Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Izumo to Yamato

10 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles

I took advantage of the current respec to change out my Amagi captain for Izumo (15 points, currently PT/EM/SI/AFT/MS) in secondary build. Currently she has MB survival, secondary range, MB reload, DCSM1 and 2, and TAM. Probably will do same on Yamato, except get AA/secondary survival since the MB armor is so thick.

Face it, 18km base detection is enormous.  Even with full stealth I'm still spotted at 15km, so figured wiser to use cover, roll with the team, and choose my fights so I'm not getting HE spammed all the time.

Already took her out, top of my losing team with 1310 base XP or so, and she's a natural fit. I just know instinctively how to play her.

I'm wondering if secondary/MB/survival build is best for Izumo and Yamato. If I position well, DDs are unlikely to catch me broadside (Izumo and Yammy cannot accelerate nor turn fast anyway, so have to roll with team to get extra torp spotting, and given HE and flooding is a major threat, reduce their duration). My intent is get in, hunker down, and draw fire while I slam targets of opportunity and let teammates finish them off. It's not clear 10.6km secondaries will necessarily make a lot of difference, so debating if I should just take MB accuracy in slow 2 instead.

I'm also considering replacing MB survival with secondary/AA survival module on Izumo, though in first battle, less than 10% of my damage came from secondaries, cause don't see what else to spec for. When captain reaches 19 points, she will have 5 spare points. I'm thinking of BoS/HA, HA/AR/EL, or BoS/JoaT, but not sure what's best for yammy as a tank and team player.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,665 posts
3,824 battles

Typically the Izumo is rather handicapped in her secondaries due to the firing angles that those secondaries need to open up. You basically need to show quite a bit of your sides to have most of your secondaries open up which turns out to be more detrimental to your survival.

Yamato has great secondaries that is far better than the Izumo, but most people don't prefer it in random battles since 10km gets rather tricky for the Yamato to fight in when a lot of maneuvering may be required and the turret rotation is gonna gimp you at close range battles.

I personally play my ships in co op, so my builds are different where I focus on the secondaries since I tend to be more aggressive which works out for me, but won't work for me in random battles due to how the meta is like.

Members
542 posts
2,945 battles

Izumo is much better at tanking than Yamato due to its fantastic turtleback armor scheme. I did a secondary build with it and liked it quite a bit. Yamato on the other hand has an incredibly vulnerable citadel and is basically all about medium to long range gunnery because of the turret traverse. Because of this I wouldn't recommend shunning concealment as you'll want it on the Yamato and even on the Izumo 15km will let you occasionally hide from T10 Cruiser HE spam.

The AA on either ship is horrendous, even fully spec'd  builds don't really deter carriers but you'll at least the latter will swat some planes so they wont get a free strike.

Edited by ksix

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

Running the Conceal Module + Concealment Expert is pretty much a must unless you want to be focused a lot. Having 13.5km detection means in Yamato you can better push up or reposition without being spotted nearly as often. The same can be said for Izumo. Running secondary build on either one is just not worth it with Germany in the game now.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

I so hope I am right and Musashi is replacing Izumo because I really don’t want to grind through it.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,017 posts
8,240 battles

After some more matches in Izumo, the secondaries are very underwhelming, but what else to build? Concealment requires skill and module, and even then it's about 15km detection, and Izumo's AA is too weak. Not only that, but the [bleep] MB accuracy is atrocious. It frequently goes wide of the target on good shots.

I take back my opinion of Izumo being good. A MB accuracy buff would be a decent buff.

Looks I'll go concealment and MB accuracy on Yamato--secondaries will probably be an afterthought....

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles

Izzy is a pretty good ship, although I free xp'd past all the stock crap. The secondary build is a bust IMO, you just dont get close often enough for it to be worthwhile and for an AA boost, its only enough to keep tier 7 CV's away.

Its all about survival for me.

The guns are incredibly wonky. One gun puts 3 shells as a single dot and the next gun could put 1 shell on either end of a Hood and the 3rd will be very short or very long. 9 shells land dead center of a Monty, some over, some short....not a single hit.Those guns are very unpredictable.

Supertester
418 posts
6,097 battles

I highly recommend a tank build, with stuff like Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention. It has done wonders for me in the Izumo and the Yamato. In fact, I grinded the Yamato without ever buying any of the upgrades for the Izumo, went all the way with the stock version, I really enjoyed the Izumo, aside from the 14.5km concealment. Took me a few matches to understand the Yamato better, but as I did, it became more and more amazing. It already has natural immunity to torpedo damage, so it felt natural to give it immunity to fires as well, and it felt more tanky than my GK (which doesn't have good torpedo protection, and I don't use Fire Prevention out of enjoyment from a secondary build). The thing just refuses to sink as long as I don't show too much broadside.

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

The epic quest to climb Mt. Izumo continues for me.  After a false start on a secondary build(19 pt capt), I went full stealth/health.

The 14.5km detect brings it back into a realistic area. All the health capt perks help keep me alive longer.

The guns are glitchy as far as dispersion, for me at least. My AP gets an inordinate number of over-pens and ricochets. My HE does well but feels like wasted potential.

I have begun using a kiting tactic. Angle in towards the enemy while heading for an island. Use the island cover to turn away. Then kite while firing. This presents all my secondaries towards the threat axis as well.

While being very pleased with the armor when angled in, it is hard for me to make real XP/silver with it so far. I feel more like a target barge for high-arc HE than a BB.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,157 posts
10,145 battles

Yamato is no brawler, also the turrets are massive and soak fire MBA mod 1 is a must for me. Survivability, Accuracy, RoF and Concealment. Spec everything to max. Much more forgiving than Izumo, but learn where the limits of your protection are, if you are angled, but not enough to auto bounce, you can be citadeled.  

Sign in to follow this