You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Koyar127

What mid-tier ships do you recommend keeping

43 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
999 battles

Hello,

I've been slowly working up the tech tree and have mostly tier 4/5 ships.  I haven't found any that I know i want to keep instead of selling when i research the next tier.  Are there any in particular that stand out as worth keeping around (i.e. worth the extra port slot and trained commander)?

thanks

Members
1,459 posts
12,328 battles

Clemson is one of my favorites - the only tech tree 4/5 I kept (not including cartoon Kongo clones) after grinding all the lines

[DARTH]
Members
537 posts
11,496 battles

A lot of that depends on what you enjoy, and what you do well with and feel like you would enjoy playing in the future.  I'm a ship hoarder and have kept most of my ships ... but if I were only allowed to keep one or two per tier, I think it would go like this (tech tree, not premium).  Oh, heck, I'll go with one DD, one CL/CA, one BB:

3: Wakatake, Bogatyr & Bellerophon

(Nassau is also very good)

4: Isokaze Phoenix & Orion

(maybe Clemson, that's a tough one)

5: ???, Emile Bertin & Kongo

(Love my Kamikaze R, liked the old RU T5DD, haven't done much there since the latest round of changes)

6: Farragut, Cleveland and QE(?)

(My favorite T6 BB at the moment is actually Arizona, so...)

Thing is, most people have their favorites, and not all agree.  Some of these ships might not work out well for you at all, and there may be other ships that you think are fantastic.  Play what you like, and if you really enjoy a ship, don't be ashamed to keep it.  You can always earn more 'free' port slots via the daily containers, and eventually you'll earn enough credits to where the price of the lower tier ships is meaningless.  So, enjoy and have fun.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,675 posts
3,824 battles

Fuso, Kongo, Furutaka, Leander are my favorites in that tier range that is not a premium.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,533 battles

Tier 3 St Louis,Bellerophon,Bogatyr

Tier 4 Clemson,Orion,Svetelana 

Tier 5 Konigsberg,Konig,Furutaka

Tier 6 Cleveland,Ryujo,Farragut,Fuso

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,025 battles

When you get to Cleveland, I'd keep that.  If for no other reason than a rumored US cruiser line split in the future that will place her at tier 8.  Usually, if you have the ship in port when that happens, you keep it through the tier change.

Members
566 posts
1,889 battles

I still have every ship I ever achieved. Many I don't play especially the higher tier. Which far exceed my abilities. I do know when I remove a vessel from my port. I will want to play it. So keep them all, is my feeling.  

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,059 posts
9,371 battles

Yeah as stated, the ones  you jelled with.  If looking for fun or possible ranked or best of the class?  Well here are a few I enjoyed  St. Louis, Bogy, Svet, Kongo, Fuso, Konigberg, Nurnberg (not a huge Cleve fan) most premiums....

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Nassau, Wyoming, Kongo, Konig, Furutaka, Emile Bertin, and Konigsberg are some that I'm keeping. There are a lot of enjoyable ships at those tiers. :)

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

The StLouis is possibly the most awesome cruiser in the game. Watching 12 different gun counters tick up is just so hilarious, and it has great armour too.

I think it was the Derzki that had a bunch of extremely short range torpedoes with incredibly fast reload (faster than most BB main batteries reload). Kinda hard to play, but if you find yourself an island that the enemy is trying to push around, you can produce the kind of constant stream of torps that can stop an entire team it its tracks.

The Ryujo if you are into CVs.

I find the NewMexico kinda hilarious, but it will let you down sometimes. I once fired all of my 12 guns into a broadside Fuso at 4.2km and managed to miss with all but 2 shells. But it all becomes worthwhile when you get those sweet, sweet devastating strike blasts.

If you want a ship which isn't just funny but actually performs well, I'd recommend the Cleveland.

@Korval_BB55

Why recommend the Pheonix? To me, it seems like a mediocre version of the standard cruiser archetype, with a tall hull that is easy to penetrate, mediocre guns, mediocre torpedoes, mediocre everything.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,850 posts
1,332 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

The ones you enjoyed playing?

What he said *****

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
14 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

@Korval_BB55

Why recommend the Pheonix? To me, it seems like a mediocre version of the standard cruiser archetype, with a tall hull that is easy to penetrate, mediocre guns, mediocre torpedoes, mediocre everything.

The one great thing about the Phoenix at that tier is it's gun range(16.5km iirc). You can dance around all day at 15km setting ships on fire and other low-tier ships will struggle to return effective fire if you know WSAD hax. It's also a pretty fast and effective DD hunter.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles

It's all based on what you like and how well you do with specific ships.

[RLGN]
Members
8,264 posts
17,271 battles

St Louis, (T3 USN,) because it will become insanely fun when you have a lot more battles under your belt; some might ask; "Fun? As in seal clubbing?" Maybe; I just love it because I can bully the flip out of bots with it in Co-op if I have a bad day in Randoms.

Langley AND Hosho, (T4 USN and IJN,) if you get into CVs; again, because fun in Co-op, if nothing else.

Clemson, (T4 USN,) if you don't prefer Wickes for some reason; because nothing beats really knowiung how to use destroyers,  and getting into the middle of a swarm of Reds and being able to spawn metal fishes as fast as that ship can.

Konigsburg, (T5 German,) or if you prefer, Nurnburg, (T6 German,) because needing to run away, but still being able to shoot 66% of your guns.

Nassau, (T3 German,) because other than Mikasa, (T2 IJN premium,) and the South Carolina, (T3 USN,) she has the meanest secondaries in the low tiers.

Wyoming, (T4 USN,) some say her guns are innacurrate, but she still has TWELVE of them; great for giving destroyers a facefull of HE, and more than anything else until New Mexico at T6, (USN.) Learn to work within her limits, and she'll always serve you well.

Personal favorites, yes, but I do like them.

(edit)

Sorry; mid-tiers...

Cleveland; like several have said. Buddyonny; if you can deal with it being a glass cannon. If you can make Wyoming work, then New Mexico; and/or Fuso. Ryujo, if you go the CV route. Farragut, Gaede, and Gnevny if you can deal with the really short ranged torps on RU destroyers. Don't much care for the mid-tier IJN destroyers, except for Shinonome; which is a prize for the Tier 8 campaign.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
additions

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
1 hour ago, Koyar127 said:

Hello,

I've been slowly working up the tech tree and have mostly tier 4/5 ships.  I haven't found any that I know i want to keep instead of selling when i research the next tier.  Are there any in particular that stand out as worth keeping around (i.e. worth the extra port slot and trained commander)?

thanks

Tiers 2, 3, 4 and 5 are mostly garbage. However, the following are good ships to keep:

• T3: Friant, maybe.
  • T4: Clemson - the easiest sealclubbing boat ever. 
  • T5: Furutaka - can take a bit to get used to it, but once you work it out it's simply deadly against other cruisers. Kirov is similar but different (better HE long range anti BBs, much weaker Torps for island surprises!)
  • T6: Leander, Farragut, Fuso. Leander is my favourite ship in the game. 
  • T7: Fiji, Gniesenau. Fiji is a stronger Leander. Gniesenau is a fast, armoured BB with very strong secondaries and Torps! Who needs main guns??!? So much fun.  

Enjoy, and good luck!

EDIT: you will want to keep a couple of these mid tier ships around to help grind credits to pay for higher tier ships purchase and running costs. Prolly don't need all of them though!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,451 posts
11,762 battles

British battleships tiers 3 to 5.

Derztki. Wakatake.

Umikaze.

Clemson and tenryu.

Kongo, German BB and isokazi.

Any French cruiser if you are good. 

Members
4,555 posts
6,477 battles

Tier 3 St Louis. Period.  NO argument! Go-to ship when ya need some wins.  Svetlana is also very good. Tier 4. Guns and torps.....ya. She can torp a ship behind her. Great torp angles. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,264 posts
17,271 battles
6 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Leander is my favourite ship in the game. 

Most cursed at ship in my port... Bizarrely; I like her sister, Perth.

Members
4,555 posts
6,477 battles
8 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Tier 3, 4 and 5 are mostly garbage. However, the following are good ships to keep:

• T3: Friant, maybe.
  • T4: Clemson - the easiest sealclubbing boat ever. 
  • T5: Furutaka - can take a bit to get used to it, but once you work it out it's simply deadly against other cruisers. Kirov is similar but different (better HE long range anti BBs, much weaker Torps for island surprises!)
  • T6: Leander, Farragut. Leander is my favourite ship in the game. 
  • T7: Fiji, Gniesenau. Fiji is a stronger Leander. Gniesenau is a fast, armoured BB with very strong secondaries and Torps! Who needs main guns??!? So much fun.  

Enjoy, and good luck!

Why you say they are garbage? Best and most fun cruisers are GARBAGE???  Tier 3-4-5?  Duh

Edited by dmckay

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles

Keeping individual ships lower tier is whatever one you like playing the most 

heres the thing 

from lll on Wows ocasionally in the past has had campaigns were a ship only from that tier is playable

I still keep and play occasionally my tier 1 Hermy.. were it all started just nostalgia I guess

[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles

All of them, I have 178 and climbing.

Edited by Sovereigndawg