Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RivaDragon

Idea: loaning ships to friends - ship consignment

4 comments in this topic

[RIVAN]
Members
31 posts
5,227 battles

I have a clanmate that I play regularly with.  Being a spoiled rotten brat, I have all the premiums and most T10 ships.  My clanmate loves to play but does not have the resources that I do to have all these cool, fun ships.  I would love to be able to loan a clanmate whatever ship he would like to play for a limited amount of time, or until I recall that ship back into my personal fleet.

I think this would be great for the game for many reasons:

• It would inspire my clanmate to play more since there would be more interesting ships at his or her disposal
  • It would most likely result in my clanmate enjoying certain ships and convince him to purchase those that he really likes to play
  • It would strengthen clan relationships
  • It would promote more of a sense of comradeship with friends via team-building and goodwill
  • It would give security to people that are very tempted to give out their login and password to people they play with a lot so that they could enjoy playing fun ships that they do not yet own themselves
  • Parents with higher-tier accounts could loan ships to their children or other family members that have not worked up to those tiers yet so that they could play higher-tier games together. (could inspire lower-tier players to push to get those higher-tier ships)

You could even take it a step further if appropriate:

• WG could charge a VERY small fee in credits or doubloons upon acceptance of a loaned ship, like... 1 doubloon per day or 1000 credits per day, just something to make it worth WG's time to build the sharing interface
  • A shared or consigned ship could generate 1% XP for the loaning player - to promote loaning to friends.
  • This could be restricted to clan members only which would promote clan participation
  • XP generated from a loaned ship would be tricky since the xp stays with the ship.  I guess the XP would have to all convert to freeXP at a significant penalty, or only generate freeXP for the person playing the loaned ship.  Perhaps the player will have the option to convert the XP to freeXP for doubloons when the ship is returned.

The maximum time frame for loaning or consigning could be set at the time of the loan, could be universally fixed, but it must be such that the owner could recall the ship back into their own fleet at any time.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,221 battles

Interesting idea; but what would happen with the XP and credits earned on a loaned ship? What would the repair costs be like, and what would happen to signals and camo mounted?

[RIVAN]
Members
31 posts
5,227 battles

Camo, signals and premium consumables would just have to be the responsibility of the person borrowing the ship.  If the ship were recalled by the ship owner then any mounted items would be returned to the borrower's inventory.

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,795 battles

Hey Riva! - This is quite an interesting proposal and the bullet points you've laid out are very sound from a player desirability perspective.

I think the bottom line on whether this would be possible will come down to some of the following factors:

• The WOWS player base is relatively small for a on-line multiplayer - it typically ranges from a low of 3K to a max of 15K participants (based on NA server numbers, there's also EU, SEA & Russian servers).   This proposal actually has the potential of compressing the number of possible simultaneous players in the player base since multiple folks will be sharing the unlocked potential of a higher capability account instead of playing simultaneously and supporting the player base.
  • You might be able to do this on tech-tree ships, but if you could do this w/ Premiums, this would definitely affect WGs bottom line so it probably would be limited to tech-tree ships.
  • A F2P game like WOWS is based on micro-transactions to support the game - as such you are constantly being asked the question: "is time available to play or paying a little bit important to you?", or "want to change your Commander's spec...for a few doubloons", or "want more ships so you can do Campaigns more quickly...well port slots cost...".   The individual grind on each account is tailored to have you encounter these questions as you move up the tiers so WG has the potential of paying for their game.   Sharing the account will bypass some of these designed revenue collection points that WG has designed into the game so anything of this nature would have to remodel WGs revenue points to be (ideally for WG) more profitable than what is already in the game.
  • The second set of bullet items you outline, regarding how WG can monetize this I think very much comes into play.  From WG's perspective, a rental proposal could be viable if its pricing model is revenue positive wrt any changes reflected by the previous 3 points.

Edited by hangglide42

Sign in to follow this