Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JDS_Mirai

How to edit ship textures? where are the .dds files? (all the tutorials are old and outdated)

5 comments in this topic

Members
87 posts
4,226 battles

I want to start learn to start modding but all the tutorials are either years outdated from 2015 or 2016 or not longer relevant or working for me. 

I currently need help in...

Learning how to edit the textures for ships:

I used the latest unpacker GUI (if that is even the right/relevant thing I should be downloading nowadays...) and for the life of me, when viewing the files in the unpacker, I can not find the .dds texture files for the ships as shown in this video...

The only files that are listed as .dds are camoflage files and not the actual ship textures. I've read older topics as well on how to do it, but they're all saying the same thing.... it says unpack the files which were in the content>gameplay>NATION>ship>SHIPTYPE>texture section or something like that, but there is only .primitive files in there and folder structures are a little different in 0.6.12.0.1....

So, how do I start? 

Edited by JDS_mirai

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,122 posts
4,270 battles

I can see the dds files just fine, are you sure you're looking in the right folder?

for example I want to look up the dds file for the new Italy battleship Giulio Cesare

I go to content/gameplay/italy/ship/battleship/textures folder and unpack ISB001_Giulio_Cesare_1943_a.dds

other example, for Montana

content/gameplay/usa/ship/battleship/textures/ASB017_Montana_a.dds and ASB017_Montana_Deckhouse_a.dds

if you can't find these files, then it clear you're doing something wrong

Members
87 posts
4,226 battles
12 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

I can see the dds files just fine, are you sure you're looking in the right folder?

for example I want to look up the dds file for the new Italy battleship Giulio Cesare

I go to content/gameplay/italy/ship/battleship/textures folder and unpack ISB001_Giulio_Cesare_1943_a.dds

other example, for Montana

content/gameplay/usa/ship/battleship/textures/ASB017_Montana_a.dds and ASB017_Montana_Deckhouse_a.dds

if you can't find these files, then it clear you're doing something wrong

I'm actually using the unpacker from your signature and the tutorial there, but when using the unpacker, all I see is .primitive files in those containing folders. There is no .dds files there. Unsure what I am doing wrong.

Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing.. when looking for the Giulio Cesare you mentioned...

https://imgur.com/a/Q2MWI

Edit** Actually the Giulio Cesare has texture folders for .dds as shown! (wierd) BUT when I go back to any say IJN DD's (or any older ship lines) there are no such texture folders only the primitives as mentioned... where are they hiding the texture folders?

The IJN Akatsuki ship folder for example not showing the textures folders but only primitives and lods

https://imgur.com/a/p1K1s

Edited by JDS_mirai

Modder
137 posts
6,434 battles

You're not looking in the right folder--you need to go one folder deeper.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list of ships, and find the one called "textures".

Members
87 posts
4,226 battles
6 minutes ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

You're not looking in the right folder--you need to go one folder deeper.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list of ships, and find the one called "textures".

Oh god. I found it. The texture folder was right on the bottom of the list of ships and not in the initial ships folder where I've been looking... thank you. I guess problem solved. :)

Edited by JDS_mirai

Sign in to follow this