You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
stujol

tired of the huge updates

40 comments in this topic

[-PVE-]
Members
3 posts
5,942 battles

The big updates are getting old so I decided every time I have to download a 2 gig plus patch I am not going to spend any money at war gaming for 30 days.   I think I probably won't spend any money at all as there seems to be at least one a month. 

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles
1 minute ago, stujol said:

The big updates are getting old so I decided every time I have to download a 2 gig plus patch I am not going to spend any money at war gaming for 30 days.   I think I probably won't spend any money at all as there seems to be at least one a month. 

Why? Big updates bring big content. Do you not want new content?

Also Dev cycle is three to four weeks.

• Cool 1

[SEP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,792 battles

Of all things to complain about, you complain about new features. But not the features themselves, but the fact that they need to be downloaded. What the heck

• Cool 2

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
9 minutes ago, stujol said:

I'll buy enough goodies to make up for it- don't you worry. 

[-PVE-]
Members
3 posts
5,942 battles

I have limited time and limited bandwidth at 25 gigs a month.  I really hate losing 10% of it to one game.   And don't say find another provider because there is no other options.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,447 battles
23 minutes ago, stujol said:

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,447 battles
21 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

Of all things to complain about, you complain about new features. But not the features themselves, but the fact that they need to be downloaded. What the heck

aJGYwkH.gif

[PSP]
Members
6,328 posts
8,952 battles
22 minutes ago, stujol said:

I have limited time and limited bandwidth at 25 gigs a month.  I really hate losing 10% of it to one game.   And don't say find another provider because there is no other options.

With limited bandwidth you might consider playing single-player games.

I can see your predicament but, on the other hand, I can remember when developers sold games "as is" and if they had bugs or needed balance, well tough luck, we will sell you a new game next year. Fans then started developing their own patches and developers saw the writing on the wall. It's amazing though just how good WG is about keeping their game up to date. I played a popular RTS franchise for ten years and in that time I think we had four patches. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
3,489 posts
6,187 battles
37 minutes ago, stujol said:

Then blame the lack of options - not WGs fault in any way, shape, or form.  More people would be upset with a lot less updates.

Members
3,489 posts
6,187 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They have an updater it can do it while you sleep.

I think the biggest issue is the data and how much it goes against his monthly allotment.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles
1 hour ago, AtlanticRim said:

Why? Big updates bring big content. Do you not want new content?

Also Dev cycle is three to four weeks.

I think you are all a bit hard on the OP.  I think there would be room for a custom install that maybe didn't include scenarios, etc.  Bandwidth is a concern sometimes.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,885 posts
1,338 battles
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

I think the biggest issue is the data and how much it goes against his monthly allotment.

Yeah, but I think it's crap to try to blame WG for updates when the problem is his horrible internet deal.   

25GB.  Can't imagine.  Mine's 1 TB.  I'm sure that's chintzy to some of you, but, I'm not a movie streamer or anything.

Edited by mavfin87

Members
3,489 posts
6,187 battles
3 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Yeah, but I think it's crap to try to blame WG for updates when the problem is his horrible internet deal.  

Totally agree - that was actually my first post in this thread... ;)

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles
15 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

I think you are all a bit hard on the OP.  I think there would be room for a custom install that maybe didn't include scenarios, etc.  Bandwidth is a concern sometimes.

Well, I kinda was. Didn't consider bandwith. Sorry @stujol! But WoWS is a mainly server-based game, which means you must usually have full updates to play with others. Just taking out X code isn't as simple as that. However, maybe just making a more compressed install for limited bandwith users could please both sides.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,163 battles

OP, just quit the game, if you're so pissy that you are angry at getting new stuff then you have a serious issue. Small bandwidth is entirely your problem, not wargamings. 

[TF-64]
Members
377 posts
12,840 battles

Boy he would really hate it then when the updates we're considerably larger in the beginning. I like the more frequent but smaller updates. But I do understand his predicament with data usage. I dumped Comcast for att when Comcast pulled that crap. Between Thier customer service and that data cap, they weren't worth the tiny bit of speed increase I supposedly got. 

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
228 posts
12,973 battles
2 hours ago, stujol said:

What???? That's what ur going [edited] about.......

Members
3,489 posts
6,187 battles
8 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

@stujolJust taking out X code isn't as simple as that. However, maybe just making a more compressed install for limited bandwith users could please both sides.

AS a QA professional - I can't imagine trying to QA 3 or 4 permutations of the game download alone, then have to do some fairly serious regression to make sure stuff was not broken.  The game has textures which I don't think compress well.  The better the graphics the better and bigger the texture files will get.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,202 posts
4,297 battles
2 hours ago, stujol said:

Mine updates overnight and I wake up, do breakfast, run errands, then play the game when I want to.  

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

The OP is working on becoming his own first world problems theme.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,043 posts

On the day of the update I wait until my family has gone off to bed and I start the update. Usually when I come downstairs in the morning it's good to go.

Patience is a virtue. So I miss a day of WoWS.  I find I have other things in my life that I can do. No big deal.

On the plus side, if you wait until late in the day, there are fewer players downloading, there is more bandwidth on the server, the download does not take as long. Also, if you wait a day, more players will have downloaded the patch so the queue does not take as long.