donation. It's easier to have WG facilitate it. Draws more attention to the museum as well.

Just donate directly, why involve WG at all.

http://battleshiptexas.org/donate/

Edited by _cthulhu_
  • Cool 2

[ARMDG]
Members
3,243 posts
1,579 battles
29 minutes ago, Aiser50 said:

Yes, let's just scrap a 103 year old warship that's the last of her kind and a survivor of both world wars.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
847 posts
11,589 battles

As the article states, to scrap the ship the cost is around 30 million dollars plus the environmental impact of the oil disposal in the bunkers. Then the items from the ship will need to be stored in a new museum so even more added cost.

Saving the ship is actually the smarter choice.

[PVE]
Members
847 posts
11,589 battles
15 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Note this article:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/assistance-delivered/

Stay tuned for a future charity announcement involving USS Texas -- we're always open for more ways to give back!

Great timing, hopefully we can all come together to save this priceless part of world history from disappearing forever.

Members
36 posts
7,539 battles

She has a famous triple expansion steam engine that is on some historical engineering list. And I think that she was the only battleship to participate in all theaters of action in WWII.

I'd buy a flag to help save her and make a generous gift through WG if they would take this on.

Edited by AdmBilgeWater
add a missing word
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,596 posts
6,100 battles
8 hours ago, SluggerJackson said:

WG should sell the Texas Stars & Stripes camo, and donate it all to save this ship!

They do sell the camo, don’t know if they give part of the proceeds to the museum ship.  

[5IN]
Supertester
1,991 posts
9,325 battles

Having been to visit that grand old lady a few times in my life, and being my first ever Battleship visit as a kid, scrapping her would be a horrible idea.  I've donated elsewhere, but would be more than happy to do so via WG if we can help get her in a better state of preservation.

My hopes would be that if/when they do put her in permanent drydock, they will eventually get her in good enough condition to permit below decks tours.  Even if they were special tours that cost extra, I would be on it in a second if I could check out her engine rooms, barbettes, etc..  Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

b

[B_O_W]
Members
351 posts
6,078 battles

She has an 8 degree list, according to the news article I say today.  Yes, it would cost less to give her a permanent dry dock than to scrap her.  That was a good point by

19 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

As the article states, to scrap the ship the cost is around 30 million dollars plus the environmental impact of the oil disposal in the bunkers. Then the items from the ship will need to be stored in a new museum so even more added cost.

Saving the ship is actually the smarter choice.

The very last of the WWI dreadnoughts that also fought in WWII. That makes it one of the most rare museum warships in existence.

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

This is a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing the link to donate and bringing awareness to this. I hope that everyone can donate something, I'm sure every little bit helps.

• Cool 1

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,438 battles

That's messed up management, whom ever runs that thing need's a boot to the head.

Donate all you want, fact is, if they don't get it out of the water, it's dead.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles

Maybe they should try to get some help from the Feds to get her in a drydock and do some real repairs to buy time until a real solution can be found.