You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Respect for Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya

31 comments in this topic

Members
3,564 posts
6,886 battles

59e9542db4281_OctRevXX.thumb.jpg.d35fb48900c67329c3a4186aaabcbe0b.jpg

Okt.Rev, a quite enjoyable ship to play if you can avoid Tier VII BBs

I've seen some reviews of the Tier V Russian battleship Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, and while they are quick to point out her faults, they do so without a word about her history (Notser's unconscionable unhistorical review comes to mind here). Not seeking to offer an apologia here for said faults on our first Russian battleship of the game (OK, second counting the never-to-be-sold-again Imperator Nikolai), but this ship deserves some respect because of her very long history... and her unique attributes.

My thread on the pre-dreadnoughts features a few dreadnoughts and the Russian Ismail, and the Petropavlovsk--sister ship of the original 1915 Gangut (reborn as Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya ) and the Petropavlovsk (reborn as the Marat), are noted:

To cut to the chase, with the Tier V Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, you have an upgraded 1915 dreadnought, the Gangut.

The Gangut-class battleships, also known as the "Sevastopol class", were the first dreadnoughts begun for the Imperial Russian Navy before WWI, and Gangut was the last of her class to be completed. Her role was to defend the mouth of the Gulf of FInland against the Germans, who never tried to enter, so she spent her time training and providing cover for minelaying operations. Her centerline layout of main guns was done purposely as her unenviable role was basically that of a super heavy coastal defense ship. Her crew joined the general mutiny of the Baltic Fleet after the Revolution and she joined the Bolsheviks in 1918. She was laid up in 1918 for lack of manpower and not recommissioned until 1925, by which time she had been renamed Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya.

She was reconstructed between 1931 and 1934 with new boilers, fire-control systems and greatly enlarged superstructures. During the Winter War she bombarded Finnish coastal positions. Her AA armament was greatly reinforced in early 1941, just before the German invasion and she provided gunfire support against the Germans during the long Leningrad siege. Retained on active duty after the war she became a training ship in 1954 before being struck off the Navy List in 1956 and slowly scrapped.

So scoff at a rather poorly reviewed new Tier V Russian battleship if you must, but take note of her unique talents (rapid repair, nimble turning and stealth-level detectability of 11.43 kms when maxed), but most of all respect the history of a ship that was active for over 40 years. An upgraded 1915 dreadnought should really not have to face Tier VII battleships in the game, 'nuff said.

Some of us are into history on here, not just which ship is game-wise OP and which isn't. Cheers, fair seas.

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 7

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,156 battles

Her guns are really quite accurate. Against Colorados and KGVs, she can set fires to the best of them and strip away their Fijis and Pepsicolas. 

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles
Just now, LancerUlysses said:

Her guns are really quite accurate. Against Colorados and KGVs, she can set fires to the best of them and strip away their Fijis and Pepsicolas. 

Did you envision a Russian game company wouldn't make their first Russian Battleship decent?  It actually feels like a more nimble Nikolai at tier 5.

[RLGN]
Members
8,266 posts
17,289 battles

Nice...

Slowly working my way towards it; Missouri'd away the 1600 xp this morning, and currently working on the 500 ribbons.

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,906 battles
1 minute ago, LancerUlysses said:

If only I had a Nikolai. 

I wanted a Nikolai too for the longest time - won it, got it, but then realized I'm not a huge fan of playing tier 4 so it sits in harbor.

Members
3,564 posts
6,886 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nice...

Slowly working my way towards it; Missouri'd away the 1600 xp this morning, and currently working on the 500 ribbons.

Well good luck on that. I cracked and bought her, history nut that I am. On the other hand I just said no to the Nelson. For now. ;)

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,156 battles

I love tier four. I play Ishizuchi quite a lot, but a Nick would be kind of fun. 

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,156 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Well good luck on that. I cracked and bought her, history nut that I am. On the other hand I just said no to the Nelson. For now. ;)

I got the Ock on the day it was released, I did the math on the boxes and realized what a discount it was. Finished the missions today and 7+ Million credits to sweeten the deal, definitely not bad!

• Cool 1

Members
3,564 posts
6,886 battles
1 minute ago, LancerUlysses said:

I got the Ock on the day it was released, I did the math on the boxes and realized what a discount it was. Finished the missions today and 7+ Million credits to sweeten the deal, definitely not bad!

Oh +1 for that.

Members
3,564 posts
6,886 battles

One other plus is the stealth of this ship. Out of the box visibility is 13.3 km--Moskva, with CE is 13.8. With CE Okt.Rev. has an enviable detection range of 11.43 km.

Fire on target with DE is 35%, 37% with the flags. The 12 main guns are quite accurate.

[PROJX]
Members
970 posts
15,748 battles

+1 Stauff! - for the History Lesson! - Just earned the OR and have been playing her for the Special Containers.  I couldn't agree w/ your assessment more - she's got interesting looks, but her characteristics are a heck of a lot of fun in game!

[FOXEH]
Members
3,361 posts
12,155 battles

Also thanks for the history of this ship. Makes her more enjoyable to know her background.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,321 battles

A related question - does anyone know if and when WoWS will release a tech tree Russian BB line, if ever that is?

I am training a Cpt in an Orlan (only reason I have this one tier 1 still) for a Rus BB - should I just get the OR?

Members
3,564 posts
6,886 battles
11 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

+1 Stauff! - for the History Lesson! - Just earned the OR and have been playing her for the Special Containers.  I couldn't agree w/ your assessment more - she's got interesting looks, but her characteristics are a heck of a lot of fun in game!

Congrats! With a 14 pt captain using Fire Prevention and Concealment Expert she becomes quite potent. I've managed to dodge shots like a CA at times the turning is quite good.

[PROJX]
Members
970 posts
15,748 battles
13 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Congrats! With a 14 pt captain using Fire Prevention and Concealment Expert she becomes quite potent. I've managed to dodge shots like a CA at times the turning is quite good.

Yes - you're right - I popped a 19 pt Donskoi captain in her since it's most convenient & I need to farm the Free Commanders XP to upgrade some Captains for some mid-tier Tech ships I re-bought - feel kinda dirty doing it....but she plays amazingly!

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles

Played the ship 4 times.  She a damn fine ship for tier 5.  But then again it's tier 5, and that's damning with faint praise.  She can defend the base well at tier 7, but that's about it.  The guns move so slowly that I just stop engines near some terrain and just act like a floating fortress.

Members
7 posts
2,044 battles

I love the October Revolution. I'd say she's my second favorite battleship in the game, behind the Arizona. The biggest problem I have with her is that I lob tons of AP at enemy BBs and get plenty of hits, but the damage just doesn't seem to rack up like other ships. It seems to me she's designed as a cruiser killer, not to duel with other battleships. I've considered switching to HE almost exclusively for her. I'm also glad Wargaming went with the Okyabryskaya Revolutsiya name instead of the Gangut.

[ARC]
Members
482 posts
7,167 battles
1 hour ago, HonorableChairman said:

I love the October Revolution. I'd say she's my second favorite battleship in the game, behind the Arizona. The biggest problem I have with her is that I lob tons of AP at enemy BBs and get plenty of hits, but the damage just doesn't seem to rack up like other ships. It seems to me she's designed as a cruiser killer, not to duel with other battleships. I've considered switching to HE almost exclusively for her. I'm also glad Wargaming went with the Okyabryskaya Revolutsiya name instead of the Gangut.

More like her AP is not that effective at range. You need to get dangerously close to begin hurting a tier 6/7 BB, and that's what you should avoid if you can. Against upper tier BBs, you are forced to switch between HE and AP constantly, if not, your DPM will suffer a lot.

EDIT: I see you love the Arizona too :D. I normally like my speedy BBs, but I can do reasonably well in the american dreadnoughts. I only hate it when I have to fight Belfast's and Kutuzov's on tier 8 matches.

Edited by hanesco
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
143 posts
6,626 battles

This is a fun brawler of a BB! It has so many different weapon packed into it, if only we could add a few more...remove a few secondaries and add torpedoes on each broadsides (since they won't enable the x4 fixed forward firing waterline torps in the bow)...and then add Katyusha rocket launchers on top of the turrets!! Heck, add ram prow on the front for the fun of it, in case I run into something!

• Cool 1

Members
1,544 posts
8,209 battles

Hey,

I got my Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya tonight........Thanks Wargaming, Had a decent first game in it, nothing huge but survived and it was fun to kill a DD with it.

Pete

Members
5 posts
3,694 battles

Am I the only one that hates this ship? It can't do anything right. Not a brawler. Cant snipe with the dispersion. Has no armor so it gets killed off rather quickly. Abysmal AA. I love fighting against these because its easy xp for me. Playing it is just what I'd gather from playing against it. What's the trick?

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,111 posts
11,954 battles

Just noticed I had it in port so played it stock without upgrading the ship or selecting captains skills.  Just wanted to try and grab a win to get some oil for the clan.  It was a Tier VII game.  The other team must have been bad or just ignored me...but they let me chunk away 104K of their hit point pool.  I didn't land any kill shots or captures but managed top 3.  I guess we dominated the other team but it took most of the game time to do so that helped me accumulate damage.  So, yeah not bad for maiden voyage!