Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Buzzardsluck

Been working with DD's and have questions.

11 comments in this topic

Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

Got the tier 5-6 Japanese. Win Rate is good. I tend to spot more, keep the enemy spotted. Launch torps when trying to turn them. More of strategy I guess. I guess damage will come . Capping and spotting is my first concern. is this wrong. I mean I usually play a BB and I am looking it with that eye also. In my BB I get frustrated if I cannot shoot at a target because I cannot see them. Is it a Japanese DD job to do this? 

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
594 posts
21,184 battles

Sounds fine, a good point of view to start with. In IJN DD's, good torping strategy will come as well as the awareness to hold some of those smokes for yourself as your ship becomes more and more effective late game.

[DAKI]
Members
626 posts
6,382 battles

hmmm it depends, yes spotting is what the IJN can do best since most ijn dds have low concealment, but capping is depending on the situation, yes you can cap, especially late game with your really low concealment, but other dd nations do contesting caps way better than you.

[RESP]
Beta Testers
889 posts
7,147 battles

If there are no CVs present, then yes.  As a DD you should be the one spotting.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,387 battles

As a BB player I want my DDs spotting and staying alive. The longer the DDs live the better chance the team has of winning. Capping and dying 5 minutes into the game is worthless to the team in my opinion.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
30 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

Got the tier 5-6 Japanese. Win Rate is good. I tend to spot more, keep the enemy spotted. Launch torps when trying to turn them. More of strategy I guess. I guess damage will come . Capping and spotting is my first concern. is this wrong. I mean I usually play a BB and I am looking it with that eye also. In my BB I get frustrated if I cannot shoot at a target because I cannot see them. Is it a Japanese DD job to do this? 

First focus on maintaining spots. 

The dance DD's do in the sense that they face check themselves on a cap and tend to either blow up or be severely crippled is very dubious affair at best. 

Focus on your spots first, wait for the red DD's to appear and then work accordingly. Once you get control of a cap move towards others while looking for capital ship targets of opportunity on the way. Make sure you keep your vision game up. 

You seem to have a very solid understanding of this. Keep up what you are doing. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,011 battles

I get more hits when I blind launch my torps and I try to launch them when ever they are loaded.  This works to guide the other team where you would like them to go and also they are not expecting it.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

I'd still prioritize good torpedoes, no need to spot dead things. (This is why I hate the spotting mechanic)

Also, spotting is generally not rewarded well.  I tend to get more spotting damage in my BBs than in my DDs, which is pretty sad. 

[O_O]
Members
4,401 posts
9,529 battles

Spotting won't net you much experience, but it will very much contribute heavily to a higher win rate.  Spotting is the most influential task a DD captain can do (excluding Russian DD's).  Damage and capping are secondary.  As others have said, DD drivers (myself included) seem to have a hard time resisting the urge to cap early, and often are sunk early for their efforts.  Excellent DD captains stay alive and spot deep into the game.  Once this is done, chances are you can get late caps uncontested.

As you learn to work at the edge of your concealment and stay alive, you will also learn how to be much more effective at delivering devastating torpedo strikes or rain small, withering fire bombs upon your opponents.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,230 posts
8,863 battles

My Fubuki doesn't have smoke that lasts long enough to make it worthwhile to smoke for the team, unless it's for an immediate tactical advantage. What I usually do is use smoke to hide my retreat if I get detected and targeted by too many of the enemy.

Sign in to follow this