Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Flaxin_Waxin

Questions From a Landlubber

14 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
78 battles

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie here and I have some questions for anyone willing to answer. I just came over from WoT, so my nautical know-how is minimal. What I do know comes from watching Jingles videos, so I know some ships and the basics, but the finer points are lost to me. I played all my tier I ships, but couldn't decide where to go next. So I thought I'd not be a noob and ask on here before I went any further.

I want to go down one line of each type, but I'm not sure what's good for a newbie and what's not. For Battleships I can't decide between German battleships (German fanboy who wants to own the Bismarck) or American (Apparently I get a Tier V premium Texas at some point for using my buddy's invite code?) For cruisers, it's either German or British. I'm not sure if these are new-player-friendly lines though, I know Brits only get AP. For Destroyers I was thinking either American or Russian, as I've heard the Japanese don't get very good guns. No interest in carriers right now, they seem hard.

So I have the Tier II Diana already, and the first battle I played was a 22k damage game, I kinda like it. What I do want to know is how premium ships work. I know there are Captains, which kind of function like a tank crew in WoT. Can premiums train captains from the same nation like on WoT, and do they need to be the same type (I.e. Destroyer captains in premium destroyers). Is the Texas any good, and does it mean I should go for the Americans? My favorite Tier I is the Black Swan by far. I like the rapid rate of fire and all the citadels (Kind of like non-insta-kill ammo racks?). My best game was in that ship, 24k damage and 7 out of 8 kills (So close to the 8) in a co-op match. While it was against bots, I found I had a lot of fun in the Swan. I'm not sure if 24k is good or bad for a Tier I in this game, I don't think damage like that is even possible in WoT.

Thanks for your help,

Flaxin_Waxin (Not a noob)

Edited by Flaxin_Waxin
  • Cool 1

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,552 battles

You can put a captain from any ship of that nation into a premium without retraining it can be a DD a BB a CV or CA doesn't matter. Premiums also earn more Credits and XP and function as crew trainers also they're nice for that.

Hope it helps 

Edited by yamato6945

Members
6 posts
78 battles
2 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

You can put a captain from any ship of that nation into a premium without retraining it can be a DD a BB a CV or CA doesn't matter. Premiums also earn more Credits and XP and function as crew trainers also they're nice for that.

Hope it helps 

Ah yes, that does help. So I could quite easily use the Texas or Diana to train my USN/Russian destroyers ahead of time. Useful. Also the credit making on the Diana doesn't seem half bad, 49,000 credits for a 22k damage game

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,552 battles
1 minute ago, Flaxin_Waxin said:

Ah yes, that does help. So I could quite easily use the Texas or Diana to train my USN/Russian destroyers ahead of time. Useful. Also the credit making on the Diana doesn't seem half bad, 49,000 credits for a 22k damage game

Yep nice thing about premiums they always have lower repair cost's. so you rarely lose credits running them 

Members
6 posts
78 battles
1 minute ago, yamato6945 said:

Yep nice thing about premiums they always have lower repair cost's. so you rarely lose credits running them 

The Diana also seems insanely durable, armor ate AP hits like no one's business.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,552 battles
Just now, Flaxin_Waxin said:

The Diana also seems insanely durable, armor ate AP hits like no one's business.

She has her con's lack of speed for one check the wiki great place to get info on any ships you are researching. 

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles

Well, if you want a true newbie's set of ships, I'd probably recommend the US lines.  

Every nation's ships have a disctinctive flavor but American ships are sort of the jack of all trades, master of none.  If you're going to play, for example, a different nation's cruisers, you're going to have to learn torpedo tactics to play them to their full potential.  That's not generally the case with US cruisers (Omaha and Phoenix have them, but they are honestly more of an afterthought on those vessels and you'll do the vast majority of your damage with their guns). 

US Battleships are slow but with good armor and good guns. They don't need any specialized skill to play, just get the basics down and your good to go. 

US destroyers are probably the best gun destroyers in the game (Germans are pretty good to) which means even if you don't immediately latch on to how to torpedo, you can still be effective.  You don't have to learn long range torpedo sniping tactics  but they are also long ranged enough so you don't have to get into suicide knife fighting range to use them (as you would with a Russian DD).  Once again, pretty middle of the road.

I'm not saying that other lines don't have some pretty fantastic ships because they do, but all in all as a group, and I'm not going to guarantee that you'll find your fighting style best fits them, but the easiest ones out there to learn how to operate effectively are probably the Americans. 

Hope that's helpful. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 2

Members
6 posts
78 battles
5 minutes ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Well, if you want a true newbie's set of ships, I'd probably recommend the US lines.  

Every nation's ships have a disctinctive flavor but American ships are sort of the jack of all trades, master of none.  If you're going to play, for example, a different nation's cruisers, you're going to have to learn torpedo tactics to play them to their full potential.  That's not generally the case with US cruisers (Omaha and Phoenix have them, but they are honestly more of an afterthought on those vessels and you'll do the vast majority of your damage with their guns). 

US Battleships are slow but with good armor and good guns. They don't need any specialized skill to play, just get the basics down and your good to go. 

US destroyers are probably the best gun destroyers in the game (Germans are pretty good to) which means even if you don't immediately latch on to how to torpedo, you can still be effective.  You don't have to learn long range torpedo sniping tactics  but they are also long ranged enough so you don't have to get into suicide knife fighting range to use them (as you would with a Russian DD).  Once again, pretty middle of the road.

I'm not saying that other lines don't have some pretty fantastic ships because they do, but all in all as a group, and I'm not going to guarantee that you'll find your fighting style best fits them, but the easiest ones out there to learn how to operate effectively are probably the Americans. 

Hope that's helpful. 

It is helpful. I've heard some mixed reviews about the American ships. Such as the Pensacola being called the "Pepsi-Cola," for it's infamous squishiness, and most American Battleships seem renowned for their mediocrity. American destroyers do seem good though, so I'll probably go for those. I'm still leaning towards German battleships and cruisers though...

Brit Cruisers maybe too.

Beta Testers
2,463 posts
5,647 battles

Battleships:
I'd start German. They're very strong, with durable armor, decent guns that reload quite fast at several tiers, good AA at higher tiers, and amazing secondaries. Secondaries are a huge deal for a battleship because they lay fire down while you reload.

The Texas is a pretty good tier 5 battleship, the New York is a meh ship overall but the Texas slaps a ton of AA on it. And since lower tiers tend to have a decent population of carriers, that AA will be used quite often.

Cruisers:
I'd have to lean British. They're probably one of the harder lines to play in the game, but the lack of HE is made up by depleted uranium AP rounds. They punch hard and have pretty high penetration values. Play them similar to a destroyer and the rest will come with time.

Destroyers:
You picked the two best lines ATM. It's a toss-up between teamplay & utility (America) or fire support & repair burning (USSR). American destroyers excel at pretty much everything, and have the longest lasting smokescreens in the game, making them great for blanketing large areas to deny enemy vision. USSR destroyers are fast, large, and stay at range - firing HE to make battleships either burn or blow a repair when they don't need to.

CoOp is a good place to start learning, but once you get comfortable with the controls and gameplay I'd really reccomend random. Your rewards will be significantly higher.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,864 posts
11,578 battles

For starters:

BB- German BBs are very noob friendly, Good first BB line.

DD- USN is probably a good starter line as they are flexible.

CL- French, they are good and loads of fun. I think the RN CLs are a bit a a challenge and maybe not the best place to start.

I recommend playing around though, no need to focus in my opinion. Try it all on and see what fits.

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles

Did anyone say Welcome to the forums?  Welcome and well met, Captain!  Have fun and good hunting!

Can't add much to what the others have already suggested.  It's really a matter of you trying different ship-types from different countries and see what you are most comfortable playing with.  I actually prefer the IJN DDs because they are stealthy and their torpedoes do well.  However, the guns are not very effective.  I think Kapitan_Wuff's suggestion regarding USN DDs is good if you are not wanting to specialize attributes and like a gunboat-type of DD.

I grinded the USN lines (just because I was more familiar with them) and am just getting going in other country's ships (outside of the IJN DDs, that is).  The Texas is one of my favorite ships.

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles

On the CV end of things, if you go there; play both Langley and Hosho.

Langley because the tougher squads tend to be more forgiving for newer players; and Hosho for more advanced torpedo use, and when you're ready for more of a challenge. (Langley can bully a Hosho to death; but it isn't all one-sided if the Hosho plays smart.)

Look up 'Fara's carrier guide' on youtube when you're ready to try carriers.

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,167 battles
21 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

On the CV end of things, if you go there; play both Langley and Hosho.

Langley because the tougher squads tend to be more forgiving for newer players; and Hosho for more advanced torpedo use, and when you're ready for more of a challenge. (Langley can bully a Hosho to death; but it isn't all one-sided if the Hosho plays smart.)

Look up 'Fara's carrier guide' on youtube when you're ready to try carriers.

I have looked at that guide, is there a good carrier guide that is not as long as an HBO miniseries? I don't especially want to spend like 12 hours of my life watching a guide on 1 of 4 ship classes.

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles
35 minutes ago, Herodotus4 said:

I have looked at that guide, is there a good carrier guide that is not as long as an HBO miniseries? I don't especially want to spend like 12 hours of my life watching a guide on 1 of 4 ship classes.

True that...

It's actually one of the newest. Best advice otherwise is to search 'How to CV,' iChase, and Noster I think may be two of the creators that come up; probably a few others, but take those with a grain of salt, because they may be getting a little long in the tooth... (Not sure if they've done anything more recent...)

Sign in to follow this