You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Ishizuchi

26 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

Another thread reminded me I owned an Ishizuchi.  Tried it out last night for the first time in more than a year.  This ship is FUN!  I scored more than 100k damage in one battle.

I had been using AP, as you would normally expect on a BB.  But the Wiki says the HE is the superior round.  Are there any die hard Ishi players out there that can comment on what has worked best for them?

Those secondaries rule!  LOL  Don't hit much sometimes, but it's hella fun watching them unload on some hapless DD or cruiser.  I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,235 posts

Gazehunteit!

Anyways, T4, so HE from range, AP in a 8km or closer broadside brawl.  Play it like a baby Nagato that has terrible dispersion.

• Cool 1

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

HE everything but cruisers or BBs showing you a lot of broadside at close range. Your range is pretty good now for tier 4, so I like to use my speed and kite a lot while pummeling ships with HE fire. Don't really expect citadels on enemy BBs though. HE should be your primary ammo choice.

Edited by JojoTheMongol

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,382 battles

That was a fun ship. I'll have to take her out tonight after the "serious" rounds. (3 Beers)

[HINON]
Supertester
19,185 posts
12,684 battles

Ishizuchi's AP is perhaps the worst 12" AP in the game. That said, at close / medium range and against soft / broadside targets, it can still do work. Once it starts bouncing though, switch to HE.

Members
2,368 posts
7,645 battles

Yep, Ishi is a very fun ship. The HE is better, good damage and fire chance. The AP has bad pen so any target that is very far or slightly angled the AP wont pen. The secundaries are good but they have low range.

[YARRR]
Members
400 posts
4,755 battles

I play mine like a big cruiser, which in effect it is, being a design study for the Kongo class battle cruisers.

Speed and HE are your friends.  Brawling against dreadnoughts is to be avoided, unless of course you have already seriously taken big chunks out of their hit point pool with your HE.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,492 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

Ishizuchi's AP is perhaps the worst 12" AP in the game. That said, at close / medium range and against soft / broadside targets, it can still do work. Once it starts bouncing though, switch to HE.

giphy.gif

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,552 posts
3,539 battles

I use AP 95% of the time, it's VERY effective against Cruisers and Destroyers, I hardly get overpens against them because of how poor the AP penetration is and 12" is more than enough to over match there hull. I save the HE against seal clubbers in BBs because most noobs will sail broadside all match but clubbers will angle most of the time

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles

I got my Ishi back last Xmas from a santa crate.. and was filled with great joy when it happened.. it is still after a year one of my favorite ships.  In it's tier its combination of high speed, reasonable gun range, decent if short ranged secondaries and 5 tein gun main battery turrets is a mnster when used right...  It will erase cruisers and destroyers and can do a number on battleships.  Yes the 12 AP is a  bit problematic dealing with the belt armor on many opposing BB's but there are solutins for that especially if you've got at least a 10 point commander on the ships...  

One little secret is don't aim for the water line shots at range.. aim for the main deck and hit em above the armor belt.   Put some un-repairable AP damage into the upper works, upper decks, bow and stern.   An opposing BB thats lost half its HP to un-repairable damage either tend to get really really cautious and passive, or YOLO.. very few players have the nerve to hang in there in that situation.

It really is a battle cruiser but it does have a very strong secondary array for it's teir and when your at short range (especially if your running the Adrenalin Rush skill!) it can be an unholy terror.  Only the Myogi can possibly run away from you, or a Kongo if your up tiered.  And no cruiser with any brains want to actually catch you with out some help close by and even then its a risky move.. a nose on cruiser up to tier 7 will get punished hard by HE that hits when backed up with the IFHE commander skill..they're not going to bow tank off your shots... not even a Cleveland!   (I've detonated Cleve's this way!) .

She is however crazy fragile when running broadside exposed.  Drive her like a really big nasty cruiser and you almost cannot help but do well in her.   Wiggle back and forth.. she doesn't need a whole lot of angle to get her aft turrets into play.. you swing, shoot, and swing back.  Getting shots off the the midships turret is problematic so don't even worry about it.    Just remember like all of the IJN capital ships it's secondaries tend to be discounted by other players  rather foolishly IMHO.. count gun tubes.. there's few BB's that can out gun an IJN capital ship at close range.. even the vaunted german secondaries with thier longer range, which is the only advantage they have in that dept are out gunned!  It has a turtle back armor setup like the Myogi so dont be afraid to get up very close and really personal in one when the opportunity presents its self.  

I always find myself amazed at players who think IJN BB's are wimps in close.   I personally have discovered then when RNG is killing my hit percentage then getting so close you can't miss solves the problem.  It may not have full on BB armor, but it's more then sufficient to allow you to get stupidly close.. and remember the wisdom of Jingles.. if its stupid but it works, it's not stupid!

Even Little White Mouse rates her as a Gud Boot!

Warlord sends

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,617 battles

the AP is incredibly powerful, idk what makes people think its bad. Also tons of cruiser deletions

Members
499 posts
7,162 battles
2 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

the AP is incredibly powerful, idk what makes people think its bad. Also tons of cruiser deletions

She used to be be pretty bad, much slower rate of fire combined with awful range, and a massive detection range.

She's had a series of buff, the last being extending the gun range inline with her detection, she's very solid now - especially if you play her more like a cruiser.

Edited by Veasel

[PRU]
Members
111 posts
4,272 battles

The ultimate kite machine. Engage, do a 180 and run. You can fire three turrets without too much angling. It's T4, they will chase you.

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Mostly he, ap only for perfect broadsides at close range. High speed, 3 rear turets and long range make it a great kiter. You can realy play like a battlecruiser, bully crusiers, run away from slow battleships while raining down he on them.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I tried using the HE.   Think I'm going to stick with AP.  HE is for cruisers and the British.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,144 battles

Ishi is SO much better than she used to be when her detection range outranged her guns by 3-5 km. 

6 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I tried using the HE.   Think I'm going to stick with AP.  HE is for cruisers and the British.

This however is not really a good mindset. Her AP is actually quite weak beyond 10 km, 11+km is where you should really be using that strong (for when it was introduced) he. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
3 hours ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Ishi is SO much better than she used to be when her detection range outranged her guns by 3-5 km. 

This however is not really a good mindset. Her AP is actually quite weak beyond 10 km, 11+km is where you should really be using that strong (for when it was introduced) he. 

I did 100k plus by getting in closer.   I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

The key to remember is its a battlecruiser... not a battleship.  Pick your fights carefully.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles

most youtuber's will often say Ishzuchi is the WORST premium, however i find this very untrue. its HE is dumb at best. i once got 29 fires when i went with a three ishzuchi divison which made the enemy team VERY SALTY, if i recall we where getting comments on our profile for at least a day of people whining that we are seal clubbers and hackers. lul

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles

I think I've found my new fav BB to hunt pesky DDs in. Took it out of mothball this morning and I just want to keep playing it all day.

With free Cpt respec I'm trying IFHE and loving it. Finding it VERY accurate and..well.. FUN!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 hour ago, Zyu said:

I think I've found my new fav BB to hunt pesky DDs in. Took it out of mothball this morning and I just want to keep playing it all day.

With free Cpt respec I'm trying IFHE and loving it. Finding it VERY accurate and..well.. FUN!

IFHE!  Hmmm that could be fun!

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
Just now, TheDreadnought said:

lol it pens everything anyway :/ i detonated a emreald yesterday lul

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
1 hour ago, RiverTheIdiot said:

most youtuber's will often say Ishzuchi is the WORST premium, however i find this very untrue. its HE is dumb at best. i once got 29 fires when i went with a three ishzuchi divison which made the enemy team VERY SALTY, if i recall we where getting comments on our profile for at least a day of people whining that we are seal clubbers and hackers. lul

Before the stealthfire changes she had the shortest range compared to her detection of any ship in the game.  Like other low tier ships she got a range buff to better match her detection and range, this made all the difference in the world for her.  Before that change she was arguably the worst premium but she wasn't expensive and her HE was always very good.  I feel like I am shooting railguns now I don't think they did but it feels like she got a dispersion buff when they changed her.

1 hour ago, Zyu said:

15 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I have found her guns to be very accurate, but IFHE is pointless at her tier.  She has 51mm of penetration using HE on her main guns without IFHE, there isn't anything at T4 or T4 that has armor thick enough to make a difference.  You would be much better off using those 4 points for other skills instead.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,363 battles

You have gotten sound advice from this thread. I dont think the AP is as bad as some have stated. Just dont use it past 10km & you will not be disappointed. I find the "Izzy" to be very fun to play & make it a practice to close with the enemy. At range her dispersion can be frustrating; straddling a ship 2-3 times in a row with zero hits isnt uncommon for me. 

37 minutes ago, biggie1447 said:

I have found her guns to be very accurate, but IFHE is pointless at her tier.  She has 51mm of penetration using HE on her main guns without IFHE, there isn't anything at T4 or T4 that has armor thick enough to make a difference.  You would be much better off using those 4 points for other skills instead.

Agreed! I get citadel hits regularly using HE without IF.