You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
hangglide42

WOWS Enjoyment - Goodies for 2018 (as of Oct 2017)

6 comments in this topic

hangglide42    256

Hi All! Hangglide42 here again with something different this time - If you're a new player, have you ever found yourself saying:

• < expletive deleted > - I can't participate in that missions since I can't get those ships by a week from now when it starts...
  • <expletive deleted > - I wanted the Nelson, but I just spent my Free XP upgrading past that [ name your hated ship ]...

I've played this game now for about 2 1/2 years and over this period of time, there are patterns to WGs release strategies, campaigns, Ranked Battle seasons, etc that can give you a heads up in preparing to have the right ships in port, get ports cheaper and anticipate release timelines so you don't miss out on WGs offerings when they hit you (sometimes with relatively short notice).

A complete list of Forum Articles in the links below can be found in WOWS Enjoyment - List of Forum Articles & Guides.

General Patterns:

Some background - WG is a multinational company that has 4 main regions.  Russia, the European Union (EU),  North America (NA) and Southeast Asia (SEA).  Each region, though globally coordinated with major promos and releases (e.g. Gamescon timed ship lines, etc.) have their own independent promotions, timings, sales events etc.   So something happening on the EU shop/server won't necessarily reflect in the NA shop/server.

Because most promos and even the game itself originates in Russia - there are sometimes translation issues that occur when you see something on the website or in particular details of Mission Tasks & Campaigns.  The following are examples of what I mean:

• When the UK BBs were promo revealed - the labeling for secondary batteries were translated (probably pretty literally) as anti-mine weapons which led to speculation that a new weapon type might be introduced along w/ the British BBs.
  • The recent October Revolution missions contain a translation problem where the game states one of the mission tasks is to "win 3 battles and be in the top 5 of your team for any one battle".  This is incorrect as to what the actual mission is which is "win 3 battles in which you are in the Top-5 for your team".  This is not an uncommon occurence so double check items, especially if they deal with purchase decisions.

Now - what to look for....

Ports go on sale about 3-4X a year - this is a great chance to get double your moneys worth in ports (50% off for 150 doubloons) - as you play the game, you will find the original 9 ports your start with will be restrictive (especially if you want to complete missions & campaigns faster) and this is a good opportunity to stock up on your port needs.

FreeXP conversion sales happen about 3X a year - if you can't stand the grind to the Missouri or Nelson & want to convert your Elite (ship) XP (earned on fully researched ships in the tech tree) to FreeXP for this reason, many want to take advantage of the sale which gives you a 35:1 conversion rate (35 Elite XP converted per doubloon) rather than the standard 25:1 rate.  These are generally spaced pretty evenly around the year so if it's been a 2-3 months since the last one, keep your eye out for this sale.

WG often telegraphs upcoming events w/ their mission/campaign giveaways - WG would like to see you participate in upcoming events so a precursor mission involving a particular ship tier is often a "Tell" as to what may be happening shortly.   Case in point, in Dec 2016, WG ran the "Santas Convoy Mission" - this was a successor (and tied) to the Graf Spee Mission - the Santas Convoy Missions gave you 5 T6 ships.  Along w/ the Spee, this was a lot of earnable T6 ships and in 2017, we had the T6 Ranked Battle season.   Recently, WG offered a number of nice permanent cammos that were focused on T8 ships (Kiev, Monarch, etc) - Clan Battles has now started & you need to have played a T8 ship to unlock the T10 rental ships to participate.  Also, the next anticipated Ranked Season would likely be T8 when it happens (since T7, 6 were played last).  If you pay attention to these signs and take advantage of the missions to get the ships etc, you can be positioned for the next event season in the upcoming months.

100% or 200% XP Weekends often happen on key regional Holiday weekends or large event anniversaries - If you're looking to play on these weekends to take advantage of the larger than normal progress you can make in your tech-tree grind, WG's Anniversary or a major Holiday weekend (US July 4th) are often times to expect these bonuses.

Xmas/the Holidays are coming...In the US, the period from Thanksgiving to New Years often brings a couple of WG goodies:

• Santas Crates - these are a means to buy for yourself or gift $1/$3/$5 Gift Boxes (essentially a type of Container) that contain something worth more than what you would pay for if you were to try to buy it in the store (if you even could, since some of the ships are no longer sold).  These were usually pretty useful last year and ranged from Cammos, Premium Time to free Ships (I got 5 free ships - if you get a duplicate, WG gives you the doubloon price equivalent instead).  Last year (anecdotally based on seeing the forum posts), the $3 boxes seemed to give the best rewards for your money.  This is also the only way you can currently get ships that have been removed from sale such as the Gremy, LoYang, Nikolai, and now the Kutuzov & Belfast.
  • Holiday Mission/Campaign Series - In past years this has been the case since WG anticipates the vacation time availability to play the game more during the holidays.  This is usually a time to pick up some really nice mission rewards - 6 ships including one that was a Premium plus cammo which boosted XP gains was a really nice bonus during the 2016 holiday period.

WG's Release Pattern - The following is not cast in stone, but has been WG's pattern for the past 2 years and it's likely that 2018 will be a close variation of it.

• 2-3 Major Ship Lines a year (French BBs, Italian Cruisers, some DD line?, Russian BBs?)
  • 1 Line split a year (possibly US Cruiser)
  • A number of Premium Ships
  • Most anticipated splash (Line or Premium Ships) around Gamescon (biggest industy event for them) in Late August
  • 1 FreeXP Ship (Missouri (750K) in 2016, Nelson (375K) in 2017).  There are rumors that the Musashi (T9 Premium IJN BB) may be a FreeXP ship which, if true would be a price point around the Missouri's +/- (most likely) - but treat this as speculation at this point.  If you're interested in whatever next year's FreeXP premium turns out to be, keep this in mind and start saving your FreeXP (or be watching for the conversion sales).
  • A new permanent Campaign (see link on ships to have pt1/goodies pt2 & how to complete a campaign more efficiently) - There are currently 3 active w/ the Yamamoto Campaign added this year.
  • A number of temporary Campaigns (see link on ships to have pt1/goodies pt2 & how to complete a campaign more efficiently) - Recently, we've had the Graf Spee, Santas Convoy, Hunt for Bismarck.
  • 3 seasons of a combination of Clan Battles/Ranked Battles - For Ranked Seasons, it's nice to know what tier it will be played at so you can prep your ships in port w/ suitable captains (or earn the ships by the time the season starts)
  • There is a Clash of Fire type competitive server-wide event (in 2017 it was the Clash of Fire in 2016 it was a mission to collect Pearls).  This year, Clash of Fire rewarded the Top 100 players on the server over a 3 wk period in 5 different categories - the end-goal was to earn enough to get a Kamikaze-R Premium DD (not sold and a good trainer).  The positioning for these events is similar to how to most efficiently execute a campaign in terms of what ships to use.  However, this event is very time consuming and play heavy so I don't consider this one for most players who can't invest the amount of time to get the "final reward" in this event.

That's the summary - hope this helps give you a 'Heads Up!" as to what to expect in the near future and hopefully, you'll have not problems in participating in some of the goodies WG is preparing for you.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 9

Ace_04    805

Excellent post, Hangglide.  Definitely worth reading if you're not already familiar with the ins and outs of this game.

SaltyRat    7

Why should I have to guess or speculate as to what is coming down the pipe? Why is it always such a mystery what is coming, such as what tier will be active for ranked? The idea that we dont get a heads up is just a joke and it should not be that way. When I have to play games like this in order to get the most out of a game it does not impress me in the least. Many of the things this developer does is so far out in left field as it is keeping details about some of these things an insider secret is a joke at best!

• Cool 1

hangglide42    256
9 hours ago, SaltyRat said:

Why should I have to guess or speculate as to what is coming down the pipe? Why is it always such a mystery what is coming, such as what tier will be active for ranked? The idea that we dont get a heads up is just a joke and it should not be that way. When I have to play games like this in order to get the most out of a game it does not impress me in the least. Many of the things this developer does is so far out in left field as it is keeping details about some of these things an insider secret is a joke at best!

Hey Salty - +1 in sharing your sentiments which reflect the frustrations of probably a number of players. 

I think there are a category of problems that are WG operational issues that create more frustration w/ their player base than is needed and detracts from player satisfaction w/ the game.  If WG has too many of these, they will pay for it in their bottom line wrt Player Base frustration.  The issue w/ these items is that they should be relatively easy to avoid/fix. Examples of these are:

• The language translations issues that lead to confusion as to mission objectives and players not sure if their game is not working properly when they completed an objective when it was a bug in the translation as to what the stated mission was.
  • Bugs related to mission completion indication (e.g. multiple part tasks that only showed status bars that reflected one part of the task, but not the other so players had no clue as to what completion goal they were missing)
  • Bugs related to issuing game rewards (e.g. multiple task missions that upon completion of one phase showed a reset of the tasks until you exited and reentered the game which updated the UI to the accurate completion status -- misleading many players into thinking all their efforts they just put into their successful tasks were wasted)
  • Bugs related to the actual issuing of rewards (e.g. some well known players/forum posters didn't get their Yamamoto Commander upon mission completion)
  • The infamous "Unplayable Release Bug" - there was a release issued (I believe it was in 2015/2016, that was literally unplayable because the ship identifiers weren't tied to the ship movements - an emergency next day patch had to be distributed along w/ a Premium Day's compensation for the problem.
  • Promo missions/rewards across regions creating player dissent - In general, the Russian Server Players get better rewards/easier task objectives than (in order) SEA/NA with EU generally having the most restrictive/hardest mission tasks for their rewards.  WG needs to make sure there is at least some level of equivalency in the marketing/promos for mission tasking/game rewards across regions to avoid the "Santa's Convoy" blow-up (EU players had a untenable Campaign vs. what the other 3 regions got initially until there was enough Player anger that the 4 regions more or less got the same Campaign terms)

In fairness to WG, they have gotten a quite a bit better at (to the best of their ability) pre-announcing up to a month or two in advance development releases and calendar events thru the following means:

• The Monthly Calendar - is a nice addition that gives you a heads up summary of Missions/Promos to expect during the month giving us some time to plan gameplay time - or if you're a glass half empty type - get frustrated that you won't be able to take part in something because real-life takes priority over a Ship Discount Weekend...:). 
  • You usually see the following when Ship Lines/Splits occur:
    • Ship Releases are teased in Developer Blogs (months before an actual release)
    • Community Contributors (CCs) start early w/ WIP postings (a month or two before actual release)
    • You'll see Supertesters w/ New Ships in-game (couple of months before actual release)
    • Ship appears on the Public Test (PT) Server w/ the relevant website info (within a update or two of release).  Tho the release is near, the following can impact how many releases down the line you'll see the content.
      • A second round of PT (if balance issues or changes are needed after the 1st Round)
      • Release timing priorities (e.g. the Halloween event/Clan Battles release introduced too much to add; the additional size & risk of having the Pan-Asians in the same release probably resulted in it being bumped an update)
    • Ship appears in the tech-tree w/ the SOON tag in-game (a one or two updates before actual release)
    • CCs Final Reviews (release is imminent in next update)
  • Large events such as Ranked/Clan Battles, Clash of Fire are posted on the website at least a month or more before the actual event giving some heads up in preparation for these types of game features

Apart from this, if you've ever been involved in any type of Commercial SW Development Cycle (I worked in the hi-tech industry in development & Sr. Mgmt for over 30 yrs) - what WG does w/ balancing keeping us informed, while giving themselves flexibility to adjust their release content is reasonable for a F2P game company.  When hard dates take priority of completing the necessary testing or evaluation process, blow-ups like the Graf Zepplin release occur.

The forum article I posted is just a distillation of what I can see is WG's release strategies & patterns as best can be discerned from various sources available on the web as of Oct 2017 looking out into what's on the table for 2018. It's designed to help newer players to the game wrt what to look for to better position themselves to participate in in-game events and rewards. 

WG has a development release roadmap (i.e. what they want to build in what order, w/ certain content for that "must make splash" Gamescon date), and this posting is kind of a look into what the actual release process is for WG - as such, they can give us the heads up they give us, but if they were to publish a 2018 calendar, it would be pointless since it would undoubtedly change virutally guaranteeing player ire (and also restrict their ability to shift development priorities, if needed).

Even publishing a calendar for Clan Battles/Ranked Battles would probably be subject to change as to be meaningless for now since:

• At the moment it appears that you will have a Ranked Battle Season or Clan Battle Season, but not both concurrently
  • If the 1st Season of Clan Battles has issues (and many are predicting issues - including the ship mix (i.e. no CVs, 1 BB), T10 nature of battles, available times of the Battles - very bad for West Coast NA players)) - tweaks may have to be made after evaluating the 1st season. 
  • This could impact the decision on when and how many Clan Battle seasons you'd have in 2018, as well as it's format.
  • Unless Ranked & Clan Battles are decoupled, this would impact the Ranked schedule which would probably be used instead of another Clan Battle season.

In general, they have gotten better (other than some of the operational problems that should be fixed) w/ a lot of the communication/promo stuff - as best they can given how the F2P content update model constantly evolves.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 2