You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pittwsix

Smoke change is horrifically bad

111 comments in this topic

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles

The changes to detection while in smoke is by far the worst change in all the time i've been playing.  Smoke doesn't create passive game play it makes aggressive game play.

You can't push in close with out smoke..... essentially all Royal Navy Cruisers are unplayable including the Belfast.  

Battleships can no longer push up to support teammates, and cruisers in general will have to play even more passive than they do now for fear of being detected by dds... 

This change completely destroys good team play between battleships and destroyers, as a BB spear heading the edge of the cap is a great aggressive strategy which no longer can be pulled off.... 

Mid Tier fun aggressive game play is completely gone, I love pushing up close in a RN CA or other cruiser and be smoked up by a teammate.  Now you can't do that, b/c low and mid tier dds also push aggressively and now will spot you.... 

Utter nonsense from Wargamming on this one, they've done a lot of dumb stuff in the past but this one is by far the dumest

• Cool 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
6,102 battles

I had no problem playing my RN CLs last night and no different than i usually play. I get in a good range, then smoke up. Only change is i have to watch my new detection range when a BB tries to rush. Even then, I stopped firing my guns to wait until they got a little closer to launch torps. 

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,305 posts
6,575 battles

oCVLMKF.gif

Grow up. Or to quote the average Forum Battleship Player: "Adapt or Die"

• Cool 9

Members
11 posts
1,673 battles

I can see everyone is overjoyed with such a change. I guess its a matter of time to see how Wargaming takes the criticism against the smoke changes, but I have doubts it'll change that much.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
On 10/19/2017 at 9:42 AM, pittwsix said:

essentially all Royal Navy Cruisers are unplayable including the Belfast.  

laughter.gif

My Belfast, Leander, Fiji and the fact they have the best concealment in smoke for cruisers at all tiers except with the Flint and Atlanta, Laugh at your baseless accusation.

• Cool 2

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,452 posts
5,604 battles

My problem with this change is that it feels like a change for Ranked rather than Random. And until Ranked becomes a game mode I can play every day (which it hasn't been), I fail to see the point of changing everything for one mode that only shows up for limited durations.

• Cool 1

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
36 minutes ago, Drago25x said:

I had no problem playing my RN CLs last night and no different than i usually play. I get in a good range, then smoke up. Only change is i have to watch my new detection range when a BB tries to rush. Even then, I stopped firing my guns to wait until they got a little closer to launch torps. 

HAHA really?  I've just rushed their smoke, they get instantly spotted and one of my BB's deletes them.... 6km is nothing for a dd to get in range of any smoked up ship.... 

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
5 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I think it has made the game better. Just learn to play with the changes.

Yeah it takes all the tactics out of the game, you sail around in a T10 cruiser without the ability to sit in smoke to deal some damage and see how much fun you will have.....

Edited by pittwsix

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Only Cruiser I've played today was my Kut.

As far as that one goes, I just have to remember not to push in mid way in battle. Still same ol keep my [edited] in the rear with the gear.

I'm sure we'll hear all about it over the weekend.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
11 minutes ago, Cruiser_DesMoines said:

My problem with this change is that it feels like a change for Ranked rather than Random. And until Ranked becomes a game mode I can play every day (which it hasn't been), I fail to see the point of changing everything for one mode that only shows up for limited durations.

Really?  Wait until you're in a Mino or Neptune and a gearing sails 6Km of your smoke then some BB deletes you..... i've pulled this off 3 times already today its pretty funny... 

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
1 minute ago, Wulfgarn said:

Only Cruiser I've played today was my Kut.

As far as that one goes, I just have to remember not to push in mid way in battle. Still same ol keep my [edited] in the rear.

I'm sure we'll hear all about it over the weekend.

Yeah but is that fun, you don't deal the same type of damage from 19km away as you do 10km away, plus you can't support the caps anymore, if fact no one can without risk being spotted, and if you get spotted at T10 you get deleted in a cruiser

[TASH]
Members
5,013 posts
8,076 battles
49 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

essentially all Royal Navy Cruisers are unplayable including the Belfast.  

Oh boy...

[KENT]
Members
481 posts
3,167 battles
4 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

Yeah it takes all the tactics out of the game, you sail around in a T10 cruiser without the ability to sit in smoke to deal some damage and see how much fun you will have.....

>Unironically sitting still in smoke

>Not expecting to die

Even before the changes DDs would blindfire torps into smoke, it's why I use smoke as a thing to cover my mistake of getting too close rather than actually using it "offensively."  If you were sitting still in smoke, you would have died last patch and this patch.  I don't see an issue.  

• Cool 5

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
32 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

oCVLMKF.gif

Grow up. Or to quote the average Forum Battleship Player: "Adapt or Die"

Grow up?  I payed money for the Belfast and Kutuzov.  I love both those ships, now i can't play them anymore.   I have also gotten like a dozen RN CA's deleted just by creeping up to their smoke, and just laugh as they panic b/c they are spotted from 7km away 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,305 posts
6,575 battles
6 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

Hindenburg, I have fun, your Point is invalid, grow up

Just now, pittwsix said:

Grow up?  I payed money for the Belfast and Kutuzov.  I love both those ships, now i can't play them anymore.   I have also gotten like a dozen RN CA's deleted just by creeping up to their smoke, and just laugh as they panic b/c they are spotted from 7km away 

I can Play my Fiji. I can conclude that the error is between your chair and your Keyboard. Adapt or Die.

• Cool 3

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
Just now, Slntreaper said:

>Unironically sitting still in smoke

>Not expecting to die

Even before the changes DDs would blindfire torps into smoke, it's why I use smoke as a thing to cover my mistake of getting too close rather than actually using it "offensively."  If you were sitting still in smoke, you would have died last patch and this patch.  I don't see an issue.  

That is what hydro is for, but you're hydro can't pick up the DD 6Km away who spots you and then you get deleted... Why don't you look at some of the Cruisers and what their new detection is firing from smoke... majority of all cruisers can never enter smoke and fire again... 

and for ranked all ships with smoke and RN cruisers will be unplayble 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
6 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

Yeah but is that fun, you don't deal the same type of damage from 19km away as you do 10km away, plus you can't support the caps anymore, if fact no one can without risk being spotted, and if you get spotted at T10 you get deleted in a cruiser

Oh yeah, I agree with that and figured this would happen. I just haven't played any other Cruiser to test them out.

I was fine that BBs got the biggest hit from this, but I'm strictly opposed to Cruisers getting hit.

I see what they're trying to do, but if it's gotta happen, I'd like to see it dialed down for Cruisers.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
41 posts
4,094 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Hindenburg, I have fun, your Point is invalid, grow up

I can Play my Fiji. I can conclude that the error is between your chair and your Keyboard. Adapt or Die.

haha, please scrub what you deal like 50k damage, wait until every DD player figures out how to counter you sitting in smoke, they wont need torps, just sit at 6km away and spot you

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
16 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

it takes all the tactics out of the game

and I think that having ships just sit in smoke and "pewpewpew" away at folks takes all the tactics out of the game. removing larger ships ability to "invisifire" (a mechanic long removed) can only IMPROVE the game as a whole.

7 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

That is what hydro is for, but you're hydro can't pick up the DD 6Km away who spots you and then you get deleted... Why don't you look at some of the Cruisers and what their new detection is firing from smoke... majority of all cruisers can never enter smoke and fire again... 

and for ranked all ships with smoke and RN cruisers will be unplayble 

I think it's funny how RADAR can spot you up to 11.7K away while sitting in smoke, yet THIS mechanic isn't BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE NERFED because it is a mechanic cruisers use and you don't want your ships touched, do you?

5 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

haha, please scrub what you deal like 50k damage, wait until every DD player figures out how to counter you sitting in smoke, they wont need torps, just sit at 6km away and spot you

OK so now I see your argument is totally nonsense, as you can't even stick with it without resorting to stat shaming on someone who disputes your opinion.

Nothing to see here but some children crying, lets just move on.

• Cool 3

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,155 posts
10,138 battles
18 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

Haha, did terrific execution in my Kutuzov theis morning, I absolutely love the new smoke mechanic. 

[OPG]
Supertester
1,899 posts
10,218 battles
19 minutes ago, pittwsix said:

Grow up?  I payed money for the Belfast and Kutuzov.  I love both those ships, now i can't play them anymore.  

First you were offered a full refund for undiscounted doubloons price (which means if you got them via sale you are making out big time).  Second they are both still quite playable, and if whatever style you were using with them before suddenly doesn't work after this patch, guess what, you were playing them wrong before, and not getting their maximum potential.  Learn to play them in this new meta, and you will finally be playing these ships you love correctly.

Consider this patch a public service to all your teammates that had to suffer thru you sucking before.

• Cool 3

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,973 battles

Dear OP;

What?  Where do you get that from?  Unplayable for cruisers?  If your in smoke under 5 KM from UNDISTRACTED bad guys in a cruiser you deserve to be sunk.   Loosing open water concealment firing didn't kill the game.  Players just developed new tactics.   IJN tier 7-9 DD's learned to drive without smoke entirely.   I rather enjoy running a Kagero and Yagumo sans smoke... it's all about moving and positioning, and situational awareness and knowledge who what can move where, when on the maps.  And the jobs of cruiser and DD skippers is going to become even more important because overly shy BB's player will be hiding behind islands even more then they all ready are.  because of the generally mistaken belief that they can carry the fight without CA and DD support.  

Your detect range in smoke for cruiser has changed to 4.5-5.5 Km.  Adapt adjust, overcome, make victory happen.  

The secret of warships play is to never stop moving.. not move to cover, but move from cover to cover, minimizing your vulnerability while maximizing your opportunities to shoot, flanking opposing parking spots so they don't get to play WoT TD style.    If your team surrenders the initiative they deserve exactly whats about to happen to them..   This simply reflects what happens out there in the real world.   You really need to work a bit more on understanding group tactics and tactical maneuver if you think these changes are going to kill the game.  So, sorry, your lacking an understanding of the game mechanics and synergies.  Your going to have far to many players out there who are going to play the older meta and not understanding clearly how the changes effect play.  You might want to work on figuring out how to take advantage of this instead of trying to close the barn door after the horses have all ready fled.

Good Luck, Good Hunting, and use that brain up betwixt yer ears.  It's what it's there for!

Warlord sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 3