You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
riverslq

first game of the day - RADAR abused

46 comments in this topic

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,404 battles

Sitting behind an island getting hit by radar from the other side of a mountain.  yeah, 2 pieces of land that radar went through.

FUN AND ENGAGING!

Edited by riverslq
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

On the plus side, if you were behind that much terrain, the other team shouldn't have been able to actually hit you.

• Cool 5

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,404 battles
12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

On the plus side, if you were behind that much terrain, the other team shouldn't have been able to actually hit you.

no,

but i was stuck there for the length of the radar,

plus they knew where I was with 100% certainty to be in position for when I left.

or for that matter, when i left.

and I can't see them at all.

yeah, sorry, broken.

Edited by riverslq
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles

It wasn't abused. That would indicate that someone was using some game mechanic in an undesigned and maybe unethical way. Radaring through islands, while unrealistic, is a completely valid and much used game mechanic and strategy. As Edge said, if you had two islands between you and them, they probably couldn't do much about you anyway.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
19 minutes ago, riverslq said:

no,

plus they knew where I was with 100% certainty to be in position for when I left.

yeah, sorry, broken.

I feel your pain man.. However you have to expect radar every match at the high tiers its just the way it is.  You got two choices either you just stop playing dds all together, or understand that radar cas want to wait for u to change that cap circle to red and then then light you up or even better wait for u to pop smoke and then light you up, if you using smoke to sit in a cap point stop doing that. Also know your enemy and their radar ranges and that some might also have the upgrade module which makes the radar last even longer.  Lastly always have an out or terrain u can get behind unless you know there are no radar cas between you and that yamato or kurfrust your trying to dev strike.  Hope this helps.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
26 minutes ago, riverslq said:

no,

yeah, sorry, broken.

No, not "broken".  The game still functions, just not the way you or many other people wish it would in this regard.  It's just grossly unrealistic, and I suspect most people would like to see it fixed to be more realistic.  That said, it's known that the fix would be difficult due to how radar was implemented in the game engine.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,157 battles

Real radar would be on all the time, and would be mounted on most ships T6 and up, especially US ships. US ships would get a massive fire control buff from radar, and your DD's detection radius would be excremental if you were not hiding behind an island. 

In the game, the longest a radar consumable may be active (with the supercontainer module), is just under 50 seconds. wait it out and go do your thing. And be happy this isn't World of Physics. 

M'Kay?

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,289 battles

Wanted to use mah radar on my Missouri during the game I cleared Red October part 3, task 1... (100k+ game; easy peasy,) Everyone kept running away or dying, dang it... But then that was a crazy T9-10 game where BOTH sides had 4-5... or maybe 6... radar ships anyway... Not like there was a shortage of radar...

1 minute ago, Crucis said:

That said, it's known that the fix would be difficult due to how radar was implemented in the game engine.

Yeah; going the boost to absolute minimum detection range route; instead of the LOS mechanics route; may turn out to be a mistake...

If they switched/fixed it now; would the players who would be happy about that outnumber the ones who woulod scream about their precious (but highly abused,) game mechanic being nerfed...?

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Wanted to use mah radar on my Missouri during the game I cleared Red October part 3, task 1... (100k+ game; easy peasy,) Everyone kept running away or dying, dang it... But then that was a crazy T9-10 game where BOTH sides had 4-5... or maybe 6... radar ships anyway... Not like there was a shortage of radar...

Yeah; going the boost to absolute minimum detection range route; instead of the LOS mechanics route; may turn out to be a mistake...

If they switched/fixed it now; would the players who would be happy about that outnumber the ones who woulod scream about their precious (but highly abused,) game mechanic being nerfed...?

Prophet, in this case, I'd tell the whiners to suck it up!  That a realistic radar is better than a grossly unrealistic one.  And yes, I know that even with that tweak there's be a lot of unreality to it remaining, but it's still better to get rid of something that is a slap in the face to reality (seeing through islands) than to leave it in.

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
13 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

US ships would get a massive fire control buff from radar..

Actually no. Every ship in the game would gain the same benefit, mainly improved spotting, by having a US ship on their team.

The other effect of radar, knowing exact range, we already have for every ship.

The big deal about US radar was the resolution, the ability to track shells in flight and splashes, gave the fire control computer accurate data to work with. 

We, as players, assisted by the game interface, are already a superior fire control computer to anything that sailed the seas in WW2.

Members
1,023 posts
3,549 battles
58 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

It wasn't abused. That would indicate that someone was using some game mechanic in an undesigned and maybe unethical way. Radaring through islands, while unrealistic, is a completely valid and much used game mechanic and strategy. As Edge said, if you had two islands between you and them, they probably couldn't do much about you anyway.

The same was said many times about open water stealth firing............................

27 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Real radar would be on all the time, and would be mounted on most ships T6 and up, especially US ships. US ships would get a massive fire control buff from radar, and your DD's detection radius would be excremental if you were not hiding behind an island. 

In the game, the longest a radar consumable may be active (with the supercontainer module), is just under 50 seconds. wait it out and go do your thing. And be happy this isn't World of Physics. 

M'Kay?

Actually, I would prefer it to be on all the time if it meant that it couldnt see through islands. At least then you could avoid them with some degree of certainty, not the cheeky gotcha baloney we have to put up with now.......................

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,157 battles

US fire control radar was accurate enough to blind fire by 1942-3 in night actions. Read the after action report of the USS Washington at the second battle of Guadalcanal. Basically the USS Washington alone stopped a much larger force, after the US destroyer screen was taken out and the USS South Dakota had her sensors and power systems damaged. 

Other nations had radar, but mostly not of sufficient resolution to do more than early warning or direction finding. 

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

No, not "broken".  The game still functions, just not the way you or many other people wish it would in this regard.  It's just grossly unrealistic, and I suspect most people would like to see it fixed to be more realistic.  That said, it's known that the fix would be difficult due to how radar was implemented in the game engine.

It has nothing to do with realism. It's just a dumb part of the mechanic just thrown in there just because. Radar is fine except for that stupid "go through islands" nonsense. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
58 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

It has nothing to do with realism. It's just a dumb part of the mechanic just thrown in there just because. Radar is fine except for that stupid "go through islands" nonsense. 

Honestly, I think you're delusional if you're thinking that the see thru islands nature of the current WoWS radar doesn't have to do with realism.

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I think you're delusional if you're thinking that the see thru islands nature of the current WoWS radar doesn't have to do with realism.

I don't care if it does or not. This is a video game. this isn't real life, is not a simulator, and is only loosely based on "history". (because "balance" ) 

Video game =/= realism 

Every time "realism" is thrown into this I just :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Vekta408

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
3 hours ago, riverslq said:

Sitting behind an island getting hit by radar from the other side of a mountain.  yeah, 2 pieces of land that radar went through.

FUN AND ENGAGING!

Every time you post this is all I see:

cryingchild.jpg

Seriously. If the game bothers you that much, maybe you should find something else to play.

I mean really. What's the point when every post you make is a b***h, whine or complaint?

• Cool 1

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,404 battles
5 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Every time you post this is all I see:

cryingchild.jpg

Seriously. If the game bothers you that much, maybe you should find something else to play.

I mean really. What's the point when every post you make is a b***h, whine or complaint?

Someone has to offset the wargaming fanbois such as yourself.  :p

oh hey, another game with sonar abused through an island.

If you cared so much, you'd ask wargaming to fix these things, but nope.

[LEGO]
Members
132 posts
3,404 battles
5 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

I don't care if it does or not. This is a video game. this isn't real life, is not a simulator, and is only loosely based on "history". (because "balance" ) 

Video game =/= realism 

Every time "realism" is thrown into this I just :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_facepalm:

I WANT LASER BEAMS!

IF WE HAVE SATELLITES (which we do apparently), I WANT LASER BEAMS TOO!

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,161 battles
10 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

It has nothing to do with realism. It's just a dumb part of the mechanic just thrown in there just because.

Yeah no, this shows how bloody ignorant you are. (more so than the average missouri resident about their own history). It's not just thrown in ther e'just because' it's thrown in there because it uses the bare minimum 2 km auto-spotting mechanic. If there is an island 1 km wide between you and an enemy ship you will be magically seen through that island even if it was the height of mt everest.

Radar just extends this range for a short duration, on that note SO DOES HYDRO to a much lesser degree for a much longer time.