Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
flackbait_steel

Same topic, Defferent approach with possible solution

Same MM topic, Defferent approach with possible solution  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that player skill should be addressed in MM?

• Yes, I would enjoy more battles that play out more equally
    • No, I always win and don't want the noobs to have a chance
    • unsure because I play WoT
    • antone that wants changes in the game should cry home to thier mamma while I destroy thier ship with my compleatly balanced Khabarovsk
  2. 2. If you favor player skill ranking, what do you think WG can use to compare skill level?

• Win raito is enough
    • Karma is a good indicator
    • I like the idea of adding a few statistics to get a more accurate
    • Balance is for cry-babies! Davey jones pays me bonuses to send ships to his locker, so sink and shut up!

10 comments in this topic

[VENOM]
Members
20 posts
12,717 battles

Do your games in WoW's seem like a for gone conclusion after 5-6 minutes of play? Have you been in too many games that are completely one-sided to be lucky hits for the winning side? 

Not to blame MM for intentionally stacking the odds in favor of 1 team or the other, but it seems that many games I play in are essentially over in the first 8 minutes. Not that all ships are sunk on one side, but the winner has already been determined and it a matter of time to mop up the stragglers. Games finish with 0-3 ships lost on the winning side and 10-12 ships lost on the loosing side. Or if one side doesn't cap, the game is over at 0 to 6 losses because of point accumulation. Win or loose, this game is unsatisfying to me. I would rather have the match come down to the last 2 or 3 ships on each side trying to clinch the win. 

Now that is not always possible, and sometimes even a team playing well is overmatched by the other team through tactics or a few lucky hits early in the game that sets one side to a defensive posture that they cannot recover from. However, too frequently in my view, seems to be a large disparity in skilled players on one side than the other. 

If WG would address this (and they have stated in Q&A that they see no problem with player skill imbalance in MM, so they probably won't) we might all have more enjoyable games that are tense to the end. Also just as important, newer players could benefit from having good players on their team so they can live long enough to get better before the give up the game in frustration. We need more players that are having fun.

So I propose to WG that they make a simple "player proficiency" stat that would be more accurate than win percentage, but not to difficult to calculate, and then have MM balance that statistic after ship class.

Something like: (winning percentage /50%) + destruction ratio + (average XP / 1000) = players average proficiency

50% win and 1000 XP per game and 1.0 destruction ratio would rate a Proficiency 3 player. 

I am not a great player, but mine would look like this (55/50) + 1.69 + (1024 / 1000) = 3.814      I win average number of times, earn average XP, but I tend to take a few enemy with me. Someone who is just starting my have a rating below 3.

[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,253 battles

The biggest problem you would have from this is that stats can be “skewed”. An example would be you may have 2 players with a proficiency of say 4 (for now as an example we’ll say this is unicum level). One of those those players could have gotten his proficiency to a 4 by playing at the lower tiers although they own tier x ships. The other Capt plays only tier x ships but still has the 4 proficiency. MM would match those 2 no matter the tier.

To take it a step further. If your top players are a 4 on each team but one is in a khab and the other is in a tier 8 ognevoi it’s probable the khab will win on that side of things and the other team is at a disadvantage. These are obviously making a lot of assumptions but you get the idea. To match it equally would take some very long queue times,  I’d imagine and would be a nightmare for MM to sort “fairly”.

Usually these steam roll matches occur because of the snowball effect like you talked about and even a unicum can only “carry hard” so much.

Your overall idea for the proficiency is not a terrible idea but how to use it would be very difficult imho.

[LHG]
Members
1,653 posts
4,919 battles
47 minutes ago, DingBat said:

Biased poll is biased. 

And needs bacon.

No, cheeseburgers are the solution. 

Cheeseburgers for ALL!!! :Smile_izmena:

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,460 posts
5,635 battles

Is a yes/no poll so hard? Why do you try to sway people's choices by making arrogant statements in the poll?

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
202 posts
3,993 battles
9 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

No, cheeseburgers are the solution. 

Cheeseburgers for ALL!!! :Smile_izmena:

With bacon.

Sign in to follow this