Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thepigeonmaster

tunnel vision

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

18
[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
131 posts
9,372 battles

it keeps to amaze me how many players suffer from tunnel vision

there shooting at full health bb/ca's while in range are ships with exstreme low health they can 1 shot

but they let them live to  shoot at the team or them selfs

example a 200 health yamato ln close and in range of 12 km but the bismark wants to shoot at a full health amagi at 20 km

it ends in the yamato killing the bismark with 2 shots do it giving a full broadside to the yamato

but it gets worse het bismark did not even hitt the amagi with a single shell

and the other ships in game that where still alive none of them wanted to shoot at the yamato they where shooting at soft targets ca/dd

end of game the yamato has 3 kills and has repaired alot of his health and is top player on there side

 

is it tunnel vision do to playing zoomed in all the time or is it just bad players

p.s not weekend play

 

Edited by ozzy0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
523
[SSN]
Supertester
1,230 posts
6,943 battles
9 minutes ago, ozzy0 said:

is it tunnel vision do to playing zoomed in all the time or is it just bad players

p.s not weekend play

 

Its not tunnel vision sadly, it's bad players most of the time.  They may not be entirely bad but just not fully engaged as to how the game works or what their roll in the mission is.  A lot of it is selfishness as well.  The biggest problem is only about 15% of the players in the game actually read and participate in the forums until they get mad and come to the forums to rage or come up with some conspiracy that the game is rigged or some player is cheating.

I had the same thing you experienced last night do you are not alone in this.  I just try to do the best I can, communicate with the team and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,876
[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,793 posts
4,575 battles

I had that happen once before in my Yorck. Two Gneisenaus were too busy to shoot me, while I kept lighting them up with HE. It was fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles

It happens to everyone at one time or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,384 posts
48 minutes ago, ozzy0 said:

here shooting at full health bb/ca's while in range are ships with exstreme low health they can 1 shot

For me its all about what is going on in the game.  Are other players shooting it, if so I really don't want to waste a shot on a very low health ship when I can use my damage to full potential.  Nothing annoys me more than seeing a low health ship and a couple of CAs nearby shooting at a full health ship.  Take out that low health ship and let me use my heavy shots for better effect.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
377 posts
6,020 battles

Happens to all of us. I've had times in which I was desperate for the kill and got blindsided by another ship. My term for these kind of events is Loss of Situational Awareness or LOSA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
203
[NSEW]
Members
1,101 posts

Tunnel vision is a natural human mechanism. It takes practice and training to learn situational awareness. This goes beyond this game, and in real life scenarios. People who are current/ex forces, to law enforcement, FPS players, and small number of people (in my experience) tend to have a more tuned awareness through practice/experience. Your average "John/Jane doe" has yet to fully utilise it, even if their brains picks it up.

 

I can't blame players for failing to not be cognisant of their (immediate) surroundings. Having said this however. The game has mechanisms to assist heavily in their awareness. Such as Last known location marker, Ship markers, Terrain. Heck anything from the mini map, and on the main screen & chat. 

If they fail to take on board the prudent information it gives us, then they will have a higher learning curve ahead for their progression. Unfortunately, most of the time it directly impacts to the win vs loss of the game, multiplied.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I believe a lot of "this ship type is op/up" complaints come about due to poor situational awareness. Not securing kills, showing broadside to battleships, not changing speed or course when detected by an invisible ship, prematurely using DCP, only to be set on fire again the moment it expires. Taking no action whatsoever when planes are headed your way.

Edited by cometguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[USMC-]
Members
155 posts
5,694 battles
27 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

For me its all about what is going on in the game.  Are other players shooting it, if so I really don't want to waste a shot on a very low health ship when I can use my damage to full potential.  Nothing annoys me more than seeing a low health ship and a couple of CAs nearby shooting at a full health ship.  Take out that low health ship and let me use my heavy shots for better effect.

^This.

 A BB alpha damage salvo is wasted on a low health ship. Faster MB loading ships should be working these over. I routinely pass on these targets in a BB to hit other targets of opportunity. However, be aware that if no one is actively engaging the low health target then you need to secure the kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,756
[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles
9 minutes ago, cthuhulu said:

^This.

 A BB alpha damage salvo is wasted on a low health ship. Faster MB loading ships should be working these over. I routinely pass on these targets in a BB to hit other targets of opportunity. However, be aware that if no one is actively engaging the low health target then you need to secure the kill.

I understand the desire to not "waste" a full BB volley on a low health ship.  OTOH, I look at getting ships sunk as a very high priority item, since even most near dead ships can fire all their guns or torps and do major damage to your team mates.  So, if I see that there are team mates already firing on the near dead ship, I'll hold my fire (in a BB).  But if I think that the near dead ship is being ignored, I will definitely attempt to finish it off, even at the cost of "wasting" full BB volleys.  It's more important to me that the enemy ship is sunk than getting bothered about wasted volleys.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,676
[TNG-3]
Members
2,229 posts
11,295 battles

Why do below average capable people perform in a below average manner?  Because they lack the tools (physical and/or mental), are casual in their play-style, and/or lack enough self-respect (being content with subpar performance while drawing little to no connection of how it reflects on them as a person; not necessarily how it reflects on others but even how they feel about themselves) to perform at or above average.

 

Most of the time it's a combination of more than one of those factors.  Think about it.  Right off the bat, roughly 50% of a large sample-sized (thousands) population naturally are below average intelligence.  Of those people, there is a percentage (debatable how many but it doesn't matter) of them that are casual players.  Others (including some of those casuals) lack or have very little self-respect.

 

I differentiate casual from self-respect because you can have casual players that still hold themselves to a respectable standard.  They may just be below average because they don't play often enough, haven't gone through the learning curve, or have physical and/or mental barriers that are keeping them from performing at or above average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
131 posts
9,372 battles
1 hour ago, cthuhulu said:

^This.

 A BB alpha damage salvo is wasted on a low health ship. Faster MB loading ships should be working these over. I routinely pass on these targets in a BB to hit other targets of opportunity. However, be aware that if no one is actively engaging the low health target then you need to secure the kill.

u can shoot with only 1 gun and save the rest for yout other tatget

lwving a ship alive that has the fire power to 1 shot u is a bad thin in my book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[CYPHR]
[CYPHR]
Members
131 posts
9,372 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

Why do below average capable people perform in a below average manner?  Because they lack the tools (physical and/or mental), are casual in their play-style, and/or lack enough self-respect (being content with subpar performance while drawing little to no connection of how it reflects on them as a person; not necessarily how it reflects on others but even how they feel about themselves) to perform at or above average.

 

Most of the time it's a combination of more than one of those factors.  Think about it.  Right off the bat, roughly 50% of a large sample-sized (thousands) population naturally are below average intelligence.  Of those people, there is a percentage (debatable how many but it doesn't matter) of them that are casual players.  Others (including some of those casuals) lack or have very little self-respect.

 

I differentiate casual from self-respect because you can have casual players that still hold themselves to a respectable standard.  They may just be below average because they don't play often enough, haven't gone through the learning curve, or have physical and/or mental barriers that are keeping them from performing at or above average.

win rate is not every thing avarige damage is 

u kan have a high win rate but sitl have low avarige attack

and don't forget for every good/ great player in the game there has to be a bad player to or u wont be able to be super

Edited by ozzy0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,384 posts
44 minutes ago, ozzy0 said:

u can shoot with only 1 gun and save the rest for yout other tatget

lwving a ship alive that has the fire power to 1 shot u is a bad thin in my book

My problem is I fire 1 gun, and almost always miss that shot in a BB, then I have to fire a second, and a third and before I know it I have fired the entire load thanks to RNG.  Its not like a CA, most BBs average 25-30% hit rate (personally I go between a 28-35% in a BB and 38-50% in a CA), that means to get 1 hit to sink that low health target they need 4 shells, which usually means two turrets which will take roughly 30 seconds to reload (depending on the BB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,676
[TNG-3]
Members
2,229 posts
11,295 battles
42 minutes ago, ozzy0 said:

win rate is not every thing avarige damage is 

u kan have a high win rate but sitl have low avarige attack

and don't forget for every good/ great player in the game there has to be a bad player to or u wont be able to be super

 

Not sure how any of that is relevant to what I said, nor do I agree with your first premise.  All stats matter in determining the overall performance of a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,384 posts
30 minutes ago, zuga_01 said:

Its a BB thing. Most of them wouldn't be playing BBs if they had "intelligence"!!!?

So, what's the CAs excuse, cause i see this with them doing this just as often, if not more often than a BB.  Or that DD captain which runs aground not once, but twice in a matter of seconds?  (And we're not talking low tier players here.)

Though thinking about this, it does beg the question what was the OP doing at this time?  What ship was he in?  How far away was he, and who was he shooting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
472
[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,193 battles
2 hours ago, ozzy0 said:

win rate is not every thing avarige damage is 

u kan have a high win rate but sitl have low avarige attack

and don't forget for every good/ great player in the game there has to be a bad player to or u wont be able to be super

Winning is what counts, i could sit at the back and farm 120k from just one BB and not kill it or any other ship in the game and not cap, be the last one alive and top of the scoreboard on my losing team.

After a certain amount of battles winrate becomes more about your actions and not the luck of the draw on being on the good or bad side and if the win rate is below 50% then what ever a person is doing is resulting in more losses than wins and the team is not to blame for that, that 120K worth could of been some cruises and some dds dead which if far more useful to the team as a whole and a greater help to winning the battle.

Last week a 44% winrate shima player was having a go at me for my actions in my 52% winrate shima, i told him  the sort of play he wanted me to make will result in my death as the low health dd he wanted me to gun down had a neptune , des and a bismarck for backup, so to prove a point i took out the lower health than me dd and seconds later i die to the other 3 ships resulting in the loss of the game, the thing is he wanted me the play my shima has if it was a Khabarovsk hence why he has ok ish Khabarovsk stats but nothing to right home about and very bad shima stats because he does not understand how to play the shima and that the shima is best played not seen as much as possible and trading yourself for another dd is not what's its about.

Edited by Final8ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,384 posts
11 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Winning is what counts, i could sit at the back and farm 120k from just one BB and not kill it or any other ship in the game and not cap, be the last one alive and top of the scoreboard on my losing team.

Yes and no.

I look at how well I do based upon average damage for that ship.  If my team wins, and I'm in a ship I average 60k of damage in, and I only did 20, sank no ships, did no caps, I might have well lost in my mind because I sucked.  However, if I do 150k of damage, sink some ships, do a cap or two, and we lose, I still feel good because I did well.

You could say its looking at 2 different games.  One is the W-L stat for the team, the other is a W-L personal satisfaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
284 posts
11,788 battles
4 hours ago, cometguy said:

I believe a lot of "this ship type is op/up" complaints come about due to poor situational awareness. Not securing kills, showing broadside to battleships, not changing speed or course when detected by an invisible ship, prematurely using DCP, only to be set on fire again the moment it expires. Taking no action whatsoever when planes are headed your way.

You beat me to it!

:etc_red_button:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
284 posts
11,788 battles
1 hour ago, zuga_01 said:

Its a BB thing. Most of them wouldn't be playing BBs if they had "intelligence"!!!?

Man! that's cold.

My feelings hurt:Smile_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
472
[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,193 battles
29 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Yes and no.

I look at how well I do based upon average damage for that ship.  If my team wins, and I'm in a ship I average 60k of damage in, and I only did 20, sank no ships, did no caps, I might have well lost in my mind because I sucked.  However, if I do 150k of damage, sink some ships, do a cap or two, and we lose, I still feel good because I did well.

You could say its looking at 2 different games.  One is the W-L stat for the team, the other is a W-L personal satisfaction.

You dont understand what im saying and its clear by the fact you did not include the rest of the quote thus lost the context, there are other ships that i could of killed but instead i chose to just H.E spam a BB resulting in the loss of the game because i could of killed 3 cruisers and a DD which would of resulted in me doing the same amount of damage and won the game thus getting more credits and XP for the same amount of total damage.

The problem is there are too many players just trying to farm damage and not win, hence circle j-ing far away from the caps max ranging, OI DDs get  those caps and hold them all by yourself while we farm from way back and if we lose its the DDs fault.

Edited by Final8ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,384 posts

Actually, not really.  You seem to want to place a lot of emphasis on W/L stats, otherwise why write your first couple of words, "winning is what counts", which is what my main comment was directed at, not the rest of it.  The rest of your comment I viewed as fluff and a rant at one specific type of player.  As a result, I saw no need to include it, or you didn't convey your message very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
177
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
827 posts
7,471 battles

Tunnel vision is a thing. Most stay zoomed in and refuse to look at the mini-map or what is around them.

In a game I just saw a New Orleans die from 4 torps from a Shima that were spotted when they launched. He sailed straight into them, whilst three other ships evaded. His excuse was lol, tunnel vision I was focused on a BB......

Really what more can a team do if a player gets to higher tiers and refuses to learn some basic game concepts....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×